• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need suggestions on a radio... AM/SSB

Hey camaro1, how do you like the Alinco?? That is one that was brought to my attention a while back, is it a hard convert for 11m use?? I think I remember it not being. Thanks for any replies and god bless.

Hey camaro1, how do you like the Alinco?? That is one that was brought to my attention a while back, is it a hard convert for 11m use?? I think I remember it not being. Thanks for any replies and god bless.

easy conversion, just 2 sets of pads you solder together then a radio reset when you power it on. I really like it, the factory mic is not so good, took a little while to make it channelized for 11m in one of the memory banks (has 3 memory banks and 2 vfo banks) I made an 8-4 pin adapter and have my modified D104 on it, been using it as my main base radio and the optima in the mobile

Last edited:
Good deal, I appreciate and value all you guys replies, heck, camaro1, you are the one that turned me onto the magnum 257hp. I appreciate all the help and replies. God bless.

The SR8T really has good AM and SSB audio. I use a D104, Astatic 878 and a Superstar pistol grip mic on my SR8T and DX-70.

I think the SR8T is a really good value for what u get. Shop around for the best price. HRO will price comp and you'll save money with free shipping and zero tax, as long as u don't live in a brick and mortar state.

I use mine for local 10 meter SSB gab sessions. It sees a lot of 40 meter CW use as well. It's built like a tank. I just wish the encoder shaft was more stout.

Duster,
I think I read a thread from you a bit ago, you stated someone on here could tune the Mk3.. I think his user name may have been something with Thirteen in it? Maybe not. But anyway, you said it was someone on here. Thanks

The Optima really doesn't need any tuning. You'll just be lining someone else's pocket, not to mention shipping costs. Just open the case, pull the jumper and your golden. The ONLY thing that YOU may want to do is bump the ALC slightly. All controls are marked, very simple to do.

With the ALC... When you say bump it, we talking like 1/8" turn? 1/4 turn? I dont need a meter or anything to do that adjustment do I?

Also, the mic that is worth getting is the ICOM HM-36 from ebay, the one that says Japan on the box and back of the mic?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.