• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mars Cap Mod?

14.150-14.350 usb

general portion of the band is 14.225-14.350

many people warming up and finding/holding their frequency till the contest starts in about 10 min

14.070.00??? is this right?

No voice communication allowed on that part of 20 meters. Look for SSB phone on the chart I posted a link to a few days ago. Scan the general portion of the band that Camaro1 posted and you will find something. There is less traffic on the frequencies reserved for advanced and extra class operators.

I am hearing some stations!!! Thank you all(y)(y)(y)(y)(y):D:D:D:D
I'm running my sirio 5000 trucker (hard mount (breadlove cab top), and I can hear 10 20 40 75 80 meters. I'm in central oregon and hear, for the most part east to just over the rocky mts., and south az. nm. cal., north to can. ,and once ak. Night time is best for me. I don't know how your ft450d is set up maybe you could do a video for us to see. my best listening is if I go a few miles out of town to get away from all electrical noise in town,( I live near a sub station).
I have run my full wave delta loop with good luck at 32ft to the feed point.

Reactions: Slowmover
wow just like Brett said unscrewed the coax fro back or radio left center pin in and bingo!!!
Interesting, glad that worked!

Now that you can listen, try this cool website to catch the current Dx and what frequency they are on.

I should note in the Ham world, Dx is everything off the mainland and everything else is stateside not considered Dx.

The website is Dx summit and used by many people to catch current Dx.

On the sites main page, there is a filter tab where you can filter only select bands and modes which makes it easier to read without other bands and modes you don't need.

On the filter tab, Try 14 MHz and select the Phone tab for mode. These will be highlighted after selected. At night, select 7 MHz for nighttime Dx. This will give you a good start for now then play around with it as you learn it more.

One tip to look for is the first column labeled Spotter, this shows who posted the Dx station. Look for U.S. call signs starting with A, K, N, and W in the spotter column. That way you should/maybe be able to hear that Dx call. The other call signs in the spotter column are foreign calls and that's what they are hearing from their part of the world and not likely you will hear it.

The Dx column is the Dx station of course and the Country column is the Country of the Dx station.

Here is the link.

http://www.dxsummit.fi

Have fun listening!

Last edited:
Thank you my friend. I have a dipole coming is this just plug and play never used one before. Do I need a certain length of coax?

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you my friend. I have a dipole coming is this just plug and play never used one before. Do I need a certain length of coax?

Thanks in advance!!
Yes, you need one long enough to go from the back of the radio to the connector on the antenna after you hang it up as high as you can get it.

No more, or less is necessary.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
As long as it has a 1:1 balun, you should be fine. Like Fourstringburn stated, let the coax hang asfar down as possible. At least the first 9ft or more. Don't know how you are going to hang it as in, horizontal or inverted V. I have the best luck with horizontal ones. Less noise, and if you hang them high they really work well for what they are. Think you said you were getting a long wire correct? Or did you get one for 11 meters. I've used my 11m one for listening to many of the other bands. Even though it's tuned for 27.400, it actually works well on many of the other bands and frequencies for listening. Anyhow. Here is a couple of pics of mine that I just hung up this past weekend. It's at about 40ft or a little more. Used an 11m Dr. Dipole 1:1 balun, the Unadilla, and I cut the legs for 27.400. It tuned out very well on the MFJ meter. Used a 60ft piece of coax as it's what I had laying around, LMR240. And it was enough to hang it that high and have plenty to basically drop into my radio room. Coax goes almost to the ground. About 3ft off it to keep from hitting it with the mower. Anyhow. Have fun with the new dipole, and read the manual on it and see how they say to hang it for what you want out of it. Enjoy. Here are the pics of mine.
73 and God Bless.

Attachments

• IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 201

dxChat