• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree??

I've heard a couple of the Yaseu ft450's and idk what mic they are using, but it is dead on freq and sounds great as well!! You can find them used or new for under $600 man. Stop spending $50 here and there on cb's and get save up like you the hobby and really want to get a better radio for SSB use. JMHO. Put it into another seperate account and just put whatever you can in every week and before you know it you'll have enough!! It's what I did and it does work! Have it taken out of your check or whatever you want to do and forget about it unless a dire emergency happens!!! Again, this is JMHO and how I had to make myself do it to save some money up. I now have 3-4 seperate accounts that money goes into before I see my share!!

I've heard a couple of the Yaseu ft450's and idk what mic they are using, but it is dead on freq and sounds great as well!! You can find them used or new for under $600 man. Stop spending $50 here and there on cb's and get save up like you the hobby and really want to get a better radio for SSB use. JMHO. Put it into another seperate account and just put whatever you can in every week and before you know it you'll have enough!! It's what I did and it does work! Have it taken out of your check or whatever you want to do and forget about it unless a dire emergency happens!!! Again, this is JMHO and how I had to make myself do it to save some money up. I now have 3-4 seperate accounts that money goes into before I see my share!!

Truth!

Have it taken out of your check or whatever you want to do and forget about it unless a dire emergency happens!!! Again, this is JMHO and how I had to make myself do it to save some money up. I now have 3-4 seperate accounts that money goes into before I see my share!!
I get paid once a month. I live like a hermit all month long and when the first of the month comes around whatever I have left goes straight into my savings account that is not linked to my checking account. When I reach my goal for a particular purchase, I buy what I need. Then I start rebuilding my hobby cash all over again.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Bearcat
All you need is one radio to talk or key on. Nobody needs multiband hf rigs. you say you have ranger 2950, the dx model can be converted to 40 or 20.

I get paid once a month. I live like a hermit all month long and when the first of the month comes around whatever I have left goes straight into my savings account that is not linked to my checking account. When I reach my goal for a particular purchase, I buy what I need. Then I start rebuilding my hobby cash all over again.

I set a bare minimum that I want in my account. At the end of the month after all bills are paid etc. I take out what ever is left over that minimum I set and move it to a safe hiding spot. The money is still available in an emergency but out of sight out of mind. It also forces me to pull it out and look at the cash and decide if I REALLY need to spend it. I bought a 64 foot Trylon tow and several new antennas rotator etc tghat way. I also went to Jamaica last year the same way. It is the system that worked for me. YMMV

How hard is it to convert a cobra 25 to 40m?
I don't know, it is a good bit beyond my technical ability. At the very least eproms and sliders would be needed but the lack of ssb would be a deal breaker. I only mention it because I have a rebranded 2950dx and have seen the vfo on 7mhz by playing with jumpers. There is also a need to solder in disc capacitors to retune inductors to a different band.

I don't know, it is a good bit beyond my technical ability. At the very least eproms and sliders would be needed but the lack of ssb would be a deal breaker. I only mention it because I have a rebranded 2950dx and have seen the vfo on 7mhz by playing with jumpers. There is also a need to solder in disc capacitors to retune inductors to a different band.

There are cobra 25 40m rigs that are ssb on you tube

There are cobra 25 40m rigs that are ssb on you tube
I took a look through two pages yet all I found was a cobra 148 on 40 metres which is an entirely different beast. I don't doubt that it is possible, just that it would be expensive and technically difficult.

I took a look through two pages yet all I found was a cobra 148 on 40 metres which is an entirely different beast. I don't doubt that it is possible, just that it would be expensive and technically difficult.
There would still be a lot of features missing like notch filters, IF shift, and you still would not have a good serviceable radio. I buy radios all the time
for less money than it would take to convert a CB radio for the lower bands.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated