• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need help on cb radio setup

You can always buy a CB radio used for about $50.
But few considers the antenna as the most important element, which it is.

You can't get GAIN out of a mobile antenna; no matter if it is a 1/4w steel whip.
That is only unity gain. Mobile antennas shorter than that become more and more inefficient as they get shorter.

A base antenna can have real positive gain. Which is effective radiated power, so that a greater output is realized. And it is legal to do. A gain of 5.3db from a 5/8w antenna is better than being slapped in the face with a 3 day old fish. A beam antenna can have between 9db to 13db of gain, depending on the number of elements.

Used a $20 SSB radio last solar cycle and a four element Yagi, and I talked the world with that arrangement. Wasn't that stock radio that can get the credit for that, but the antenna gets all of the credit for making it effective power.
I like that! Especially being slapped in the face with a fish.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I work other countries on a daily basis using a piece of pipe found in the corner of my garage. No need to wait for the solar cycle.

Not to say a yagi wouldn’t do me better, but it might be a little tricky on my pickup truck.

Going back to the original question...I think the radio advice the OP got was spot on. $50 radios are quite a gamble, and who really wants to start off like that?
Really think you could do better also......maybe a Stargunn building block set could compliment that plumber piping antenna:LOL:

Really think you could do better also......maybe a Stargunn building block set could compliment that plumber piping antenna:LOL:

Now how to fit on the dodge...

0BF8FC4C-0DED-4BCF-A0FC-1419DC7D69C1.png

Yeah I am used to working with 1.9 GHZ or 800+ MHZ. When you are working with say 27MHZ the dipoles are like 16 feet long each lol That's crazy. That's a huge project (have a lot of projects already going on!) I think I'll have to do something a little more basic for starters :)

Yeah I am used to working with 1.9 GHZ or 800+ MHZ. When you are working with say 27MHZ the dipoles are like 16 feet long each lol That's crazy. That's a huge project (have a lot of projects already going on!) I think I'll have to do something a little more basic for starters :)

It you’re wanting fun antenna projects then there’s no shortage of them for 11M.

Rob is right...the antenna counts for a lot.

It’s just that your initial question implied mobile to base comms with a focus on what radios to buy...and you truly got some good advice. You just can’t find a better deal on a new SSB radio anywhere. It was working the world on a $20 gamble of a radio that made me part ways with his thoughts.

Opinions come out on topics like this, and invariably some hyperbolic conclusions come into play.

Usually it’s about an amplifier and a conflicting opinion that you need nothing more than a HT and a wet noodle...but it’s all the same.

Doesn't have to be a Yagi; but they are nice!
A 5/8w antenna 30 ft from the ground makes the antenna effective and is omni-directional (all sides radiate equally) for local communications/skip conditions with approx. 5.5db of gain. Sirio has many offerings and price ranges. Very popular antenna; you might consider one of those.

But supporting it is important. So is grounding it for lightning. Keeping it clear from power lines should it fall for any reason or direction is your #1 concern. Some will go as far as putting up a tower, which is a costly way to go but effective. Some use push-up poles that use guy rope (dacron rope that is UV stabilized). So long as the base is stable and it is adequately guyed, that is a simple solution. I do that - BTW - cheap and simple if done right..

The length of coax used and its quality will determine the overall amount of db loss. Another important point.
Even if you were to make a simple dipole with 2.3db of gain NEEDS to be at 25 to 30 feet off of the ground to be as efficient as you would expect.

Last edited:
I think I will take your suggestion on the Uniden. I had already been eyeballing that unit because it looked like it would do everything I wanted, and had pretty good reputation. The only thing that worried me is the digital display of everything. I like manual everything as much as possible, but if you are having good success with it then maybe I'll just go for it.

What about the amp though? I thought those were illegal or something. Don't want any problems... But if worst come to worst.......... Might be good to have

Any base station antenna suggestions? Also, doesn't SSB operate on a different frequency range than standard CB and therefore need a different antenna?

Thanks for all the help.
Sideband is still in the CB band. It is just part of a channel as opposed to am that takes up a whole channel.

The thing about an amp on the CB band, people who don't break the speed limit still use an amp....

As a sidebar, the quietest area I hit as an OTR truck driver is north of Paris in Oklahoma.

I, too, have & recommend the

Uniden 980 AM/SSB
RM ITALY KL-203

combo.

My desired addition is a

West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker

which features digital signal filtration to clean up a LOT of noise.

In that part of OK at night I can not only run everything wide open, but at times have to back down the RF Gain as there can be too many conversations to capture.

There are threads & posts about the speaker or a separate module to install inline.

Not cheap, but worth every penny to me. Keep some notes on it.

Tough also. Mines bounced along right at a quarter million miles.

Sideband is still in the CB band. It is just part of a channel as opposed to am that takes up a whole channel.

The thing about an amp on the CB band, people who don't break the speed limit still use an amp....

The best thing about SSB is that it 100% information. Nothing is wasted. No useless carrier or wasted other side band.
The side band you demodulate is all information.

If you by a KL-203, DO NOT get the "P" version. Waste of extra money.

Forgot.

But as I’m also new I don’t have a decades worth of stuff to use to fabricate. It’s all up front cost.

Compile lists

It can be easy to overlook details. Which matter. And can bust the budget (even if it’s more a target than a constraint).

Example:

AMPHENOL connectors can
be a “surprise “ to price. And you may want several.

List #1. Base

Microphone, then radio, then coax jumper to X then . . .

List #2. Mobile

(Repeat)

My two mobile projects have had priority. My Bible has been

www.K0BG.com

With online suppliers I’m happy with:

Bells CB
Clays CB
Bobs CB

DX Engineering
Universal Radio
TAC COMM
Palomar Engineers
Morgan Systems
Array Solutions

HRO (has retail in Plano, TX)
Larry’s CB in McKinney, TX

Amazon I’ve gone to for power cable, split loom, lugs, heat shrink terminations, split nuts, etc.

As a truck driver I can easily overspend without some reference organization as time to plan = I’m not at home.

I’ve known several fine people from Paris. Gone now. That mixed forest up there is beautiful, as is Lake Pat Mayes and the short run to the Mountain Fork River.

Last edited:
Poboy , Welcome to the forum ! (y) Nothing wrong w/ that 980 & amp combo , many use them . Yes , Amps are Illegal on 11m , but " Some " of use them . :whistle:;) I'm sure you won't have the first " Illegal " 11m amp in Tx ! That's for sure !:LOL: Be respectful of your neighbors when using it ! If you have all that wire I'd build my first antenna , lot's of options & you can cover a lot of area depending on how you hang them . Just a thought . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

This is the place I got mine. I also got an Anytone 5555 from them too. It is more than the 980 but is the best value in the $200 range in my opinion. It is a 10 meter radio and can be converted to have CB coverage with a few simple menu selections. Its great for talking on the upper frequencies. (The channels above 40 are the CB channels in other countries. The international call channel is 27.555 USB) They have a distribution warehouse in California.

e083ac4df288f0b9f03ec1adbe79e026_L-228x228.jpg

http://www.88radio.com/cb-amp/RM-Italy-KL-203
AT-5555-228x228.jpg

http://www.88radio.com/Anytone-AT-5555

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.