• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna to base !

Used the k40 as a base and this is what I did. I used a 2ft. X 2ft x 1/8in. Steel plate and put the antenna on top of our aluminum Florida room. I also ran a ground rod and wire to the plate. This helped get the swr reading to a good reading across the 11 meter band. If memory serves, it was 1.1 to 1.15 across the 40 Channels. It worked okay, but I ended up installing a horizontal dipole and it just plain smoked the k40 in all aspects. They work okay for local talking but dx'ing is a chore with one. A simple inverted v or horizontal wire dipole at 20+ ft strung between 2 trees or whatever you can find, will work much better and costs about the same to make, 5-10 dollars. If you want a balun they aren't very expensive either and a whole setup can be had on eBay for less than 20 dollars shipped. I promise the effort in trying to make that k40 work well just isn't worth it IMO. There are easier options. JMO. God bless.

I tried a horizontal dipole once but had a tough time with my SWR (I think because of its close proximity to the rain gutter on my house eave.)

I hung it there so it wouldn't be an eyesore in our backyard. Think I may quit worrying about how it looks and give it another try by stringing it between a 15' mast and a red oak tree. I know that's not quite 1/2 wave high, but it's close.

Reactions: 1 person
Tried that myself with no so good results. When I got it up between a couple trees, man what a difference. Make sure you orientate it to where you want to talk, I.E., north/south, or east/west. Or anywhere in between.

Sounds good.

In some other post, I think I remember the Crotchety Old Guy suggesting using a 10' extension cord and splitting it down the middle. That leaves more than enough for each leg. I might try that.

As far as the ground plane goes, I'm still hoping someone can answer my question about knowing when I have the radials at the best angle without the use of an antenna analyzer.

You have to remember that the base load is part of that antenna, and without knowing exactly how much wire is wound in the load, it would be hard to give an actuate answer. IMO it's not worth the effort for the little bit of gain if any you might see. Like I said, been there and done that. Had a proper steel plate as well for some ground plane and a had the plate grounded as well. It just didn't perform very well, had it about 12ft above the ground and I could talk locally okay and I mean okay, but dx was just about useless!! The dipole needs to be placed properly and it will work. I will assure til it will knock the socks off the k40!! It only took me a few days and I had the dipole up!! Now I have an older a99 or similar that is all aluminum minus the top section, at 36ft to the tip. It's an okay antenna, I am looking forward to something better in the near future. I am not home a lot, so I just haven't had the time to replace it with a good one. But I will. Anyway, like I said, the radials may have to be a trial and error thing. Go get 4 102" as whips and start playing around. It's how a lot of guys find out what works best. JMO. God bless.

Riverman, in no way am I trying to put you down sir. Just trying to save you some major headache!! The k40 isn't a real good mobile antenna to begin with IMO. And it took a lot of work to get it working properly for me any how. That's why I say it's not worth the effort. Have a great one and god bless.

No worries, 222!

Don't know why I have this fascination with k40's, Wilson's and the such as base antennas, but think I have finally seen the light. Believe I'll move on to either the dipole or a gp with a 102" steel whip vertical.

I know it would be much easier to simply put up a 99 or Imax but don't really want anything that tall and fooling with these homemade antennas is fun albeit frustrating.

Thanks again.

You know if you like having your own flagpole you can have a dandy flagpole antenna as a result. You'll have to height you need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
I had to mount my mast pipe next to the chimney on the side of the house. Painted all black it blends well.

My neighbor has a nice extendable flagpole that goes from six feet tall to about twenty. That would make a great antenna mast. Could simply lower it during thunderstorms to reduce the chance of wind/lightning damage.

Mount a good antenna to that and be done. That would put the tip right at 30ft give or take a couple ft depends on how deep the flagpole get put. That is a great start. Add a 1 1/2" conduit to that and have even more height. And with proper grounding and just unplugging your coax during a storm can pretty much guarantee damage free equipment. That and a good surge arrester. I currently have 4 ground rods in the ground, 3 8ft and 1 10ft. Adding another this weekend. A 10ft one. Solid #2awg is used to ground different points of my mast pipe. Get a good antenna and you will be set sounds like! Go get that flagpole and put it to use!

His flagpole isn't for sale.

Haven't checked to see what a new one would cost.

I don't plan on using a ground rod. We are in our third year of extreme drought here (North Texas) and I doubt if I could get one a foot in the ground with a sledge hammer. You might have seen us on the national news. Our lakes are so low, the city has begun adding sewer water to our drinking water.

I have a nice 15 foot mast. From everything I've read, if I put up a solarcon 99, my neighbors will hear me on their radios and see me on TV. Even if I'm barefoot.

I haven't read about dipoles and homemade gp's bleeding. So am sticking to them.

Was going to add a smiley face at the end of that sentence but when I tried my McAfee Site Advisor warning popped up and said it was a dangerous location. Tried a second time, same results. Gonna be one of those days I guess.

They aren't easy to get in sometimes, but they do work. I believe the vid above uses a bucket of water, haven't watched it yet, pounded my share of them in. Just for done a few minutes ago pounding a 10 footer in, a 5/8" one at that lol. My arms are jello. I now have 5 ground rods in the ground. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.