• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made a Moxon

Wav, it is alight footed antenna.
It seems to have quick response to varying signals.

What I mean is that when conditions are in solid it stays right in there netting me too many contacts to respond to, then when conditions drop it seems to easily pick up on changes and hears the those signals that are just in there. It is characteristically quiet, too.

I have run some antennas that work well under optimum conditions, but this one works well no matter what I have been experiencing so far.

I still haven't gotten/taken the opportunity to raise the resonance to where I operate, so I am not sure if all I am experiencing is all there is with respect to the F/B. We'll see.

Wav, it is alight footed antenna.
It seems to have quick response to varying signals.

What I mean is that when conditions are in solid it stays right in there netting me too many contacts to respond to, then when conditions drop it seems to easily pick up on changes and hears the those signals that are just in there. It is characteristically quiet, too.

I have run some antennas that work well under optimum conditions, but this one works well no matter what I have been experiencing so far.

I still haven't gotten/taken the opportunity to raise the resonance to where I operate, so I am not sure if all I am experiencing is all there is with respect to the F/B. We'll see.

HOMERBB,

From what I understand the MOXON has the same gain across it's use able bandwidth not just the target frequency it was designed for like a yagi does.

A Yagi, the further away from the center freq the less performance it has.

The MOXON is supposed to perform the same across it's entire bandwidth.

I am considering one for 12 meters, it has been HOT lately and the IMAX2000 is making contacts from the Black Sea to Australia, just makes me curious as to what I am "NOT" hearing with the IMAX, perhaps a MOXON is the answer.

Homer, great info on the build. I am getting up materials to build a 11 meter moxon. I will be constructing a solid square with a boom out of pvc. I'm not sure the wire lengths I have is correct. I have used two online calculators that have given me different lenghts. Would you mind calculating the lengths so I have a comparison? I will use #12 gauge wire and frequency is 27.205. On the feedpoint of your moxon, what is the distance you used between each wire? I'm not sure how far apart is too much. I will post pics during the build to put up once I get started. 73s

About the gain, perhaps there is nothing to be added by raising the resonant frequency up. If that equally applies to the back door, then the expected rejection is not what my reading led me to expect. It has just slightly more F/B rejection than my Vector 4000 Omni.
I wqnt to raise the resonant center because of:

1. It's where I operate,
2. I want to see where the bandwidth actually lands with respect to 10 meter and 11 meters,
3. I want to see if the F/B is sharpest on the resonant frequency to satisfy myself.

I have also read that according to modeling and experience the Moxon is better at around 19' elevation, and I am nearly twice that high with it. I might be will to lower it, but I have seen no models of this anywhere and I do not possess that skill set.

Homer, great info on the build. I am getting up materials to build a 11 meter moxon. I will be constructing a solid square with a boom out of pvc. I'm not sure the wire lengths I have is correct. I have used two online calculators that have given me different lenghts. Would you mind calculating the lengths so I have a comparison? I will use #12 gauge wire and frequency is 27.205. On the feedpoint of your moxon, what is the distance you used between each wire? I'm not sure how far apart is too much. I will post pics during the build to put up once I get started. 73s
27205_zpsee04c723.jpg

What is important is that the tails of your elements be what is specified. I have a 1" space between the two haves of the driven wire. the result is that my element length on the driven wire is 1" wider than is specified by the program, but my actual wire length is not.
As I have said before, build it in a manner that allows you to lengthen or shorten your wires for fine tuning.

Just so everyone understands, I do know what the inside joke is.
davegrantsr is one of the few who knows from whence my HomerBB name derives.

I answer to Homer with pride, however, Homer is the mascot of THD - The Home Depot. BB stands for Big Box stores. They are my long time employer. Looking closely at my avatar will introduce you to Homer, a large nosed, bib overall wearing somewhat rotund DIYer who personifies the happy personality of those who shop Home Depot.
And I resemble that remark ;)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
HomerBB,

Looking at some of the other sites for the MOXON I do see it mentioned several times where the F/B is not that good, they get basically 18db rejection when the yagi is 180 degrees from the TX station , roughly about 3 S units rejection. Still not bad for a wire yagi and close spacing.

Good thread thanks for starting it and fantastic instructions on how to build one.

Just a note here.
The Moxon has been doing very well. Sometimes going from the vertical Q2v4k to this horizontal beam is all the difference in working a station or not.
I had questions within myself regarding the directionality and the F/B of the antenna. I added a rotator to it and this has helped far more than anything to reveal the sharpness of its beam. A few degrees off a long distance (Arkansas to Australia) signal and it goes away to the point of being unreadable until I turn back into it. I will report more about the backdoor as I experiment with it more.
Also. I shortened the wire just a little on the Moxon and brought the 1.35:1 on the SWR meter in the shack to a 1.2:1. I will have to bring it down again and do a little more until I get it where I want it.

Homer

rotator02_zps9c84aff0.jpg

HOMERBB ?????

OK that does it 12 meter MOXON tomorrow, maybe a 17 meter dual bander.

Hard to beat that piece of wire.

Now with longer fishing poles in the front you could make a three element.

I have seen pictures of a four element 20 meter moxon in Croatia I think. Big honking antenna, big signal also.

Last edited:
I understand, but a photo is a gift that keeps on giving.
Some folks need the encouragement that your proficiency could provide. Maybe you'll rethink it and post up some encouragement. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.