• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old truck

What's baffling to me is I can put my stock rims that came with the truck, and the tires are horrible, chopped up from driving with the front end worn-out ,almost bald ,put them back on and I can drive it down any rough road I choose, and it breezes through with out a hitch.
I don't know?? I've become very good friends with Big Red of Big Reds tire shopp, as we discussed my situation he said if I had aftermarket rims he would lean towards the rims being bad. But since these are Ford factory rims, same bolt pattern and all you'd think it's the tires especially since I used to run King Ranch 20's and had no issues. I wish I knew someone that had a set of factory Ford 20's that would let me use them on the same bad spot on the highway just to see what happens.

Have you considered even tho those are stock rims, they might be bad? Warped/bent something along those lines? Since it seems to happen at certain speeds, I'm wondering if it isn't a very slight deformity - Maybe dismount the tires from the rims and check the rim with a dial indicator? Use the part of the rim where the bead seats instead of the face or some other area.

Nice truck. I wish mine had cab marker lights or chicken lights like some say around here. That's another upgrade on my list. I had the money for new headlights, taillights, tow mirrors and third break light. But since I just about spent all my truck money I'll have to start over putting money back. I like the 97 Ford body style too, like you said got to keep the old ones around. Seen a 97 extended cab some kid was driving a while back. Either him or his dad put a lot of time and money into, it was slick!

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
Have you considered even tho those are stock rims, they might be bad? Warped/bent something along those lines? Since it seems to happen at certain speeds, I'm wondering if it isn't a very slight deformity - Maybe dismount the tires from the rims and check the rim with a dial indicator? Use the part of the rim where the bead seats instead of the face or some other area.
Yeah, I figure if new rubber doesn't help then I'll just scrap them because I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them. I'll hate to do it but I may just have to eat the $600 I paid for them .

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
Yeah, I figure if new rubber doesn't help then I'll just scrap them because I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them. I'll hate to do it but I may just have to eat the $600 I paid for them .
Before you buy new rubber, I'd check the rims. Cost of dismounting isn't much. Some shops can check the rims on their balance machines, others can't. I much prefer mounting the rim on the vehicle and mounting a dial indicator then turning the rim slowly and checking it.

My dually rims have to be mounted a specific way, as they have dimples that must fall in the right place. they wobble otherwise.

Nice truck. I wish mine had cab marker lights or chicken lights like some say around here. That's another upgrade on my list. I had the money for new headlights, taillights, tow mirrors and third break light. But since I just about spent all my truck money I'll have to start over putting money back. I like the 97 Ford body style too, like you said got to keep the old ones around. Seen a 97 extended cab some kid was driving a while back. Either him or his dad put a lot of time and money into, it was slick!

My old '04 that I sold didn't come with factory cab lights (technically they're not chicken lights - those are all added lights, like under the cab, the bumper, etc etc) but I added them using factory ford parts and wire harnesses. Me and a buddy soldered two harnesses together as I mounted 7 Lights instead of the factory five. My Inner semi driver was coming out ... it was one of those small details that hardly anybody noticed.

The point I'm trying to make is you can easily add them, however I will caution away from using cheap amazon lights or the LED lights that you can't change the LED's in. I can dig up the part numbers for the harness and lights and see if they're still available. I buy a lot from Tascaparts.com - great people and usually about the cheapest prices even with shipping.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
Before you buy new rubber, I'd check the rims. Cost of dismounting isn't much. Some shops can check the rims on their balance machines, others can't. I much prefer mounting the rim on the vehicle and mounting a dial indicator then turning the rim slowly and checking it.

My dually rims have to be mounted a specific way, as they have dimples that must fall in the right place. they wobble otherwise.
Well it's to late on the rubber they're already bought and paid for. But it did cross my mind to take the rims to Jim Grizzel tire. I always say my buddy Keith his my oldest friend but I'd almost forgotten about Laura Grizzel I met her the very same day I met Keith in first grade, so I guess their both my oldest friends. Grizzel tire was started by her dad and now Laura and her brother run the business. They should be able to check the rims they have a huge business so I figure they have the equipment.
Funny story ( to me anyway) I had to take a guy I used to work with to Grizzel tire to pick up his jeep, I never told him I grew up in the same neighborhood as Laura and her brother. We get there, walk in and I see Laura and her brother in the office, the walls are all glass so you can see everything going on. I could tell they were arguing just like a brother and sister would. And my friend Tom says after a few minutes of waiting, I wish they would hurry I've got some other business to take care of. I looked at him and said I'll show you how to take care of this. I walked over to the office door, open it up and loudly said hey! Stop arguing and get your butt out here and take care of this man, he needs his jeep now. Laura pointed at me and loudly told me, get your butt outta here, and I said o yeah, make me! Then she run over to me and hugged my neck. The look on Tom's face was priceless he didn't know what to think. When he was finally able to respond he asked, do you know him? And Laura laughed and said land's yes we grew up together, me and Laura had a pretty good laugh, not to sure Tom thought it was funny. I've been meaning to stop by and visit with her anyway, might as well bring her some business too.

Well it's to late on the rubber they're already bought and paid for. But it did cross my mind to take the rims to Jim Grizzel tire. I always say my buddy Keith his my oldest friend but I'd almost forgotten about Laura Grizzel I met her the very same day I met Keith in first grade, so I guess their both my oldest friends. Grizzel tire was started by her dad and now Laura and her brother run the business. They should be able to check the rims they have a huge business so I figure they have the equipment.
Funny story ( to me anyway) I had to take a guy I used to work with to Grizzel tire to pick up his jeep, I never told him I grew up in the same neighborhood as Laura and her brother. We get there, walk in and I see Laura and her brother in the office, the walls are all glass so you can see everything going on. I could tell they were arguing just like a brother and sister would. And my friend Tom says after a few minutes of waiting, I wish they would hurry I've got some other business to take care of. I looked at him and said I'll show you how to take care of this. I walked over to the office door, open it up and loudly said hey! Stop arguing and get your butt out here and take care of this man, he needs his jeep now. Laura pointed at me and loudly told me, get your butt outta here, and I said o yeah, make me! Then she run over to me and hugged my neck. The look on Tom's face was priceless he didn't know what to think. When he was finally able to respond he asked, do you know him? And Laura laughed and said land's yes we grew up together, me and Laura had a pretty good laugh, not to sure Tom thought it was funny. I've been meaning to stop by and visit with her anyway, might as well bring her some business too.

That's a great story and I bet it would've been wonderfully funny to watch!

A sorta similar thing happened last week with a friend I haven't seen in a number of years. She was walking with her co-worker who I'd never met. The look on the co-workers face when she gave me the biggest hug ... priceless! The poor Co Worker had no clue who I was, she just went Uh I guess you two know each other ... LOL It was really nice to catch up and hear about how her family and grand kids were all doing.

I certainly hope you get your death wobble sorted out soon!!

Well new tires seem to have done the trick for the death wobble. Went to purchase back brake calipers, brake pads and brake fluid yesterday. Talk about sticker shock, $305 just for the calipers!! I walked in with $400 thinking that would cover everything I needed and walked out with only the calipers. Prices are getting out of control. Going back today for more punishment to get the pads and brake fluid o_O

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well new tires seem to have done the trick for the death wobble. Went to purchase back brake calipers, brake pads and brake fluid yesterday. Talk about sticker shock, $305 just for the calipers!! I walked in with $400 thinking that would cover everything I needed and walked out with only the calipers. Prices are getting out of control. Going back today for more punishment to get the pads and brake fluid o_O
Yeah you should try it for my Semi trucks ... Last May Caterpillar had a 110% price hike ... I buy things in bulk when I can, like some O Rings. When I bought the bag of 100 I paid .14 cents each. They're now almost 5 dollars each ... It's Friggin INSANE!

Glad the death wobble is gone!!

