• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

largest beam antenna you have seen?

Back in the late 60's early 70's a friend of mine was claimed to have the biggest beam in the south. I can remember riding by his qth and seeing this massive mono bander for 20 meters. The antenna itself had a 100 boom. and was at 9 elements. Sat on 3 crank up towers.

The biggest beam in the South belonged to K4SKI in North
Carolina. He had a 100 foot boom made from Rohn 25 and started with 9
elements but cut that 8 in the early 70's. A friend, MP4BIN/W5DYJ (he had a
later A71 call) told me K4SKI was broadcast strength on 20 SSB.
http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2005-03/msg00288.html

k4ski2.jpg

http://hamgallery.com/gallery/K/k4ski2.htm

There is however a long story why he built this antenna.

Someone mentioned the old Soviet "Woodpecker" antenna. Use Google Earth and navigate to 51 deg 18 min North, 30 deg 04 min East. No ground level view, but there are quite a few photographs.

And, while you're in the area, go about 5 or 6 miles on a heading of 15 degrees from that antenna. You'll be at the heart of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I recognized it from that very iconic chimney.

Would love to go to Geraldton. My aunt lives there. Emigrated years ago and never came back. Not that I blame her. Xmas dinner on the beach or sitting next to an eskimo in Scotland. Fucking tough choice. I should have emigrated there myself 6 year ago when I got offered.

I imagine the local qrm is a bit ott mind.
so exactly what is your problem with eskimos??

Largest beam? OH8X's 160m beam. Unfortunately last year a storm brought it down. It weighed over 40 tons and yes, those girders are the antenna transmitting elements. It would be even bigger if it weren't for the bars at the ends acting as capacity hats.

160M_ylahaalta_compressed.jpg

1270510_219226504902335_81604426_o_zps53188bf9.jpg
Motormouth Maul's beam

E="Big Daddy, post: 495046, member: 42356"]What is the biggest antenna you seen or built? Here is one that I help build 2 months ago. stacked 8s on 50 foot booms and 20' stacking kit this is made from couple of laser 500 by maco. it sets at 2025 foot elevation on a mountain top around 32 feet of the ground.[/QUOTE]
Motor

MMM's beam was knocked down this year a few months ago by a storm. He will no doubt have another.

Someone mentioned the old Soviet "Woodpecker" antenna. Use Google Earth and navigate to 51 deg 18 min North, 30 deg 04 min East. No ground level view, but there are quite a few photographs.

And, while you're in the area, go about 5 or 6 miles on a heading of 15 degrees from that antenna. You'll be at the heart of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I recognized it from that very iconic chimney.

A little more about the DUGA-3 antenna (aka Woodpecker): If you use Google Earth, move in until it gets a bit blurry and then turn on "3D Buildings". I didn't realize this area had been 3D-ified, but I thought those towers were going to pop right out of my monitor!

Also, if you've seen "Insurgent", you've seen the DUGA-3 antenna photoshopped as the fence around Chicago. The minute I saw it I recognized it.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I thought the local Collins Radio antenna farm was pretty impressive but it pales in comparison to some of those. However they do have some huge transmitters they can put on line for super secret squirrel things they do for Uncle Sam. I will be going to their radio club meeting soon as my wife works for a division and I got an invite. Hope I can wangle a way to see the ham shack which is still in operation by club members. It would be interesting to see what a ham radio built by them today would look like. No one could likely afford it but I'm sure it would be a thing of beauty.

A little more about the DUGA-3 antenna (aka Woodpecker): If you use Google Earth, move in until it gets a bit blurry and then turn on "3D Buildings". I didn't realize this area had been 3D-ified, but I thought those towers were going to pop right out of my monitor!

Thanks Pat.....I nearly poked my eye out when I switched to 3D while looking at that. ;)

Reactions: Beetle

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated