• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old truck

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
She's a 2006 F250 super duty Lariat, 228000 miles, doesn't use oil, no major mechanical issues, and She's payed for. My wife has been wanting me to sell this truck and get a newer one, but every time I look at a newer truck, the price is outrageous! They want more for a used truck than what this one cost when it was new! So I've decided to just give the old truck some TLC, starting with cab mount bushings. Figured while I was at it I'd take out all the seats, take the carpet out and give it a good power washing.

Attachments

• 20220717_184824.jpg
    20220717_184824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131

Not worth selling? Man you guys bought the wrong vehicles. My 2012 Tundra was rear-ended while parked at Christmas time and spent four months in the repair shop, mostly due to supply chain issues. The insurance company had no problem forking out the $24,000 to repair it plus four months of rental car use instead of writing it off due to high resale value right now. Not only are new vehicle prices high but used vehicles, especially Tundras, are nowhere to be found and as such command a high price.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
Not worth selling? Man you guys bought the wrong vehicles. My 2012 Tundra was rear-ended while parked at Christmas time and spent four months in the repair shop, mostly due to supply chain issues. The insurance company had no problem forking out the $24,000 to repair it plus four months of rental car use instead of writing it off due to high resale value right now. Not only are new vehicle prices high but used vehicles, especially Tundras, are nowhere to be found and as such command a high price.
Ok, that wasn't great wording. It's not worth buying a new truck, therefore I'll keep my old one. Selling an old beater for 10 or $15k, then buying a new one for $80k? Nope. I'm not doing it.

She's a 2006 F250 super duty Lariat, 228000 miles, doesn't use oil, no major mechanical issues, and She's payed for. My wife has been wanting me to sell this truck and get a newer one, but every time I look at a newer truck, the price is outrageous! They want more for a used truck than what this one cost when it was new! So I've decided to just give the old truck some TLC, starting with cab mount bushings. Figured while I was at it I'd take out all the seats, take the carpet out and give it a good power washing.
How old is the CB radio?

Selling an old beater for 10 or $15k, then buying a new one for $80k? Nope. I'm not doing it.
EXACTLY!!! I can't bring myself to do that either, I can do everything I would like to do to my old truck and still be money ahead for what they want for a used truck. That's including an extreme makeover, which is what I intend to do. I love the 06 Super Duty body style, but I love the interior of the newer trucks so I've been reading up on interior swaps. Plus the 06 still has that loud clatter that I think a diesel truck should have. My wife asked why do you like your truck to be so noisy? I said to her, you should know by now that I'm trying to over compensate for my shortcomings :cool:

EXACTLY!!! I can't bring myself to do that either, I can do everything I would like to do to my old truck and still be money ahead for what they want for a used truck. That's including an extreme makeover, which is what I intend to do. I love the 06 Super Duty body style, but I love the interior of the newer trucks so I've been reading up on interior swaps. Plus the 06 still has that loud clatter that I think a diesel truck should have. My wife asked why do you like your truck to be so noisy? I said to her, you should know by now that I'm trying to over compensate for my shortcomings :cool:
When I drive down the street in my 2001 Cummins dually, people are running to get their garbage out;)

It is foolish to buy a new vehicle right now. This is especially true if talking about GM, Ford and Ram. Quality control is at all time low and price is at a record high. That is not the time to buy. The repo market is slowly exploding which will drive prices down some.

Even if an otherwise old truck that runs great needed a $5000 to $7000 transmission that would be a bargain right now!

I am sure your wife is a great person and wonderful wife but I think she is out of touch with the reality of what the world is doing at this moment in time. Now if you are made out of money and the insane price combined with lowest ever quality control and durability means nothing than I could see her point of view.

Have you tried explaining this to your wife?

I buy Toyota's then drive them for 20+ years usually doing nothing but plugs, belts, brakes, oil changes, air filters, coolant and struts over that 20 years! IF not for road salt and rust they would last even longer. My family drove one for 29 years but we did repaint that one at 19 years. It was sun backed from 6 years in Georgia before moving to Michigan! It is still on the road in my area. It has been repainted a few times. That one is 36 years old and used hard off road all the time.

Right now is the time to make the repairs and kick the can down the road until things improve unless your made out of money! The insanely high prices combined with inflation is what is feeding the repo market like no other time in history!

No, not made of money. Just don't owe a lot of money, 99% of what we have is paid off. That's another reason I don't want to pick up another payment. She's pretty frugal with money, She's the reason we have everything paid off except the $2500 I have left on my Nissan Frontier. I've kinda let the looks of the F250 lag behind, paints gotten bad, cab mounts crumbled, miner pings and blemishes it's starting to show its age, she just would like me to have a nicer truck but I'm totally happy with just fixing up the old one. She's fine with me keeping it, she just wants me to start getting it back in shape so that's what I've started to do, its just going to be a work in progress.

Reactions: KyPoohCDX618
F150, 2001. Spent a bunch of time installing radios, antennas, GPS, ground strap, HF antennas, 198k miles. Lots of spare parts available and it runs fine.
If someone is telling you to buy new because you have an old truck it is probably because they are idiots.

Wally that truck looks like its mint body wise, 03's in Ontario with all the salt rock and brine spray here it will rusted to crap. Unless you oil spray 2 times a year. More people are making due with their older cars and trucks, see it at our bodyshop and the The mechanics next to us. Your truck has a lot of life left in it good luck and enjoy it!

Reminds me of my first truck I bought after buying this house. A old chevy 2 wheel drive 6 cyl. 1/2 ton with 50 some thousand miles on it. Drove it 10 years, replaced both front fenders, welded a new floor in the cab, fixed a lot of rust, fixed the gas tank twice, change the clutch laying in my gravel driveway before I had a garage. Put 2 extra leafs in the rear on each side and it was a working fool like me. My buddy and I took it out in a bad snow storm and with 2 large pieces of flag stone in the back we pulled people out of ditches. No wonder I'm a broke down old guy now. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated