• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree??

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
well I don't think I'm going to be able to afford anything close to $500 range for a HF transceiver as originally posted...I just want to get on the air..is there anything in the $200 range used? Or stick with Chicken Band...damn expensive ass radios

Gotta agree with all the above!! Save your dollars and get a real HF radio. I only paid $300 for my kenwood ts140s and it works well. Got it off eBay and it actually works well. Great radio for what I paid for it IMO. Will beat the pants off any export radio!! Look around on your local CL. You may find something this way as well. For what it's worth, even an older HF radio can be had if you look around. I may have gotten lucky but I'm pretty sure you can get a kenwood ts140s for about $300 or less if you look around. Not a bad radio. Or something similar. Or do like others said and save your pennies and get a new radio. Either way, at least try a bit. Took me a few months of searching before I ended up with 2 HF radios within a week LOL! The kenwood ts140s and an Icom746, which is my main radio. The kenwood was to be the main radio but while bidding on it with a day or 2 left I got the Icom and then won the kenwood for like $250 plus shipping. I know there are deals out there, just have to look around and spend some time possibly bidding on a radio you like and is within your limit. Sometimes you get lucky.

Reactions: Bearcat
I know it's frustrating to say the least, but really look around for like a kenwood ts440s or something you like. The choices are abundant if you search right. Search for Icom, Kenwood, and Yaseu HF radios and see what comes up on EBay. I bet you can spend all day just looking at differnet radios, and heck you might find that lucky about to end auction of a good radio that slipped through the cracks. It does happen from time to time!! Just read the listing carefully and make and examine the pics well. Make sure the radio has been tested and acknowledged to be working. And also try not to get one that is a "no returns at all" type deal as well. Get one with at least a if don't like return. Again, if you can wait, save your pennies, literally and get a new radio, or if you are looking for many options or band coverage, look at some of the used ones. Good luck and hope you find something.

There is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. Most of my stuff was bought used and I have had little issues with it. Don't rule out the older tube rigs like the Kenwood 520, 820, 830 or the Yaesu 101 series or 102. Yes you have to re-tune the radio when switching bands but once you get the hang of it you can do it in seconds.

Its frustrating because I'm feeding a large family...and you guys know you pay the bills first play later...but getting on the radio would be a stress reliever..my Elmer says to search for the kenwood ts440...but Every single radio mentioned are all solid radios..I have always liked the Icom 718 or the 706mk

New rigs like the Icom IC 7200 are under $800.00 the Icom IC 718 under $575.00 rigs like the Yaesu FT 450D under $750.00 just a little food for thought

Hamfests, craigslist, local newspaper etc etc they are there just need to take time and you will come across something soon.

Also upgrade to General so you can enjoy full HF privileges 100 watts and a wire you can make some great DX contacts

Reactions: Bearcat and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated