• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOOKING TO BUY SBE CONSOLE VI (6) ANYONE KNOW OF ONE ?

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hello good radio CB folks, I'm looking for a SBE Console 6 out there somewhere who may have one preferrably fully functional but would consider one with a few known issues... I'm willing to pay a decent price or trade adding cash or whatever it takes ! I saw on a another board that was dated some time back a person had one for sale where the channel display would go from 1-99 with some kind of mod I'm unaware of, which would be nice as I do prefer to get me some uppers for DX shooting especially on Sideband SSB...

Somebody has to be in the know out there of one of these out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for ANY help or finding me one VERY much, Retro (Jimbo) 73's

SBE(SideBand Engineering) was an Aussie firm. Console VI was the last radio they made, only made 1,000 of them of which about 500 were exported to the States. It'll run about $600.00 for a working model based on what I've gleaned from collectors. As an aside, one of the desk micswent for about $450.00 a year or so ago at an auction.

Yeah David I am aware it's an Aussie outfit and find that bloody cool LOL... I am prepared to pay $ 500- $ 700 for a good working functional SBE Console VI (6) my friend depending on it's full condition which include it's cosmetic so yes I am indeed serious ! But can throw in some trading too as well so whatever it takes ... Thanks for your input very much bro and you take care ya hear !!

Retro out in the Hoosier state ......

SBE(SideBand Engineering) was an Aussie firm. Console VI was the last radio they made, only made 1,000 of them of which about 500 were exported to the States. It'll run about $600.00 for a working model based on what I've gleaned from collectors. As an aside, one of the desk micswent for about $450.00 a year or so ago at an auction.

I believe that SBE was a US firm based in Watsonville CA (South San Francisco). Their cbs were designed in the US, but were built in Japan. SBE radios were imported, distributed, and sold in Australia through IMARK Corp. Maybe Audioshockwave has some more info out on this.

Nope, know for a fact they were Australian sir. I pulled that data from an old employee on the net. According to him they were in Sidney. Of course, that info is only as reliable as the internet.

SBE was started by a guy named Faust Gonset in 1962 in Rancho Santa Fe, CA. You may recognize the name, as he had started another radio related company some time before that. At that time they made the SB-33 and SB-34, which were SSB only HF rigs for the ham bands.

In the mid 1960's Raytheon bought SBE and turned out a few radios and even an amplifier or two. Apparently it wasn't a good fit for Raytheon, as a few years later they sold SBE to Linear Systems in Watsonville, CA. This was the incarnation of SBE that turned out the Console V, Console VI, and some other notable radios.

Admittedly, I've peiced this very thin history out of internet sources, but the sources have tended to agree over time. I don't know where SBE being an Australian company came from, unless they were bought by Aussies after they quit making CBs.

Yeah TM86... Hollar back at ya bro. I like SBE in general quite well. If I could only find a working Console 6 for a reasonable or somewhat reasonable price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW that's interesting unit 399 for sure thanks sir... Indeed Watsonville, Calif....

Well looks like I may be getting a couple broken SBE Console 6's and work on getting one in nice operating condition possibly two working ...

Retro

WOW that's interesting unit 399 for sure thanks sir... Indeed Watsonville, Calif....

Well looks like I may be getting a couple broken SBE Console 6's and work on getting one in nice operating condition possibly two working ...

Retro

Darn, you'll have two more than I do. ;)

Hello good radio CB folks, I'm looking for a SBE Console 6 out there somewhere who may have one preferrably fully functional but would consider one with a few known issues... I'm willing to pay a decent price or trade adding cash or whatever it takes ! I saw on a another board that was dated some time back a person had one for sale where the channel display would go from 1-99 with some kind of mod I'm unaware of, which would be nice as I do prefer to get me some uppers for DX shooting especially on Sideband SSB...

Somebody has to be in the know out there of one of these out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for ANY help or finding me one VERY much, Retro (Jimbo) 73's

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.