• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for the right antenna

That Kop trash can post is my favorite post of all..............

Last edited:
Reactions: S&W357
Andy, it gives me an excuse to get back here once in a while and continue to bash the 99 et al for the right reasons.

However, any antenna is better than no antenna. I just never appreciated that the 99 deserved a place in the "any antenna" category when so many wire options are available.

My advice after all these years is still the A.R.R.L. Antenna Handbook. I believe there is a 70's-80's version on archive.org if you are willing to look.

My first choice is ladder line and a balun at the xmtr/tuner.
My second choice is a balun at the feed point and a tuner directly after the xmtr.

My first choice for a tuner is the Drake MN-2700 B (balun)
^^^
It's the Pi-L design that is the big attraction.

Bang for the buck? MFJ
Auto?
The cheap 100W kits on evilbay.
CB ops take note. These are brain dead simple 100 kits that actually work. They won't quite tune a downspout or a wet string but nearly will.
tuner.jpg
Take my word for this, the 100W kits aren't 100w kits and the 1000W kits aren't 1000W kits. My suggestion? Use the 100w kits for portable ops and the 1000W kits for mobile and base ops.
SGC, SG series, should be written as $GC-$G. Upside is they are durable and work.
Your proprietary manufacturer's tuner. Icom/KW/Yo-Yo/ Heath/K2,3,4.

Finally, for every comment of "It works just fine for me" Why did you continue to read this far?

Andy, it gives me an excuse to get back here once in a while and continue to bash the 99 et al for the right reasons.

However, any antenna is better than no antenna. I just never appreciated that the 99 deserved a place in the "any antenna" category when so many wire options are available.

My advice after all these years is still the A.R.R.L. Antenna Handbook. I believe there is a 70's-80's version on archive.org if you are willing to look.

My first choice is ladder line and a balun at the xmtr/tuner.
My second choice is a balun at the feed point and a tuner directly after the xmtr.

My first choice for a tuner is the Drake MN-2700 B (balun)
^^^
It's the Pi-L design that is the big attraction.

Bang for the buck? MFJ
Auto?
The cheap 100W kits on evilbay.
CB ops take note. These are brain dead simple 100 kits that actually work. They won't quite tune a downspout or a wet string but nearly will.
View attachment 63774
Take my word for this, the 100W kits aren't 100w kits and the 1000W kits aren't 1000W kits. My suggestion? Use the 100w kits for portable ops and the 1000W kits for mobile and base ops.
SGC, SG series, should be written as $GC-$G. Upside is they are durable and work.
Your proprietary manufacturer's tuner. Icom/KW/Yo-Yo/ Heath/K2,3,4.

Finally, for every comment of "It works just fine for me" Why did you continue to read this far?
Thank you.

Reactions: Crawdad
I used an "original" A99 with ground plane kit for years, with great results. I don't know how the clones perform, so I'll leave that to others to discuss. I still have my A99, but the fiberglass has taken a beating from the sun. I ran it with a 102" steel whip and used the tuning rings to get a good SWR over 11 meters. I don't understand why people dis equipment without giving any reasons. I guess they just like to bitch.

I've been using a Star Duster for years in this valley with success and great SWR. First I used a Workman Star Duster for years until because they didn't put a weep hole for water it froze up and split. I then replaced it with a Sirio Star Duster which had the weep hole. Both were economical antennas for someone on a tight budget and both worked well. Just my HO !

I have posted this before but...
I lived down in a little valley and had a Interceptor 10K and a starduster up, one on each end of the house.
Feed point on the 5/8 was 32 feet, the 1/4 was 30 feet.
There were times the 1/4 wave performed better than the 5/8, depending where I wanted to talk.
Sometimes you get into a situation where the low angle of radiation of the 5/8 is worse because of surroundings were you live.
Antennas are tools that allow us to play radio, you have to chose the one that works for you in your situation.

Jeff.

I will say that at one time I had 2 antenna up in the air because I heard so much rave about the SPT 500 Penetrator and wanted to test it in comparison to my Star Duster to see if it did any better for me. After modifying the 500 to get rid of the rain problem with SWR it worked OK but no better than the Star Duster so I took it down and settled for just the Duster. The SPT 500 sets in my garage waiting in case I ever move to a hilltop where I will try it's radiation pattern again. Had some fun along the way ! LOL

Reactions: S&W357
need a little help here. trying to find the best base CB antenna 10M-11M? trying to get started and need somebody to help me with all kinds of stuff. am base sta.
I have the "Sirio Gainmaster 5/8's wave, the antenna beats the daylights out of an A99. The Gainmaster is "Center fed" and has an RF choke on the base by the feedpoint to "De-couple" the RF signal from the feed line.
You can get these Gainmasters for about the same price as an A99.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The Gainmaster is a good antenna, there are some long threads here about them and how they work.
Marconi has done modeling on them and even a how to homebrew one with a higher power rating in here somewhere.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: UDX-4570

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.