1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for the right antenna

Discussion in 'Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club' started by moonwalker61, Dec 27, 2018.

1. tba02

tba02 WOOF

Ah yes Kop, but I can clamp an A99 to a 10ft piece of top rail, attach it to my trucks hitch receiver and work portable really easy, and in a low noise area (forest) it works al ot better than the roof mount.

2. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

I've heard of Trashcan parties...

But not like this...
    Lightsovderlapland.jpg

It may explain why the CB band was rocking today...

#47 Handy Andy, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. moonwalker61

moonwalker61 Member

Thanks for that info. I do live in a high wind area but also want a good performing antenna, my mast is about 32' so will that be high enough for a SD?

4. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

You might be surprised at how a 1/4 wave whip compares to those better antennas at the same tip height. I went from a 102 whip to an a99 years ago and kind of felt like I wasted money. If you get bored, in the interim, tie a radial to that old whip and see the difference. You'll actually be able to hear and talk to people that aren't across the street.

S&W357, Road Squawker and Handy Andy like this.
  5. moonwalker61

moonwalker61 Member

radial?- is that also called a ground plane? about 9' long right? today is a good to try that. thanks 543.

6. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Some people call it a ground plane. 8.5 to 9 feet should work fine.

7. moonwalker61

moonwalker61 Member

Got my SPT 500 penetrator set up on a fiberglass ladder today. about 40 deg. off the ground just to get SWRs set, the best I can get is exactly 1.4 on both CH.40 & CH 1. Is that gonna be satisfactory? anybody know how to get the SWRs lower? That's on a 35 foot pole too.

8. snow bird

snow bird Active Member

Yes you can use it. 1.4 ant a bad s.w.r. Could be better . Cant say with out useing a Analyzer On it . But it will work. t