• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My first Cobra 200GTL an absolute nightmare

First off Tony ,IM sorry for your problems , IM very surprised to see that DTB hasn't keyed up on this one ? It's just like anything else , I've heard the pros and cons on just about any radio that comes along. I personally have not owned one of these radios but IM still impressed with them, I've heard a few by themselves on stock mic's and I personally liked what I heard. DTB has had nothing but good to say about these radios for the most part ,pound for pound and for the buck. 30 and 100 watts out of the box ! Not bad , now ,like any new radio on the block , there tends to be bugs here and there and techs are learning whats best for these radios as time passes , I think some folks just assume to go in them and crank the $hit out of them and the next thing you know you have problems , I still tip my hat to Cobra on this radio , and also that they are willing to warrent a new radio in return , I hope the next time around is a charm for you Tony. IM no expert here and SMT and CPUs tend to make me take a deep breath and exhale slowly , but once again we basically have a amplifer within a radio ,I can't count how many times I've heard the trials and tribulations with situations like those :( If I recall , even back in the day , even radios like the Mighty Cobra 2000 had bugs and needed certain fixes in the beginning to make those radios work for the better , I honestly don't see anything different here concerning the Cobra 200GTL , time will tell. Good luck to you Tony

Well thanks for the kind words. I guess I am Just pi$$ed off because I to have heard pros and cons and to make things worse have heard 200gtl that sounded great and I got this one that had problems anyways I have a new one coming and your right for the price they cant be beat I mean look what the 2SC-2290 transstors cost alone for a true mathed pair well theres atleast $50.00 for the average joe after shipping. It held frequency great so it was stable. Heres the kicker I was told that this guy has honestly had mor s-9 come back for retuning and alot of them drifted some worse than others some for a half hour before they were stable so yes EVERY RADIO I MEAN EVERY RADIO HAS ITS PROS AND CONS. I can honestly say I like the radio how the rest of it worked and that warranty cant be beat. We shall see what happens

Its been very busy here over the past weeks. I haven't had time to browse as much as usual lately.

I'm sorry, too, to hear about the issues you've had. Cobra's waranty support center, Mountain View Electronics, has been very good so far about turn-around time with any warranty work, though, so I don't suspect you'll end up feeling totally screwed in the long run.

I'm still impressed with them too.......when they are siting on the shelf behind the glass case. Very impressive looking radio, but thats all they are is a good looking radio. The three that I have heard are very average on AM and weak on SSB.

Your not the first or last to complain about the Cobra 2000 the only thing that links the new one back to the old trusty 148, is the snake on the front.

Take the parts and turn it into a toaster :LOL: :LOL:

her is my last reply from this radio dilema

Tony, your radio has been completely repaired, checked out, tested, and certified, by our cobra warranty center... it is working sweet now! you now got your self one killer radio! replaced auto ic chip,, reset balest, removed all unwanted transmit rf bleed in receive circuit power is back up on top .. alignment of transmit and receive .. radio is now better than factory! she barks now!!!! we shipped it this evening should arrive to you in a day or two... i worked on it my self!! Bruce, DX City! since 1967! :D

Most people see the 2 2290's and think Wow I can crank this up to 160~200 watts. WRONG! The weak link is the mosfet driver which if you get it hot enough will develop a thermal intermittant. If you run the radio to Cobra specs, it will last. Best $174 deal I have made. The pots are crap, but you shouldn't be in there diddling around with them anyway. Just set it and forget it.

was thinking the same think after a while , OH BOY !! 2 X 2290S !! I'll be smoke'in now !! I suppose you can't blame them for lack of knowledge huh ? Well , I suppose folks ain't happy unless there pushing it to the limit and then some but hey ! it's there money and then they can blame it on the makers there after. Bugs are one thing ,pushing it to the limit is another , I suppose some just gots to know. But other peoples mistakes make it better for others to hopefully not make the same ones there after. This radio still gets my vote , if you want 250 watts out ? get yourself a amplifer to do it for you , if not , just let this radio run comfortabley on it's on 150 watts or so......The way I see it , at under 2 bills and everything else that comes with it , how could one go wrong here ?

I should recieve it tomorrow so i will let you all know. Yes they do have crappy pots / vrs Ive seen it first hand and no i dont think they should be run hard as i stated earlier look at the HF rigs there set at 1oo watts and there plenty so imagine how long the 200 gtl would last at 100 watts. minw qill have cooling as soon as it gets back here as I do with all the amplifiers anyways Afterall it n is the heat that takes a toll on this stuff.

WELL IM THINKING IT SHOULD BE HERE TODAY. I know a factory warranty center has gone through it so this will be the writing on the wall. All I can say is it better work Im thinking it will be fine. I complained about the audio IC and they said that it was indeed shot so thats a start.

I was at a cb shop near me and a guy came in asking about the 200. i know nothing about radios, but he told and showed me a picture of this MICROTHIN special Resistor they make for i think this radio, the tech at the cb shop said this radio is a BITCH to work on, you need special SOLDER, SPECIAL GUN, and A MICROSCOPE TO SEE THE DAMN THING!!!! this guy says he doesnt buy this radio anymore to sell because 9/10 of them he sold got RETURNED!!!!!!

