• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257hp Garbage

No, just the most recent version with black display etc. The version number is usually used on the back end of things (resellers/shops) so they know what version is in inventory. Sorry for the confusion.

Copper has even worse customer service. And they are crooks at that. If you order your 2950 "un-touched" they keep the module that converts it.

As far as your 257 whats up with your antenna? Mosfet finals are very touchy on high SWR's. No matter though, Magnum will get it fixed up and back to you. I love my 257HP.
Got my new rci2950dx from copper it had the mod kit in it.It was doa,but sent it to ranger on a Monday,they called Wedsday and asked what i wanted it to key on am/fm/ssb/cw and i got it back on a Friday with my shipping costs.No way i can say anytrhing bad about rci.73 de n0zna late note its still 10/12 mtr radio

Update On Magnum 257hp

Ok since I got my Magnum 257hp from the shop, I do have to say the radio which is used on 10 meter only really performs well, audio reports have been great. The radio does rock when it is working. I just worried about how long it will work for. Hopefully they got the kinks out of it.

Ok since I got my Magnum 257hp from the shop, I do have to say the radio which is used on 10 meter only really performs well, audio reports have been great. The radio does rock when it is working. I just worried about how long it will work for. Hopefully they got the kinks out of it.

Some tips for you:
*NEVER run it at full output continuously.
*Mount a small 12v fan on the heat sink.
*Don't attempt to get the radio 'peaked and tuned''; it already is.

Getting more watts out of this radio will only shorten the life of the output transistors. Messing with/turning up the ALC will also harm the radio.

Robb,
Thanks for the info, I ordered a small fan for the heat sink, how would you attach it to the heat sink? Can I have it standing up behind it, would that work? I was thinking about doing that and powering by a cigarette lighter plug that has a wall plug attached to the other end.

I use clear silcone gasket sealer, put a few dabs on the fan solid parts, stick in on the heat sink, turn the radio so the fan is upright, let it sit overnight, wire it to a 12v source that works with the power volume switch and wa la constant cooling anytime the radio is on(y)

Magnum or Ranger

I have the Magnum 257hp and the RCI-2950dx, I am thinking about getting another radio maybe Magnum s9 175 nitro or RCI-2970n. Looking for something that puts out decent wattage and sounds great and I do want talk back and echo. Any suggestions out there?

S-9 series

Well you won't have to worry about that for much longer. They are going to have to change to SMD and a much better sounding and stable radio before the year is out. Nobody want's to build them with discreet components anymore.
Anytone have thrown down the gauntlet!

Thanks for the input, any suggestions I would like to get great audio and over 100 watts, how is the 2970n? I love my 2950 dx. I was wondering what else would be a good choice.

@ pkmak12... the magnum s-9 is garbage... the entire S series is junk, might as well buy a Galaxy

Mr FX you must have been mistaken about the S9 you must have it mixed up with a Galaxy 959, I almost wore the chrome the clairfier knob on the 959 that I had using it on sideband, the knob on my S9 actually has dust on it and I use it almost everyday, the only clean knob on the S9 is the rf gain because I have to turn it down from time to time because the recieve is so good

@ pkmak12... the magnum s-9 is garbage... the entire S series is junk, might as well buy a Galaxy

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

I find that many radio operators don't know how to take care of their modulation level - especially on AM - and often judge any radio by how many watts it puts out. At the same time they make no serious considerations about the qualities of their antenna and how to set it up right.

Seen far more Galaxy radios that came out of the box as junk compared to Magnums - by far. Not opinion; just observation. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that Galaxy radios are all junk, as I have been using a DX 99V in my mobile for years after aligning it.

You get what you pay for
-AND-
A radio is only as good as the person operating it . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned