• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Near Truck Stop - Should I Expect to Hear Something?

channel 28 for dxers,,, channel 38 lsb for skipshooters channel 6 for superbowl and channel 9 for the spanish superbowl,,,,,and about the west coast i remember at one time out there there was 2 truckers channels 17 was north south and 19 was east west,,,,
What are "dxers"? And "skipshooters"?

And I believe you are correct about channels 17 and 19. Just spoke to the local CB shop this morning and that's what they told me.

Reactions: Rwb
38 lower side band is the standard sideband channel for international and nationwide long distance communications. They are either called 'DXers' ('DX' is shorthand for distance talk) or 'skip shooters', since they are using a skip wave bounce to get the distance.

'Skip' as it is commonly called, occurs when the Ionosphere gets sufficiently charged with ions to reflect radio signal over longer distances. The stronger the Ionosphere is charged; then radio signals can be bounced multiple times. If conditions are strong enough, one can reach across the entire planet. Been there; done that.

They use SSB ('single side band mode'). You cannot do that as well on a regular AM only radio; the radio must have that mode built in to use 38LSB since received signals are more easily heard in this mode (SSB).

Presently, there is little/no skip happening now, since we are in the time period of very low solar activity, since sun spots themselves contribute to the charging of the Ionosphere. Skip may pop up from time to time, but in a couple of years it is going to happen more and more, peaking before/around 2024 and then begin to decline again. In the mean time, skip will happen rarely - if at all.

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle Rwb
thank you.it was built from a savage action.blueprinted shilen barrel,boyds stock fitted to me. 22-250.funny its newly done in photo with a cheep scope on it waiting on my new weaver.funny part like cb radios $600 radio n $15 antenna expecting it to reach out,
$700 rifle with $20 scope expecting it to work.
I shot 100 rounds breaking it in with that scope.got new scope in n set.its a tack driver

Nice! I have bolt actions ranging from .257 Roberts to .35 Whelen with right many in between those two calibers. Plus lever rifles from .22 to .45-70.

I'm a Leupold fan but also have Weave, Redfield and Burris scopes plus a Bushnell or two

.30-06...Sako L61R Finnbear action, Douglas barrel, Fajen Aristocrat Mannlicher stock...from the early 1970's

413460517.jpg

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
Nice! I have bolt actions ranging from .257 Roberts to .35 Whelen with right many in between those two calibers. Plus lever rifles from .22 to .45-70.

I'm a Leupold fan but also have Weaver and Redfield scopes plus a Bushnell or two

.30-06...Sako LR51 Finnbear action, Douglas barrel, Fajen Aristocrat Mannlicher stock...from the early 1970's

413460517.jpg
thats nice too.we must be about same in arms.i got a barrett big 50 bmg,45/70,45/120,7.62x54,22-250,22 hornet,204 ruger.many pistols n shotguns

These new kids will never know the joy of finding the right gear ...

I think Automatics sux - theres' nothing like the "grip" you get from a clutch...
i was told 5 showed up to work where im at n said automatics or no.boss said he drives a 5x4 with ease.they looked at me like wtf is 5x4. My first truck had a 180 cummins 5x3 cable operated power divider bench seat no power steering or ac.did have a genuine am push button ihc radio.looked at spec sheet on that r 190 n the radio was 1 whole dollar more with push buttons.the non push button radio and antenna cost a wallet burning $4.50

Ah! AM radio, nothing like dozing off to a ball-game, buzzing - fading in and out - while Dad drives the car...he was a big fan of Manuals and his first Cutlass was an Auto so mom could drive it...it even came with an 8-Track.

Dad made a lot of sacrifices in his life for us...;)

I try to honor that; by living the life I enjoy for what it is, by his example of being prepared.

Ah! AM radio, nothing like dozing off to a ball-game, buzzing - fading in and out - while Dad drives the car...he was a big fan of Manuals and his first Cutlass was an Auto so mom could drive it...it even came with an 8-Track.

Dad made a lot of sacrifices in his life for us...;)

I try to honor that; by living the life I enjoy for what it is, by his example of being prepared.
kinda how dad was.but he ran 5 trucks n farmed made a living

S&W357 , I checked Rwb's profile page and saw his age , he's up there in age like you and myself . Gun Collections like ours don't fall in your lap ! It takes a lot of years and $ to get them . Someday I'll figure out how to post pic's !:LOL: My prizes are my 303 British Enfield and my German Mauser both puchased @ Woolworths for $49.95 each and I sporterized them . If I new what they would be worth now in original condition I never would have touch them ! Just a dumb kid in my 20's back then .:ROFLMAO: Btw the pic's of the guns you both posted are SWEET !

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.