Big red on this 2547 is sittin on the side
PEACE
and 73's

this radio works and sounds FLAWLESSLY now incredible difference super radio I am more than pleased radio is on frequncy so tuned correctly aswell good radio well see if it stays this way ;)

bigred222 said:
I was at a cb shop near me and a guy came in asking about the 200. i know nothing about radios, but he told and showed me a picture of this MICROTHIN special Resistor they make for i think this radio, the tech at the cb shop said this radio is a BITCH to work on, you need special SOLDER, SPECIAL GUN, and A MICROSCOPE TO SEE THE DAMN THING!!!! this guy says he doesnt buy this radio anymore to sell because 9/10 of them he sold got RETURNED!!!!!!

Big red on this 2547 is sittin on the side
PEACE
and 73's

RANT ALERT

Big Red this is not pointed at you but at the tech.

I have been watching all the posts here and elsewhere about this radio and I have to say that far and away the biggest problem with the Cobra 200 is DUMBASS TECHNICIANS.

Let's step back a moment. A few years ago Cobra decided they wanted to "cash" in on the 10 meter radio sales that Galaxy, Ranger, and others were enjoying. So they designed a full feature high power (100 watt pep) radio called the Cobra 200GTL (of course make it "modifiable" so that 98% of the sales would go to the CB crowd). Initially, it had a mosfet driver (RD16HHF1) and 2 mosfet finals (HF50-12). It uses SMD design because parts are cheaper, no leads mean repeatable performance, denser circuits, and better stability (and oh BTW, most techs don't have the right equipment to work on them so they will have to send them back to the factory for repair. CHA CHING, more money for us when the warranty runs out after a year).

They soon find out that the MOSFET finals aren't cutting it and so they re-engineer it and use 2SC-2290's instead. They have been proven to be rugged through years of use and abuse in amps. They should have spent a $1 on a more rugged driver, .50 on better pots/VR's, and .25 on more NPO caps in the PLL and Clarifier circuits, but that would be $1.75 less in their pocket. They discovered that, as it was, if it was kept to the 100 watt spec, it would hold together.

Now comes along John Q CB public and hears that Cobra, one of the most respected names in CB, is finally making a high power 10 meter radio with all the bells and whistles that the other exports are offering and killing them on price. Shop hard and you can find it for under $200. A 100 watt full featured COBRA radio for $200? Sweet Jesus, it must be the second coming.

So everyone rushes out to buy one and every (so called) tech that can, tries to cash in on it. They get one in (later model) and open the case up and HOLY MOLY! she's got 2290's (memories of that first 2-pill come flashing back through their mind). They diddle around and figure out where the all important ALC and AMC pots are (Hmmm, these are pretty cheesy...) and crank her up. AHHHHHHH... 160... 175... She's blowing smoke now. That'll be $25~$40 for the peak and tune, Thankyou. Slap the covers back on (Dang, those parts are small; I hope I never have to see the inside of this thing again...) and ship her out.

2~6 weeks later, 90% of all of the tech's Cobra 200 customers are calling him up and cussing him and the radio because the high power doesn't work any more or it works for a couple of keys and then drops down. Well, with that many people having the same problem, it MUST be a design flaw. (NO, IT WAS THE DUMBASS TECH THAT RUINED THE RADIO BEFORE THE CUSTOMER EVER GOT IT). And then it gets started, the bad reputation bandwagon, which once started, everyone that's ever had even the slightest little problem, jumps on.

That's too bad, because for a first crack out of the box it wasn't too shabby. Is it perfect? Certainly not. It has some rough edges and hopefully between TSB's and circuit changes, Cobra will get them worked out. Anybody remember RCI's first shot, the 2900? What a joy that was...

Here's an example. I have a couple of Kenwood 480HX's. Kenwood sells them as a 200 watt pep radio. The radio has 4 "finals" (to use CB lingo), each one has a max power dissipation rating of 220 watts apiece. That's a possible 880 watts pep input of power dissipation. So I go into the service menu and crank up the output to 400 watts and then 2 days later I blow out my TX/RX relay.

Now, is it fair for me to call up Kenwood and bitch and complain about what a piece of S*** the 480HX is? NO, that's Stupid. The 480HX is designed for a continous 200 watt carrier for 30 minutes with out damage, not for 400 watt output, even though the "finals" are capable of it.

I don't understand people trying to get wine out of water. AFAIK, only one person has ever done that. If you want a 100 watt radio, buy it. If you want more out, buy something else.

BTW, how many complaints have you seen from owners that run a properly aligned 200GTL at the recommended power levels? Not many. Some to be sure, but the vast majority are from owners that paid that little extra to make sure it was "blowing smoke".

Bottom line, it's the best bang for your buck under $200, and if you run it at Cobra's power spec (100 watts), it will last a long time. We can all hope that Cobra will listen to customer feedback and fix the big issue with the driver and the other smaller issues as well.

OK, Im climbing off my soap box, putting on my Asbestos underwear, and going to bed. You guys have at it.

Dr DX

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.