• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for the right antenna

Ah yes Kop, but I can clamp an A99 to a 10ft piece of top rail, attach it to my trucks hitch receiver and work portable really easy, and in a low noise area (forest) it works al ot better than the roof mount.

Reactions: S&W357
Thanks for that info. I do live in a high wind area but also want a good performing antenna, my mast is about 32' so will that be high enough for a SD?

no radials but thank you for the info. I'm just gonna get a better antenna anyway.

You might be surprised at how a 1/4 wave whip compares to those better antennas at the same tip height. I went from a 102 whip to an a99 years ago and kind of felt like I wasted money. If you get bored, in the interim, tie a radial to that old whip and see the difference. You'll actually be able to hear and talk to people that aren't across the street.

Got my SPT 500 penetrator set up on a fiberglass ladder today. about 40 deg. off the ground just to get SWRs set, the best I can get is exactly 1.4 on both CH.40 & CH 1. Is that gonna be satisfactory? anybody know how to get the SWRs lower? That's on a 35 foot pole too.

Got my SPT 500 penetrator set up on a fiberglass ladder today. about 40 deg. off the ground just to get SWRs set, the best I can get is exactly 1.4 on both CH.40 & CH 1. Is that gonna be satisfactory? anybody know how to get the SWRs lower? That's on a 35 foot pole too.
Yes you can use it. 1.4 ant a bad s.w.r. Could be better . Cant say with out useing a Analyzer On it . But it will work. t

Howd it work after it was up on you mast?

swr was the same until the high winds bent the pole in half and the antenna came down on the roof. But now I'm working on a Ron tower with a hinge base. not finished with it yet.

I'll second the A99 idea. I have one on a 15' mast on corner of my deck and have had numerous contacts on each coast as well as Yellowknife, NW Territories. It's supposed to work for 10 meter as well, I believe.

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.