• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree??

Agree that contacting your local Amateur radio club might yield some good results.

The guy who was my Elmer has been a ham for over 50 years - he has a room full of surplus gear and was kind enough to provide me with my first HF setup on an extended loan.

As you spend more time in the hobby you will find that equipment just sort of gravitates toward you. Remember this because one day YOU will be in a position to help someone out.

It's all part of the hobby.

If I had your call sign I could look up your area and see what repeaters are in your neighborhood. A handy takie could key up a repeater and increase your range. I talked over 65 miles with it.

If I had your call sign I could look up your area and see what repeaters are in your neighborhood. A handy takie could key up a repeater and increase your range. I talked over 65 miles with it.

I have a yaesu ft 2500 mobile that I am going to set up as a base station but haven't gotten power supply or coax, antenna ect

I have a yaesu ft 2500 mobile that I am going to set up as a base station but haven't gotten power supply or coax, antenna ect
Buy your power supply from Megawatt Power supplies. They are sponsors of the site and make the best power supplies. Reliable too. I have two of the 400 watt power supplies and run them everyday and they have not faltered at all. Buy them from the amazon link on this board and it will ship REAL FAST! Good company, great product.
Two meter antennas are cheap compared to some bands. Main Trading Company is a great source of information and products.
If you are handy with tools you could make your own antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcat
You should at least be on 10 meters as a tech. There are plenty of good cb radios that can be converted to 10 at little to no cost. And radios like cobra 148 GTL , Navaho 458, ect sound real good.

It's all about time and money...I have been in the radio hobby for 30 years but I'm starting all over grrrr

It's all about time and money...I have been in the radio hobby for 30 years but I'm starting all over grrrr
I hear ya, Bearcat. Sometimes 125 dollars might as well be 125 thousand dollars when your budget is tight! Keep your chin up, keep saving what you can, and keep looking for the right deal at the right time.

Brett

Reactions: 222DBFL and Bearcat
I hear ya, Bearcat. Sometimes 125 dollars might as well be 125 thousand dollars when your budget is tight! Keep your chin up, keep saving what you can, and keep looking for the right deal at the right time.

Brett

That is so true. And why I have no new radios or test equipment. I buy used broken items and repair them myself. Even my Kenwood TS-2000 has less than 200 bucks in it.
You can check out the shop/tour of my YouTube channel to see all my junk.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJpeSrEjtVk1YtRU3FrpQQ/videos

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307 and Bearcat
All of my gear is classic except for my Icom IC-7100. I do the same thing buy the older broken/unwanted gear and rebuild it.

All of my gear is classic except for my Icom IC-7100. I do the same thing buy the older broken/unwanted gear and rebuild it.

Well I'm saving..it's frustrating that ham radios are so expensive...it's hard to fathom that some cost more than my car buhaha

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.