• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Near Truck Stop - Should I Expect to Hear Something?

Maybe my standards for creeping are different than others but turning off the hill hold isn't good enough when you're trying to maneuver through a small neighborhood gas station in the five boroughs with a 45 foot tank on the fifth wheel, with a manual these maneuvers aren't a problem.

Been hauling tanks close to 30 years now with a roughly equal mix of fuel tanks and smooth bores as well as road and local work, you don't need to explain surge to me. Once you learn to read the load and work with it shifting smoothly doesn't take much effort/attention at all.

There's a lot more to handling a truck than steering and braking.

This may be right, I don't know much about what you're running over there. I just know that I don't like what we have here. I wouldn't doubt what you're saying though because while Europe does seem to readily adopt new stuff the American trucking industry has until recently taken more of a if it's not broke don't fix it approach.

PS: The vast majority of my experience is in tanker work and in tanker work it's all about reading the movement of the load and working in harmony with it. With a manual I can work with the load without problems, with any automatic that I've driven the timing has always been off. They don't have the ability to anticipate what the load is going to do next and work with it.

In a nutshell I think most of my issues with autos is that all they can do is react to the situation they are presented with, they don't have the ability to anticipate what's coming so they can work with it.

Many tank vehicles could have fit your previous posts. Clarification always helps. Explanations were also for others unfamiliar. An Allison on a straight truck is different than an articulated with a wholly different drivetrain.

Living where you do is the challenge. I’d have expected the owner to have worked with his drivers. The fuel drops I’ve done were all in-ground. A foot didn’t matter.

Lining up to pipes from a wall, yeah, different beast. Tried coasting in Neutral?

Reactions: Rwb
I do not envy their job. Live herd and cattle are some of the most unpredictable....
ive got tired n forgot to weave,went into 40 mph curve doing 40 mph.they were relaxed n many all but fell making for a severe lean.scares the chit rite out of ya.

I never hauled cattle professionally but did someone a favor ONCE ! I hauled 3 in my wife's new horse trailer , never again , they had me swinging all over the place and lets not forget they had Cow Crap all over the thing ! To this day I still wonder how they managed to get it on the inside of the roof ! My wife wasn't to happy w/ me on my return !:eek:o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: S&W357
I never hauled cattle professionally but did someone a favor ONCE ! I hauled 3 in my wife's new horse trailer , never again , they had me swinging all over the place and lets not forget they had Cow Crap all over the thing ! To this day I still wonder how they managed to get it on the inside of the roof ! My wife wasn't to happy w/ me on my return !:eek:o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
well heard that saying or read in outhouses says anybody can pee on the floor ,be a hero n chit on the cieling?

Reactions: 357magnum
Rwb , That must be something cows learn @ birth ! I can't even imagine what the inside of commercial trailer looks like after a long haul ! Just sayin' !:LOL:

Rwb , That must be something cows learn @ birth ! I can't even imagine what the inside of commercial trailer looks like after a long haul ! Just sayin' !:LOL:
a washout every 3rd load unles shipper or reciever requests another

Reactions: 357magnum
Maybe my standards for creeping are different than others but turning off the hill hold isn't good enough when you're trying to maneuver through a small neighborhood gas station in the five boroughs with a 45 foot tank on the fifth wheel, with a manual these maneuvers aren't a problem.

You should see the places I have to go to. Many businesses UK truckers deliver to are centuries old and were designed with horse and cart in mind. My company also seems to have a habit of going round a town or city, finding a business premises with the smallest yard with the worst access and going "we'll have that." Quite often I have to manoeuvre in places so tight I'm having to put the headboard of a trailer over the hood of a car.

I've also pulled milk tankers in the past with an autobox and as you know milk tankers don't have baffles in them unlike the tankers you're pulling. That means I have to deal with 55,000lb of milk sloshing around in a single barrel and it's never been an issue in an automatic.

You should see the places I have to go to. Many businesses UK truckers deliver to are centuries old and were designed with horse and cart in mind. My company also seems to have a habit of going round a town or city, finding a business premises with the smallest yard with the worst access and going "we'll have that." Quite often I have to manoeuvre in places so tight I'm having to put the headboard of a trailer over the hood of a car.

I've also pulled milk tankers in the past with an autobox and as you know milk tankers don't have baffles in them unlike the tankers you're pulling. That means I have to deal with 55,000lb of milk sloshing around in a single barrel and it's never been an issue in an automatic.
used to haul hot oil in a no baffel trailer.even worse we had 73280 gross weight in arkansas n missouri,80000 gross weight in oklahoma and kansas the less weight was a keep you alert.if it was going to some places we filled them full and avoided scales.our tanks with average trailers rarely weighed 81000 full.
Mid south milling in memphis,tenn before the rebuild was a snug fit very snug

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
.... milk tankers don't have baffles in them unlike the tankers you're pulling. ....

Chemical tankers over here don't have baffles and I've done a lot of chemical work, never had a problem with a manual.

OK I get it, some people like the autos, I also agree that autos do have some advantages. I have experience with both and I prefer a manual, I can do things with a manual that autos prevent me from doing.

Chemical tankers over here don't have baffles and I've done a lot of chemical work, never had a problem with a manual.

OK I get it, some people like the autos, I also agree that autos do have some advantages. I have experience with both and I prefer a manual, I can do things with a manual that autos prevent me from doing.
lots of our us built tanks are baffle free.i prefer manual shift.had 2 on the farm.they liked the shop more than the field. Application has a lot to do with it i suppose but if you shift proper there is no sloshing. Haul cattle thats something no book can explane. You drive by the seat of your pants n admit you been scared so bad your underware matches the floor substance in the trailer

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
All you can do is buy them flowers and hope they decide to be nice.;)
yep n not 1 load rides the same some cows are mean ,wild some are gentle plus if 2 or 3 are in heat that can be a major game player.i watched n if i spotted any in heat i tried to put em in bottom or the small compartments

used to haul hot oil in a no baffel trailer.even worse we had 73280 gross weight in arkansas n missouri,80000 gross weight in oklahoma and kansas the less weight was a keep you alert.if it was going to some places we filled them full and avoided scales.our tanks with average trailers rarely weighed 81000 full.
Mid south milling in memphis,tenn before the rebuild was a snug fit very snug

Hmm... Not sure if I'm having a flashback to New Jersey or New York - scary stuff...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?