• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Near Truck Stop - Should I Expect to Hear Something?

S&W357 , I checked Rwb's profile page and saw his age , he's up there in age like you and myself . Gun Collections like ours don't fall in your lap ! It takes a lot of years and $ to get them . Someday I'll figure out how to post pic's !:LOL: My prizes are my 303 British Enfield and my German Mauser both puchased @ Woolworths for $49.95 each and I sporterized them . If I new what they would be worth now in original condition I never would have touch them ! Just a dumb kid in my 20's back then .:ROFLMAO: Btw the pic's of the guns you both posted are SWEET !
yes got my first rifle around 8 years old shotgun too.i got a total of 40 firearms.but took years to build up.i reload for 204 ruger,22 hornet,22-250,45 colt and 45/120 .id load many more calibers but dont shoot them as much as the ones i just listed. And i encourage young people to buy arms when they can then get out n shoot become proficient too. Male or female

Rwb , I was 10 when I started and try to share my hobby with people also , I actually trained my wife and she's getting to be a better shot than me !:ROFLMAO: I just started reloading about a year ago and I'm still learning , I cast my own loads for 38 & 45 for " Playing " on the farm but reload , 38,357,45,303 and 8mm @ this time . Like said still " Learning " it's an art ! I just purchased a new 64 gun safe and trying to get enough help to get it from the garage to family room .:LOL:

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
357 magnum those safes are HEAVY . I stacked those half block cinder blocks under the floor to the ground under where my safe sets.
My daughter at 5 could hit a skeet with her 22 marlin youth rifle.luckily nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away.we shoot those skeet to the west n nearest is 3 miles.can see west too incase some farmer is in field or car going by.
My wife isnt a great shot but last years skeet turkey shoot at vfw hall she won a turkey n a ham. She was shooting an old cheep stoeger 20 side by side.i won 2 hams n a big package pork chops shooting grandads old 1897 winchester.lots of fun n easy way to get food

Rwb , Right on the safe almost 500 lbs . I have it on my motorcycle jack now so I can move it around , it's just that one big step in the way !:LOL: I'm lucky here my back yard is a hunting area over 2K acres .

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
I frequently travel I-70, between Columbus and Zanesville, Ohio. There are several truck stops and a few CB Shops in between, too. Plenty of traffic on CB, I never have trouble striking up conversations. There are numerous base stations to talk to in the evenings.
are the cb shops good? Several rivers use same guy i use in missouri n say he is the best 1 around.he dont stagecoach rob you,that may be why he always has a crowd? But he smoothes a rough radio out

Reactions: TheRATT
There are 3 shops within a few mile stretch. One shop in Heath, Ohio is pretty good, Communications Unlimited is the shop. He does commercial radio installs and repairs. Has a full service repair facility. I think he dabbles in CB's, because he'd be stupid not to, given his location ti the Pilot and other truck stops. The other two shops, are your basic dumbass whack 'n hack rip off joints. I've used the one shop to source components and stuff. He's kinda pricey, but does legitimate work.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
Thats good.the guy i use knows a radios limits n tunes under that spot.makes sure not splattering all over n way over modulated. Most like to turn n say watch the watt meter.this guy is a $10 radio on a $1000 antenna will always out perform a$1000 radioon a $10 antenna.
He straightened out lots of golden screwdriver jobs

Reactions: 357magnum
Too bad it's not that active on 19 for me any longer , some nights when the airways were quiet it always provided entertainment listening to them and once in a while giving them directions . If the wind is blowing right I can hear the trucks on I-95 but airways are quiet . I also have a Truck Stop within 10 miles of me on Exit 5 .

Reactions: Rwb
Could not imagine ever driving a automatic. But that is what they are going to. I heard 75% of all new trucks are automatic.

The new autos are a wonder. Nothing like from a few years ago. Anyone claiming experience in an Auto with those has no relevant experience.

I now work for a firm that is almost 100% automatics. At twenty years, I’m a long ways from being the old hand. It’s never a subject. (Sure, if we owned our own, a $40,000 Auto trans would not be preferred).

In my first 90,000 miles with one since Xmas (Detroit 12L & 12-Auto) I think I reached for the shifter twice. Had just come out of hauling a smoothbore tanker in a brand-new Kenworth with an 18. Job with an Auto was the same description.

Today’s is a 579 Peterblt (Cadillac spec) with a PACCAR MX13 and a 10-Auto. Twelve would be my preference to limit rpm drop. Then again, double-digit fuel economy is no small matter. The man who specs the trucks had over 30-years with CAT. I’m rarely under 8.5-mpg loaded to maximum. Running 67/68-mph.

No one misses having to downshift for some podunk town and then the series of upshifts leaving it.

Triple axle discs, VERY smart programming, and non-linear choices about engine braking make it far easier to be smooth. You wouldn’t believe the integration between engine brake operation and downshift programming until you experienced it. (Sooner or later, John Henry can’t keep up with the steam hammer).

And as said, the fuel economy is more than impressive. I see double digits whenever empty or light.

One educates ones right foot. That’s the learning hump (besides that they’re slower off the line). Finesse.

I’d take a job where the trans was a 13 or 18. But nothing else. A ten Auto beats a ten Manual every day and in every situation.

I’d agree it’s a good thing to learn how to move a big truck with a manual. Mainly about stopping distances. But I’d no more accept a job where the tractor had drum brakes either. (Pray hard, apply.) Or trailers without ABS.

It’s less fatiguing, there are fewer potential screwups, and one KEEPS one attention on what matters: steering & braking.

With the historically greatest invasion of a sovereign nation by foreigners underway (67-million do NOT speak English at home) todays traffic is nothing like 1973. IQ in general is far lower. And inability to make deductions from information in mirrors changes almost everything else. Visuo-spatial skills aren’t there. Once a safe assumption. Now one MUST notice patterns. Can’t assume based on ones self any longer.

Besides, ha, now it’s easier to fiddle with the radio. Your big toe does the work that used to take two feet. The advice was always: learn to give the truck what it wants. That’s now a more direct relationship.

It’s different. But it’s also “better” (as definitions have changed with new conditions; engines have FAR more power today. Drivetrains are stronger. Etc).

.f

Last edited:
So, to the OP, one “might” hear more chatter near a truckstop. In rural areas the locals can be talkative. But it’s on reaching the major metro areas that it picks up. See the map: Mega-City Regions of the United States (roughly). Population concentrations.

One half-intelligent driver yammering on can draw in dozens. Usually turns to insults after a bit, but that can be fun too. Job stress relief. You should hear me when a car driver has nearly caused me to maim or kill him (“Come on, driver, tell us how you REALLY feel”). Better not be offended by profane words.

Truck drivers aren’t readers. Like today’s youngsters. Reliant on video. Last to know and worst informed.

Talk about the job is usually intelligent. Anything else and it can get hinky.

I would no more be without a CB than I would leave home without my license and medical certification. When you need them you REALLY need them.

But today’s “plastic” trucks have made it hard to have a good radio set-up. It’s no surprise to me many drivers give up. Or rely exclusively on phone apps. (“Truckers Path” near universality; some now use as moving map. Try and tell them that nothing is “free”, ha!).

It’s become rare to find those who know what is a really great rig. $500 for a phone, sure. $500 for a very complete (very good) set of radio equipment? Naw . . .

I stuck a hybrid CB in the overhead slot yesterday. A Uniden 885 CB/Scanner. Uses GPS data. See threads on RadioReference. This sort of tool “may” make having a radio more attractive. I wish there’d been room for SSB, but, . . . .

(All of yesterday’s hoodlums were born in the early 2000’s. Man, am I getting old. 1998 was yesterday).

Last edited:
Where I am now it's all new Petes with Paccar engines and 10 speed automatics, I would take a ten speed manual over these ****boxes any day of the week. If I had a trainee that was as rough on slow tight maneuvers with a manual as these things are I would tell the boss to cut his losses and get rid of the guy.

Reactions: Rwb
Find yourself an asphalt plant, you’ll hear chitter chatter, cause dump truck drivers can’t shut their big fat pile holes (I know, I am one).

Automatic, I wish. That 8LL has ruined my left knee and when I ordered my truck had I been a little more patient, I’d have gotten the automatic. If you drive a dump truck and you have to creep in front of a milling machine, you’d appreciate an automatic.

I live a few miles off a somewhat major highway here and I spend countless hours out in my shop working on radios, I rarely hear anything on 19 either.

.... If you drive a dump truck and you have to creep in front of a milling machine, you’d appreciate an automatic. ....
Have you actually driven an automatic? the ones I've driven don't creep very well.

In the Allisons I've driven you need to constantly ride the brake for any kind of speed control and the auto-stick types lunge when on the throttle and then go into neutral when you get off it, a lack of anything that resembles slow speed control is one of their biggest problems.

So, to the OP, one “might” hear more chatter near a truckstop. In rural areas the locals can be talkative. But it’s on reaching the major metro areas that it picks up. See the map: Mega-City Regions of the United States (roughly). Population concentrations.

One half-intelligent driver yammering on can draw in dozens. Usually turns to insults after a bit, but that can be fun too. Job stress relief. You should hear me when a car driver has nearly caused me to maim or kill him (“Come on, driver, tell us how you REALLY feel”). Better not be offended by profane words.

Truck drivers aren’t readers. Like today’s youngsters. Reliant on video. Last to know and worst informed.

Talk about the job is usually intelligent. Anything else and it can get hinky.

I would no more be without a CB than I would leave home without my license and medical certification. When you need them you REALLY need them.

But today’s “plastic” trucks have made it hard to have a good radio set-up. It’s no surprise to me many drivers give up. Or rely exclusively on phone apps. (“Truckers Path” near universality; some now use as moving map. Try and tell them that nothing is “free”, ha!).

It’s become rare to find those who know what is a really great rig. $500 for a phone, sure. $500 for a very complete (very good) set of radio equipment? Naw . . .

I stuck a hybrid CB in the overhead slot yesterday. A Uniden 885 CB/Scanner. Uses GPS data. See threads on RadioReference. This sort of tool “may” make having a radio more attractive. I wish there’d been room for SSB, but, . . . .

(All of yesterday’s hoodlums were born in the early 2000’s. Man, am I getting old. 1998 was yesterday).

I kinda wonder how well that Uniden 885 actually works. Maybe in the 80's-90's pretty good but today not so well. Our city, county, fire, and ems are all on a Motorola APCO 25 system that is encrypted. There is not a scanner or ap made that picks it up. Your right, a radio without SSB is just not worth it to me.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?