• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new Big Mistake Mobile Antenna- TBD.

You will need to get a different mount for the predator antenna as it has a 3/8" bolt type screw that screws into the mount. Where as the sirio is a pl259 connection. When buying an antenna, remember height is might. At nearly 7ft the performer 5000 is a pretty tall antenna. To get the same type performance should require an antenna of equal or taller proportions. The predator 10k is a good antenna and I'm sure the bad to the bone one is too. Just some Info to help hopefully. I have worked most of the world with my mobile setup, sirio 5000 per. Mag mount, optima mk3 and a magnaforce 350hd, (same as the tnt350hd). Normally don't run the amp if not needed. Have made contact to AU while driving down I-4 at 70mph. Get the Breedlove puck mount and the sirio performer. Probably will have to trim about 1/2" off the antenna to get it to tune correctly, they normally are a bit long. Got my swr reading to 1.1 to 1.2 across the cb band. I'm sure if I put the analyzer on it I could get it near perfect. Anyway good luck and have fun.

Reactions: hotrod
So the deed is done, ordered the Sirio Performer 5000PL with mount today. it would seem to be about 10-14 days to arrival.

The Breedlove mount is desirable.. for another time. Cannot buy everything as best off the beginning line, gotta leave room for mistakes and corrections down the road lol.

The ssb radio of choice, a Uniden 980, is quite expensive right now at about $250.00 here in Edmonton- gonna think about how much I want ssb first, lol. Otherwise I am thinking of a Uniden 787 for straight am with the Galaxy 939 and cobra 29 in second and third.

Man for that kind of money you could order an optima mk3 directly from Yeticom. 300 will get you one good radio. The optima will do 50 watts vs the uniden at 15 watts SSB. Not to say the 980 is bad, I have one and was on freq out of the box. Just not much for power. SSB is much easier than Am to work dx with not a lot of power. But the 980 is gonna be a bit of a challenge to get your name called often. For 50 more dollars you can have a radio that will hands down beat the uniden 980 all around. JMHO.

I have decided I would like to end up with a Predator Bad to the Bone antenna down the road,

That antenna is actually a WORSE design than the regular Predator antenna. Why? Because the coils is elongated with more turns, which results in a less efficient antenna. Of course, they can describe all of the reasons why it is better to sell more antennas (more of anything is better, right? LOL) to the unsuspecting buyer, but it is not.

You could go to five other forum sites where they will all swear by it and tell you that we don't know what we're talking about, but this is actually a matter of science, not opinion.

I believe the name yeti in yeticom may refer to a particular snow man called a yeti up here in Canada I checked out the radio and it's not for me but thanks for the suggestion.

But I like the name.. Of bad to the bone. It will be some time before I can justify spending more to better the Sirio 5000 anyway. Sometimes you got to just like the attitude and cockiness of a manufacturer when they build something good, really good. Overbuilt is really good, do yo agree? :)

Anyone know a good thread on coax?

Just buy decent quality RG58. There's no advantage for the lengths being used to go with anything else unless you're needlessly running silly power and then its a case of having to because of the power limitation of RG58.

If anyone says you need to use X, Y or Z length of coax, ignore them. The correct length is the shortest needed to get from the radio to the antenna.

Just buy decent quality RG58. There's no advantage for the lengths being used to go with anything else unless you're needlessly running silly power and then its a case of having to because of the power limitation of RG58.

If anyone says you need to use X, Y or Z length of coax, ignore them. The correct length is the shortest needed to get from the radio to the antenna.
I would like to add to the above advice.
Some of the cheaper coax with installed PL-259's have substandard connectors. I would try and steer away from no-name stuff.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
I will say this, I own a 980 and it is a weak radio at best when it comes to power. Not saying you need a bunch of watts, but don't expect much over 5 watts on am and about 15 on SSB. If you are planning on doing an serious dxing either get a better radio or an amp. JMHO. And I would not pay 250 for one. They cost less than half that in the states. Again maybe I'm way off base but 250 for that radio is insane and that is the truth!!! If you don't like the optima mk3 look at the president Lincoln 2 or uniden grant 2. The 980 is a good little radio and mine was dead on freq out of the box. But even with it maxed out on wattage it does maybe 15-18 watts on SSB and 5-6 watts pep on am. You will not get many call backs when dxing unless you have really good conditions especially on 36-40 SSB. On am you will be able to talk a few miles and that's about it. Save your money and do some research before spending 250 on a uniden 980 is what I am trying to say!!!!

Reactions: binrat
I will say this, I own a 980 and it is a weak radio at best when it comes to power. Not saying you need a bunch of watts, but don't expect much over 5 watts on am and about 15 on SSB. If you are planning on doing an serious dxing either get a better radio or an amp. JMHO. And I would not pay 250 for one. They cost less than half that in the states. Again maybe I'm way off base but 250 for that radio is insane and that is the truth!!! If you don't like the optima mk3 look at the president Lincoln 2 or uniden grant 2. The 980 is a good little radio and mine was dead on freq out of the box. But even with it maxed out on wattage it does maybe 15-18 watts on SSB and 5-6 watts pep on am. You will not get many call backs when dxing unless you have really good conditions especially on 36-40 SSB. On am you will be able to talk a few miles and that's about it. Save your money and do some research before spending 250 on a uniden 980 is what I am trying to say!!!!
The problem with the Canadian prices right now is the exchange rates. I can buy stuff cheaper from other than N.A. compared to the US.

To the OP. I would look at the Yeticom Optima MkIII from Yeticom. or the price, best bang for the buck if you ask me. as for antenna, Sirio. That to me would be a good place to start and get your feet wet.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I got you on the coax, it'll be fine to use for my setup.

I did have a look at the Yeticom reviews and it looks great. I have made up my mind to follow the law here and it is 4 watts and that is it. I am going to make every effort to have the best setup possible within the law. That is why I am spending upwards of $140.00 cdn for the antenna.. and putting holes in my car to install it.

So my decision includes finding the best setup within the law which eliminates the Yeti gear. If I cannot hear or transmit to someone, that is the limit of my best equipment and I accept that.

I remember from my early days that I do not need a power mic- every mic I use seems to become a power mic. I may pop for a good noise-cancelling mic, however no one ever had trouble hearing me. When I was with CN out of Edmonton as a train engineer for 33 years, with probably tens of thousands of hours spent on radio no one had trouble hearing me on my locomotive's FM.

I am looking forward to a new radio like the new Uniden's 787 or 980, or Galaxy's 939 models because they are reported to be especially sensitive to distant or weak signals according to the reports and reviews of real users. Does anyone have any practical experience with Galaxy's new 939?

By the way the Breedlove mounts are great and I would pop for one today except Breedlove surcharges an additional $40.00 US for shipping to Canada not including border costs and exchange rate. So for now it's gonna be Canadian mounts.

Reactions: binrat
Stay away from Galaxy radios if you live in cold area. They have issues with drifting bad until they warm up. They don't like cold weather.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
Stay away from Galaxy radios if you live in cold area. They have issues with drifting bad until they warm up. They don't like cold weather.
yes and no. I had 1 in my pick up for over 2 years. Only once I found that the Canadian cold got the better part. It was around -45 C for this and it was in northern Ontario. But then again the cold froze my truck battery as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.