• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new Big Mistake Mobile Antenna- TBD.

Even without bonding as much as sideways has for sure, and using a mag mount I had to trim about an inch off my whip as well. They do come a bit long. But when you tune it, cut 1/4" or less at a time. Keeps from making too short. You will enjoy the antenna. Have fun.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
Wow! Ok that was a lot of work. I intend to start with the hood and drivetrain and exhaust. The body and frame is one piece so that's done. The articles mentioned horizontal surfaces as significant so the hatch was not important.

The sun has shit on HF this week however its settling down and whilst the solar flux index and A and K indexes aren't the best for 10-12m they are improving.

One thing worries me though. Looking at the antenna mount it looks like the braid of the coax is cut off and not connected to anything. There also appears to be no weatherproofing where the braid ends. Coax wicks up water like you would not believe. Can you take a photo of the mount at the bottom from the side and include the coax where the black insulation ends?

The sun has shit on HF this week however its settling down and whilst the solar flux index and A and K indexes aren't the best for 10-12m they are improving.

One thing worries me though. Looking at the antenna mount it looks like the braid of the coax is cut off and not connected to anything. There also appears to be no weatherproofing where the braid ends. Coax wicks up water like you would not believe. Can you take a photo of the mount at the bottom from the side and include the coax where the black insulation ends?

MoGVZ, I certainly will take a pic of the braid. It is connected to the ground on the mount.. but is completely open to the weather. What would you do with it?

Definitely need to get the coax shield (braid) to the mount. And weather proof it for sure. For what it's worth the sirio pl145 mag mount probably wouldn't be a bad investment. It would perfom better than the current setup location. They come with a rubber bottom as to not scratch your roof. For the money I would try it. You might be happy with it. And you can change out coax on the mag mount as well. Rather easily. Just my thoughts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?