• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My new Big Mistake Mobile Antenna- TBD.

the Uniden 980 is a nice little radio no drift great receive a little weak wattage wise but a great little amp that will give you a little over 100 watts with that radio is a KLV203 it can be had for around $80 and matches up very well with that radio. clean audio very compact and only need's 2 #10 wires to the battery just another option. but one thing is for sure you won't go wrong with either the 10k antenna or the Sirio I use them both on different vehicles and wont trade them for anything.

Reactions: 222DBFL and hotrod
This is true radioreddz. The uniden 980 paired with the klv203 is a good little combo. I believe the poster of the thread wants to stay legal limit with his setup, this is why he chose the uniden 980. It is the cost of the radio that he is going to pay that is a killer. $250 for a uniden 980. To the poster, you can turn power down on the optima mk3 and many other radios as well to meet the legal 12watt limit. With my rf power I can turn my optima mk3 down to nearly nothing as far as watts are concerned. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
Things You Want Always Cost More in Canada. Actually I don't mind paying a bit more to an installer for the radio in order to to support local business. That way I get the service I want too. It is turning out to be twice the cost of my original budget but I don't regret buying a better antenna. Starter radio needs are under review again because of the initial costs.

If you can turn a Yeticom down to the legal limit that would be interesting. I will check them out as to prices up here in the frozen north.

Yes you can turn the power down for sure on the optima mk3. I will double check now to make sure! Okay just checked. I can turn power on SSB down to literally 1 watt. On am you will have to internally adjust the am power output as all the rf power does is turn the dead key down. But yes the power can be turned down to meet legal wattage limit.

Thanks fellas for the info on the Yeticom- simply not available here in Alberta, and no Canadian site offers them for sale that I could find.

Ok I did find a new Uniden PC78Elite radio on sale in Ontario- I bought it. There is a limit to my budget and it fit. should do for a good radio for the meantime until I can find a good used ssb nearby.

Thanks fellas for the info on the Yeticom- simply not available here in Alberta, and no Canadian site offers them for sale that I could find.

Ok I did find a new Uniden PC78Elite radio on sale in Ontario- I bought it. There is a limit to my budget and it fit. should do for a good radio for the meantime until I can find a good used ssb nearby.
When I got my Optima, it was right from yeticom. Price included shipping to my door. Well worth the money in my books. I left it open and the manufacturers seals intact. Had the most fulfilling contact on 10-12 metres including CB SSB with it.

Binrat I appreciate that report of your experience with your Optima 3. I will be watching for a good pre-owned one in the future- just needed to get a good am (the cp78) to get me by until I can find a good ssb. How do I send a private note here?

Private "Notes" are conversations here. Click on the person handle and a small window type of thing will pop up. From there click on "start a conversation" It will then go to a page with an email look. type in title and the message you want to send.
Also, on the upper right beside your handle there is an envelop, and a flag. If you have mail it will show it. If you have not read it yet, you have mail.

Those radios are good am radios for sure. Don't let anyone cut the limiter and tweak it!! The stock mic on the pc68 I had was and still is an awesome mic. Kept the mic and sold radio lol. But they do sound good on am. If you can find one a pc122xl or old uniden grant are great SSB radios. The old cobra side mic 148's are pretty good too. The old grants just had the nicest receive! Good luck with your setup. You ended up with the sirio antenna right? You will be happy. I have on my work van right now. And it's roof is at about 9ft. So it's pretty tall. My turbo took a heck of a beating and it still works well, I just like the handle on the performer better. I have played with a few of these things. Had the turbo, performer and the 4000 with the taller whip. They all did me and still do well for me. Have talked across the world to Australia while driving 70 on the highway. But conditions were right too! I can talk out to about 50-60 miles lically with the performer and optima. If I go down to the water it's a different story!! I can talk about across the state with no issues. Over 100 miles. All of this is done on SSB. Locally I have been able to hold a conversation about 35-40 miles while driving. Dx is all about conditions. Sitting still I get out to 50-60 miles. Mostly at night though too. Height is might and believe me if I thought I could stick a taller antenna up there it would have already been done lol. I still have my old brass quick disconnect mount. Old Breedlove mount. Can't drill the work van so this is a mag mount setup. A good hard mount I wih I could install but I can't. Anyway these are my experiences all with the sirio antenna. They do work good. Base coil or not.

At least you've got the priorities in the right order in regards to spending. You can have the best rig in the world but coupled up to a crap antenna its just going to be disappointing.

I see far too many people spending £1000s going through dozens of rigs trying to find the ultimate one that'll allow them to hear what others are when the actual problem is the bit of metal they're using for an antenna. For some reason I can't fathom people will scrimp like hell on their antenna systems.

Its like car stereos. They'll spend $1000 on a head unit and run it through factory speakers then wonder why it still sounds crap.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.