I keep having little set backs with my truck. I noticed a strange vibration a few weeks ago and couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. Then the other day when driving to the parts store I could hear that funny sound a bad U joint makes. So after I put the back break calipers on I started looking at my drive shaft and found a problem. The vibration would start at 30 mph and stop about 40 mph, the U joint closest to the carrier bearing had an 8mm bolt backed off and allowing the U joint to wobble and I believe that caused the rubber bushing on the carrier bearing to prematurely wear. I just had everything thing replaced by a driveline shop about a year and a half ago. Anyway in my attempt to tighten the bolt I snapped it in half. So, since I don't want to fight with the U joints I'm going to take the drive shaft out and have a shop replace everything but I'm gonna double check everything before reinstalling the drive shaft this time.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Kinda confused? After I put the drive line back in the truck I no longer have the vibration at 40 mph. But with the truck sitting in the shop for about a week I get in it and virtually have no brakes until the pedal almost touches the floorboard. I'm gonna bleed the breaks when I get home to see if that helps, if not then I don't know whats going on. I'm not finding any break fluid anywhere?

Remember that when you have the wobble, the calipers were pressed back into their pistons due to the freeplay in the hub. The studs to the wheel need to be tightened too. It may take several attempts to torque them down an seat them to the hub.

If the truck sits and this occurs more often - then you'll need brake work, not necessarily at the calipers or the Drums, but at the Master cylinder. The lines from it to a proportioning valve (I don't have you're truck in front of me) that equalizes the brake pressures so the vehicle don't lock up a set of brakes when you panic stop.

The valve is (was) working against that wobble and may have affected the rear drum wheel cylinders due to the runout caused by it.

A pulsation occurs when the brakes fluid drips onto the lining and the shoes roll onto and thru it- generating a slip you feel as a pumping action - that means the lining is contaminated with the brake fluid.

To isolate this, drive the vehicle and as you brake to a stop, feel the way the truck pulls, tugs or drifts as it stops. That provides the biggest clue as to wher, and what side is affects of a system.

Vibration thru the steering wheel tells you the fronts are bad, but a pulsation thru the brake pedal only, tells you to look to the rear drums or calipers to as they are not hitting against the steering arm and control/tie rods.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightThumper
Remember that when you have the wobble, the calipers were pressed back into their pistons due to the freeplay in the hub. The studs to the wheel need to be tightened too. It may take several attempts to torque them down an seat them to the hub.

If the truck sits and this occurs more often - then you'll need brake work, not necessarily at the calipers or the Drums, but at the Master cylinder. The lines from it to a proportioning valve (I don't have you're truck in front of me) that equalizes the brake pressures so the vehicle don't lock up a set of brakes when you panic stop.

The valve is (was) working against that wobble and may have affected the rear drum wheel cylinders due to the runout caused by it.

A pulsation occurs when the brakes fluid drips onto the lining and the shoes roll onto and thru it- generating a slip you feel as a pumping action - that means the lining is contaminated with the brake fluid.

To isolate this, drive the vehicle and as you brake to a stop, feel the way the truck pulls, tugs or drifts as it stops. That provides the biggest clue as to wher, and what side is affects of a system.

Vibration thru the steering wheel tells you the fronts are bad, but a pulsation thru the brake pedal only, tells you to look to the rear drums or calipers to as they are not hitting against the steering arm and control/tie rods.
The truck didn't seem to pull either direction and I didn't notice any pulsation in the break pedal. But when I would pump the brakes and try to build pressure it wouldn't build any no matter how long I pumped the brakes. I'll have to check again just to be sure when I get home from work. Someone said something about the hydroboost going bad, but that's really getting over my head at that point. I had been driving it after the new tires were put on and everything seemed normal other than the bad U-joint. I'll check it out again and get back with you when I'm home.

2007 Ram, 144K miles. I've had one major valve/head problem that apparently is common to this engine. If I can keep it going for five more years I can tell everyone I have a classic.
I have 154,000 miles on my 2007 RAM 1500 Quad Cab with the HEMI. I just replaced had the entire rearend rebuilt & it cost me $3500 but other than a water pump & some AC work it's the only major issue since I purchased it New in 2007. The motor & transmission are both strong so I'm planning to keep her for a very long time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.