• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mars Cap Mod?

For true HF radios that you can grow into, you can't go wrong with the Yaesu Ft450d. They are around $750 or so new and probably around $550. to $600. on the used market.
This radio has all the basics covered and them some. HF/6 meters, filtering, basic EQ, contour filtering which is sort of an EQ, lighted knobs, full metering, etc. And it looks nice too!

The used market can turn up some nice old rigs for good buys under $500. Like Kenwood 450's and Ts-50 for example.

Reactions: Slowmover
I use the ftdx1200 for HF ssb. The Mars mod for the 1200 is easy with a fine tip soldering iron and a steady hand. With just a quick glance at the specs the 450 has all the features I need but the RX on the 1200 is supposed to be a little better. For the price the 450 looks like a good deal.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yeah the FTDX 1200 is nice and I hear plenty of those radios on the air daily. That model has a more useful 3KHz roofing filter where the FT450D only has a 10KHz filter along with a bandscope and waterfall display. That's definitely step up from the 450.

For someone looking for a radio in that same price range, (1500.00 or less ) I would seriously consider the new Icom 7300 with the direct sampling technology.

The 7300 also has the real time bandscope waterfall display and with the Icom BSA-1 software, you can have a full computer screen image of that display as well as full computer control of your radio if you wish.

IMHO, all those radios over $3000, what are really getting that's really substantially different than lower cost radios?

More eye candy!

Reactions: 222DBFL
The FT450D is a good radio and from the ones I have heard on the air on 11m SSB they sound very good. Great price for a new radio as well. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun with it!!

one more question with he radio modded can I still listen to the other bands?
Yes,

All these radios have full coverage receive capability typically from 300 KHz up to 54 MHz. The mars/cap mod is just for full coverage frequency transmitting capability within that same range.

i bought both my rigs from gigaparts.
but i kept them stock. i have my rci 2995 for 11 meters.

Man all the the hf rigs are eye candy!!! The ft450d is in my price range and maybe just maybe I can operate it..
I have a FT450D, only a month old now. Hands down the best rig I have had yet. Loved my Optima mk3, the rci2970n4 was fun but a waste of money. FT 450d my first real radio. I use it mobile SSB. Get one, some say it's an entry radio, and it may be but I can see it as an only radio. I have never goten so meany good reports! MTC is a good place to get gear.

Reactions: Road Squawker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned