• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco M103 flatside for local????

Ok well I have an original wilson shooting star that I just dont have room for till I get a free standing tower further away from the house, so I have decided to put up a maco m103 horizontal with an imax 2000 mounted 2 feet above it, my question is will the m103 still talk ok on the flatside for local talk? it will be around 60 feet in the air.

Put it up, try it out and see if you're happy with the result. "The Book" says there'll be ~20 dB of loss. In your case, that might not be as bad as it might appear. Each installation is different.

I assume "flat side" means horizontally polarized.

Ok well I have an original wilson shooting star that I just dont have room for till I get a free standing tower further away from the house, so I have decided to put up a maco m103 horizontal with an imax 2000 mounted 2 feet above it, my question is will the m103 still talk ok on the flatside for local talk? it will be around 60 feet in the air.

Tin Can, here is a link to my Ezenc models I made an posted in it own thread. It shows what my Eznec models show if you place an Imax above my Maco 103c horizontal model.

It also includes an Imax with and without horizontal and slanted 72" inch radials. Also notice that the antenna noted in the () is the one with an active feed point.

View attachment Maco 103c with Imax above.pdf

No, I haven't tried a beam calculator yet, I use an idea that I got from my old radio mentor a long time ago, and that gets me real close. Then I start tweaking the model until I see trends start and stop.

I'll check this out however, it may be a lot more simple to use, cause my way requires a calculator.

My first beam was a Y-Quad, and I didn't find it particularly effective, but that was long long ago and I've learned a thing or two since. I did finally put a conventional yagi reflector on the Y-quad and I thought it was better...but that could have been my bias working too. It would be an interesting project to see what my Eznec idea for a quad reflector could predict.

I have heard guys that prefer the quad as the reflector comment how much better it works in the real world, but I've never modeled the idea. I could be wrong, but as I usually find, I doubt it will make that much of a difference.

I could be surprised though at what Eznec might predict. This is often why I do my models...just to see how they line up with what is reported by others.

the maco 103 will do some talking local on hoz.. however.. i have a 103 n what i did was hoz mounted but i tilted it @45 degrees i get the best of v-n-h without any change in swr's if you decide to mount urs hoz a 5ft mast should be used for the imax.. not 2ft.. good luck..

Anyone want to give there thoughts... I’m putting up a Maco flat 6 ..with a Maco V500 above leaving off ground plane radials . What I’m wondering the flat 6 has a back door reflector will this cause a problem. Thanks Mike in NJ

Reactions: murdog
Anyone want to give there thoughts... I’m putting up a Maco flat 6 ..with a Maco V500 above leaving off ground plane radials . What I’m wondering the flat 6 has a back door reflector will this cause a problem. Thanks Mike in NJ
If you look at the Maco website, you will see there are others using that mounting method with good results. I doubt Tom would post those photos on the company website if the two antennas interacted in a way that would noticeably degrade the performance of either one. If you do it, you will need the 5/8 wave as close to the top of the boom as possible. The further the boom is from the base of the 5/8 wave, the less the beam will act like radials and decouple the feedline from the 5/8 wave antenna.

Reactions: murdog
Jersey Mike: The main issue will be getting the V58 Tuned without the radials. You just about have to have both antennas in place to do that. IMHO
I had a Sigma 5/8th up years ago above a big Yagi. I had over 8ft separation from Boom to radials. Worked well, but hellofa wind load on the rotor.
I took the Sigma down and put a 1/2 wave Ringo up and "SWEAR" it worked better than the 5/8th's.(since no radials required on the Ringo) And Yes it was "slightly directional" off the ends of the Yagi.
So that's my story.
All the Best
Gary

Noticed the same thing with being slightly directional, I use an Imax 2000 above a big yagi and it works as good as can be expected.

Would running a yagi vertical be better with a fiberglass mast?
The further you put the coax from the driven element the better.
Personally I've had many more "construction" issues running vertical as opposed to horizontal. The wind kicks the crap out of vertical beams.
My non scientific results are it takes more power to get the same results. ( running skip with locals). Ground gain means something.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated