• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Little Shack in Progress

Just a quick update. Working on getting the Context 500 CB amp set up and running. I solved the mic squeal problem but now I am working on the SWR between the radio and the amp. It looks like I will need to modify the amp input as the tuning cap has no more adjustment.

Stop by and check it out:
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/contex-500-tube-amp.226894/

IMG_20180306_200212465.jpg

Last edited:
I put the shack together with a pile of Mini 8 jumpers that were 3 feet long. With barrel connectors it was great in a pinch. But my SWR was doing funny stuff like it would be 1.2 on dead key and shoot up to 2 with modulation. Probably a poor connection but which one? The more connections you have, the better the chance of having a bad connection. I don't think the Mini 8 is rated for much power anyway. This stuff had to go.

IMG_20180624_162708676.jpg

Last edited:
I got some 10ft jumpers from jefatech.com

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jefa-tech-coax-cable-assemblies

I was going to use 240 flex but the 400 flex was a few dollars more so I said what the heck. I figure it would go good with the regular 400 going to the antenna. So I got two for each amp, and then two with a so-239 on one end. One of them to wind a choke at the antenna and the other as a leader into the shack. Now my SWR stays lower and doesn't jump as much on modulation. Now it is 1.2 on dead key and 1.4 modulating.

IMG_20180624_162555780.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar
I marked all the jumpers on each end before I ran them. Nothing worse than having to trace everything out every time you do something. This Brady BMP 21 wire marker makes labels designed to wrap around the wire. I bought it to use at work on a project so I already had it. Masking tape and a Sharpie Marker will work too.

IMG_20180624_162416639.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
This side room with the front door is where my shack is. It is only a 10' by 10' room and it has a front door. I am not sure if it was a business office that someone had at one time or something.
Wherever this house is, it seems to be a quiet place. The antenna looks great anyway and there is also the opportunity to make the garden pretty. (y)

Wherever this house is, it seems to be a quiet place. The antenna looks great anyway and there is also the opportunity to make the garden pretty. (y)
I am slowly catching up on the yard work, for the past 4 years I have been living in Montreal part time. Now that the project is done, I have several truck loads of unsplit firewood that has been sitting for over 4 years. Needless to say, it is all rotten and we are slowly burning it in a small pile in the back yard. Hopefully by this fall it will be all cleaned up and in the spring we will be able to plow it and grow some vegetables again. Thanks for the kind words and thanks for looking.
Chris

I recently picked up a Robyn 240-D from eBay. It came with a D104 and seems to work ok. I might send it out to be aligned but first I really need to make a shelf. I really don't want to stack the units on top of each other. Also in this photo is the President Madison with upper channels and the Bearcat BC785D Trunk Tracker III.

Here is the thread on the Robyn:
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/robyn-t-240d-executive.233524/

IMG_20180906_135142810.jpg

Last edited:
Everything looks great. It's certainly coming along very nicely. Finally got the sonar, and 2 other smaller items packed, and sent out. I sent it out (yesterday,) 2 day ground. He should get them on Monday or Tuesday. I'd like to get the sonar back before Thanksgiving. I will wait to get it back before sending him the Madison, and a few more smalls. It's a bitch getting the washing packed so I was hoping that we'd be able to get together on a day before Thanksgiving (or shortly after) to get the telescopic mast, and new IMAX 2000 up in the air. I found a few other goodies. I will give you a choice of a Turner +3 or exspander 500. They're both wiered for the Washington, and will work on your Madison also. I don't think I need to suggest that you take the plus 3 over the expander 500. Some people actually like the expander 500. Maybe about 2 (people. Lol) There's a few other smalls I'm going to give you also. I will never use them, and having to pack then ship them after selling them is just to much of a hassle. Believe me 808 the mast and antenna install will take no longer than as a 11/2 hours. I bought the lmr 400 ultra flex jumpers. I'm not happy mixing the 400 that goes from the shack to antenna with the lmr 240 jumpers I'm currently using. I don't think it makes a difference, but in my mind. And for me a clear head is priceless.. I wanna make sure when you leave here everything is the best I could've put together. I don't think you have my phone number but will pm it to you shortly. I really appreciate your help 808. I'm looking forward to finally having the 2000 as high up in the air as it could possibly be for my situation. I hope to hear from the tech by Friday (11/4.) Since the mast and antenna isn't going on the roof, and is staying in the backyard on the ground where it currently is should make it possible to get it up there ever if it's a bit on the cold side. If needed I think my next door neighbor owns a propane heater/blower. The type used in auto garages during the winter time. I don't think will even need that. I'm sure the temps won't be any lower than 50 degrees, but if the heaters needed it is available to me. When I mentioned above that it would take about an hour and a half I actually overrated the time that it hould take. When I initially put the IMAX up on two five foot masts it.took about 45 minutes. I hope that you'll be able to get this together for me. Otherwise I will have to stay off the air until spring time. I am still using the current set up, but I am not happy with it at all. I truly think the antenna is damaged. Even though I've only been using it the setup about once a month every time I turn it on and initially key the microphone I'm tense, and the worried that something's going to go wrong. Finally getting the imax 200 approximately 30 ft off the ground as opposed to its current eight feet is an exciting prospect. Please don't think that I am holding those items I promised you hostage. Hostage until you come over and put the antenna up. Believe me 808 that is not the case. It's just that I haven't even boxed up the Madison along with two or three Smalls that are going in the same box not to mention the Phantom which also needs to be boxed up. On top of that it will be nice to finally meet. If the job goes quickly a late lunch is on me. There's a great Italian restaurant that me and the XYL eat at at least twice a month, and I believe it's on the same route that brings you home. I'm all in 808. I really hope that you could get this done for me. Have a great Halloween my friend, and we will talk soon my friend, and figure out if this is doable. I'm totally confident. 73. PS. I didn't fire up the Madison for approximately a month and a half. About five or six days ago I got the urge to get on the air, and the two days that I spent an hour or so on each of those days skip was rolling in. I enjoyed myself immensely, and thought about how terrific it's going to finally be to have an antenna close to its proper wavelength. Since getting back on the air three years ago after my 25-plus year sabbatical my antenna hasn't been no more than 10 ft off the ground. I am really stoked about having an antenna 30 ft in the air. That might not sound like height to you, and most other operators, but for me 30 ft is like having it 100 feet up in the air for most other operators. Thanks again 808. I appreciate you offering to get this done for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Just got an amp for the CB.
View attachment 22810

Fits real nice on the amp rack. I might move it up to the desk so I can see it. Still need to get the antenna up.

View attachment 22811

I got that same little power thingie on my old school Apple IIe that i've refurb'd here in the shop. You should just do what I did, I got tired of having my stuff in the house too and being confined to a "spot". I bought a 14x20 building with lofts, house door and full size windows. It's now my shop and part time man cave. Only thing I'd do different if I had to do it all over, I'd get a bigger building for sure and I'd put it much farther from the house. For reasons and stuff, you know... so I don't disturb the people in the house and stuff like that... yeah...

I got that same little power thingie on my old school Apple IIe that i've refurb'd here in the shop. You should just do what I did, I got tired of having my stuff in the house too and being confined to a "spot". I bought a 14x20 building with lofts, house door and full size windows. It's now my shop and part time man cave. Only thing I'd do different if I had to do it all over, I'd get a bigger building for sure and I'd put it much farther from the house. For reasons and stuff, you know... so I don't disturb the people in the house and stuff like that... yeah...
Or one could do what I did. Instead of buying a building I purchased a rolling utility 6 tear shelf setup.
I could roll it anywhere in the house. And even outside. This portable shack has been everywhere from the garage to backyard depending on the weather. And I'd venture to say @ $89 it was a lot cheaper than a building. Lol! 73
5299-1522035596-fb6983ce21ee6701c5d2adb433575590.jpg
PS. With all 6 selves attached it would've been impossible to fit any equipment anywhere, but the top shelf. So I left 3 shelves off, and spaced them so that any piece of equipment I own would fit on any one of the shelves. 1/8 inch Balsa type wood, and non-slip rubber matting purchased at Home Depot completed my portable Shack, The rolling shelf was purchased on eBay for $89. It turned out to be an excellent idea, and purchase.

Yea, better add a couple of zeros to that price for my building, you got me there. I was just sayin’, just sayin’.

I work on other people’s stuff though and don’t want them in my house. That’s way too much traffic in your house. From desktops to laptops, radios, amps, instrument clusters, all kinds of crap, just too much and too many people.

Plus I like my cave. Sofa sleeper for when I’m tired, fridge, sink, TV, internet, it’s all I need except a shower and toilet.

I sound like a hermit. Damn.

Yea, better add a couple of zeros to that price for my building, you got me there. I was just sayin’, just sayin’.

I work on other people’s stuff though and don’t want them in my house. That’s way too much traffic in your house. From desktops to laptops, radios, amps, instrument clusters, all kinds of crap, just too much and too many people.

Plus I like my cave. Sofa sleeper for when I’m tired, fridge, sink, TV, internet, it’s all I need except a shower and toilet.

I sound like a hermit. Damn.
It was in jest of course. I'd take the building over a portable rolling radio desk any day. Do you have a YouTube channel?
Either way please PM me your work number, and or email address.
I've always got room in my phone book for another CB/ham/aamplifier (especially tube driven gear) technicians.
Sometimes tech's Specialize, in specific equipment repair, and or Restorations. And on different types of equipment. Some don't mind working on Tube equipment While others even though can navigate (and if they are true technicians shouldn't have a problem working on any radio related equipment) through a repair or restoration on transistorized, or tube equipment, some would prefer one over the other, but work is work, and work is money. So I will assume you work on both types. From past experience I know it's more likely that you don't have a website, but in the event you do please add it in your contact information on my PM.
Most tech's initially get out there from word-of-mouth. Thanks. 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated