• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOSLEY 27 MHz Antenna Designs - GROUND PLANE - DP-275-27 - "Devant Special" 11 Meters

Looks good, but I question the claim of 5/8 while being only 19 feet long. Same claim from my Sigma Viper 19 footer. But that's a topic for another post. For $400 for this guy .... I would put $70 with that and get the 22.5 foot Colossal 10K from Zero-Five.

This antenna is a myth.... it doesn't exist
GROUND PLANE DP-275-27 “Devant Special” $399.95
Still listed in current catalog/price list.

ITEM
DESCRIPTION
ANT-DI-10
ANT-DI-6
ANT-DP-275-27

Dispatcher Series, 5/8 wave ground plane, 10 meter
Dispatcher Series, 5/8 wave ground plane, 6 meter
Dispatcher Series, 5/8 wave ground plane, 11 meter "Devant Special"

I have tried, without much success, to model the Mosley Devant antenna.

We also find no real-world evidence to support this antenna pattern and gain performance.

Possibly, we can ask DB to try his hand at this one. He is the only person that I know, off hand, that can model antennas.

COMMENTS:

IMO my I-10K with Trombone tuner produces both horizontal and vertical Far-field patterns...with significant RF magnitude for both.

I also have an idea that the Devant, with a similar Trombone tuner, might possibly produce a similar pattern to the I-10K. I see this pattern in my EZNEC models, so I suspect that the I-10K is not your typical 5/8 wave pattern.

IMO, the Devant maybe as unique in this regard. It may well add some Horizontal signals into the Far-Field that may be of benefit to contacts.

My real-world observations support my idea here, but I have never physically tested for any notable horizontal benefits. Maybe this could be a project for someone that owns an I-10K.

Marconi

Last edited:
Well, I think no one has bought this antenna. Probably Mosley are reluctant to provide real pictures because they don’t want the competition to copy their design.

I am just wondering !

It's expensive and just looking at the base of the antenna where the radials mount looks cheap.
Like molded abs or plastic.
The 1\8 rod for the trombone matching section requires stand off plastic pieces to support them.
Like Marconi, I think the long horizontal matching loops on the 10k have some effect on horizontal signals.
I have no hard data to back that up it's just a gut feeling with the experience running a old sp500 and then comparing signals on the beam to the 10k.
This is probably the magic in the deviant model.
Mosley has a reputation of building nice solid beams for HF, but this antenna looks out of place with the rest of there line too me.
Almost like a gimmick to sell to the CB crowd.
It is hard to find pictures of other magic antennas too
Dan's Enforcer
The Merlin
Interceptor 10k
Shockwave
The Sparkamatic
The Big Hair Fullwave
The Wolf .64
The Javelin
You can find pictures on a web site but hardly ever in the wild.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.