• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help on cb radio setup

poboy

Apr 14, 2020
Hey y'all, I'm looking to get some alternative communications setup for at home, and was considering setting up a base station with a big antenna with a CB that has SSB. I was going to use a "mobile" cb for the base station with DC to AC adapter to save some money. Can you experts give me some suggestions so I don't waste what money I have on pieces of shit? I would want two radios, one for vehicle and one for home. Also looked at handheld units, but I can't find any that work on ssb except some old hard to find units, and even then I am not sure that is the best way to go....

Hi,

I am on pretty flat terrain, and the terrain all over this area is pretty flat. The only thing potentially blocking RF would be trees or buildings basically, so if I go high enough with the antenna I could have pretty good line of sight over a pretty long range. I don't have a ham license and wasn't intending to get one. I would love to be able to get 30 mile range, but would be happy with less if that's what I have to settle on. Just wondering what options I have. I have a lot to learn but want to dive in quickly because with the current situation we are in, I want some form of backup communications, so rather than just listening to idiots on google or whatever I decided to come ask the people that probably have more experience for some recommendations...

I'm trying to do something on a pretty small budget ($500) but still do the best I can on that budget by searching classifieds, ebay, or other used equipment, and I have coax and can make whatever connections I need to make. I don't have experience with radio, but I understand signal loss through length of line and line type etc. I was hoping to get two used cb radios and a couple antennas. One antenna for vehicle and one for base station as big as I can afford. Or homemade. I've made antennas before, although for a different application. I have made Yagi's and have a design software that I used so that I could hit the frequencies I desired....

Uniden-BEARCAT-980-CB-Radio_330x280.jpg

https://udn.factoryoutletstore.com/...80.html?category_id=29832&catalogitemid=82212

I think I will take your suggestion on the Uniden. I had already been eyeballing that unit because it looked like it would do everything I wanted, and had pretty good reputation. The only thing that worried me is the digital display of everything. I like manual everything as much as possible, but if you are having good success with it then maybe I'll just go for it.

What about the amp though? I thought those were illegal or something. Don't want any problems... But if worst come to worst.......... Might be good to have

Any base station antenna suggestions? Also, doesn't SSB operate on a different frequency range than standard CB and therefore need a different antenna?

Thanks for all the help.

Welcome!
I think the best bang for the buck is a Uniden 980 and a KL203. I am loving mine, I got the. Wireless MIC for it and can walk all around the yard with it. Sometimes you can catch the 980 on sale, but even regular price is a bargain. Excellent audio and solid performance right out of the box.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/new-uniden-980s-on-sale.247742/page-4#post-693163

Agreed. best bang for the buck. 980 SSB.

A McKinley is aslo very stable.

Your antenna should be a wave length mounted above ground. 36 feet to coax connection at base of antenna. 30 foot has good qualities also.

Your base needs a power supply able to handle the load, radio and amp draw. At least 30 watt set at 14 vdc. Uniden is very stable radio, if you add an Astatic D104M6B microphone it talks real well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.