• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

This guy I know well, Penn who's a Ham. He sent me the video....and I linked it to mine. It's very puzzling as I have two Mates who swopped an A99 with a SGM (same pole feeder ect ect) and they have seen a great improvement over the A99. Penn said he wasn't too happy with his test and is trying to find a few guys on a Net further away to do some more tests. The truth is I guess 85% of buyers have seen very good improvements over what they use currently. I know I'm more than happy with mine.....as many more are.

Well Oggy, when I first started comparing my GM I noticed when it was mounted close to the house and only 18' high it showed to be sluggish. I raised up to 24' and the signals seemed to show a little improvement. I have another mount further out back that is more in the open and I may mount it out there and do more comparisons with two antennas on a switch box. I told the guys I was going to start using just one mount and coax to compare, but yesterday I put up an A99 w/o GPK where my GM had been and I started taking comparisons with my list of contacts at 18'.

Right off I didn't notice the sluggishness I had noticed with the GM, although I do caution A99 owners not to set the base of their A99 too close to stuff as well. I think the GM is just too sensitive to be set low or close to anything. I think that Scott (007) will also suggest the same idea. At first he an I discussed the antennas being to close together at 35' feet, and subsequent testing with the GM in the air by itself I think proved that to be possible. However, I believe that problem can also show up when the GM is too close in height as well. I PM'ed Mr. Penn asking this question regarding his report. I can't tell what would happen if I could raise the A99 higher to match the height of the GM, but I believe it might show a little better even though the increase is less than 5' feet.

My A99 testing so far is pretty much what Penn is seeing compared to the GM, and that really surprised me. However, I've said for a long time that my old A99 really works great, and it has even shown better signals in the past compared to my Imax...with both at the same 40' tip height. Previously my testing here showed me every time I compared two antennas that were mounted at the same tip height...the shorter antenna always showed better signals. I have such a report posted in my album supporting what I saw with the A99 vs. Imax.

That said however, I note the height of the Imax base was at 17' in that report and it may have experienced the same sluggish fate as note above, being too low to the Earth and not quite above the peak of my roof at my location. At my location these verticals may show similar result (sluggishness) in all cases. Avanti called it "shadow" and that was a factor in the AstroPlane design, but in that case they were referring to building being in the way of a portion of the antenna not necessarily the height above the Earth.

BTW, I commend CTStallion on his nice comments above being easy to read, well written, and I think pretty much hits the mark in my opinion.

Good work CT.

Guys, my A99 thus-far is showing just a bit better signals than my GM in most cases. I believe the A99 is much nosier however, so tomorrow I'll consider to put the GM back up on the mast I use to have my AstroPlane on. Then compare the two. If I see a reversal of the A99 showing better signals, then I'll truly be convinced that doing comparisons, using a switch box, is of little value at all...except maybe for comparing the finer nuances, like clarity of audio in performance. It may also indicate that my range of working heights, close to the house, is too low and maybe too small to be considered being well in the clear. My house is noted by me in the past to seemingly suck the life out of my antennas.

This is my second antenna to compare to my new Gain Master, and soon I'll start adding GP radials to the A99, first 4 x 72" horizontally, and then adding 3 x 102" whips slanted down, and finally removing the 4 horizontals. My previous work of this nature showed me improved signals with more radials added using two GPK hubs.

HomerBB here is a better depiction of the internals for the GM with critical dimensions that you might be interested in.

View attachment Gain Master circuit.pdf

Last edited:
First report for GM vs. A99

I replaced the GM with my A99 w/o GPK. I was a little suprised at the results even though I knew in the past my A99 worked really well compared to other bigger antennas. Those reports for the A99 that have the * beside the number were not counted in the totals, because I didn't capture similar signals with the GM.

I will add radials today hopefully.

View attachment Gain Master vs. A99 #4.pdf

Latest news from Simon re: the Gain Master

Simon the Wizard said:
Last News. Antenna is off air, emailed Sirio and one of the designers emailed me and could not believe there was another failure and asked me to send some more photos, that is done. I will send via DHL to them the inside of the antenna and let them have a look at it.
500w all antennas are tested at they told me. Well 2 of mine failed with lot less than 500w and I know now of 8 people in UK and other EU places that have suffered the same fate so we will wait and see.
Now, Venom 1/2 back in command of the skies

Last edited:
I have been tested 500 watt in ssb modes with klv 1000 amps
and it works well..But I think in FM mode with 500 watts the GM
can not handle the watts so well..It's a pity such good antenna,:sad:

Dxswe, I agree that using FM @ 500 watts is probably a bit too much. I can get my Swan Mark II down to less than 500 watts, but not by much and I've had no problems yet. I still feel uncomfortable when using my amp though.

I don't get the fixes that have been attempted however with the capacitor giving way while protecting the end of the stub. The burn seems to be an arc issue at the capacitor at a high voltage end of the top wire radiator.

The magnitude of the circulating current within the components of a parallel L-C circuit are at maximum when the circuit is at resonance.

The circulating currents get transferred back and forth between the inductive and capacitive reactance when it is equal or balanced at resonance.

Marconi explains most of the failures appear at the CAP end of the antenna, looks like failure of a component making the phase relationship between current and voltage out of phase ( non resonant) and placing majority of the current on the cap. as stated earlier if a bigger amperage rated or door knob type cap was installed it may be able to handle more wattage/current. Or maybe the inductor is heating up and changing values making the antenna off resonance.

Most antenna manufacturers rate there antennas at PEP watts,
500 watts PEP is a heck of a lot different that 500 watts FM carrier.

This capacitor is failing from the RF voltage causing it to flash over in an arc. Bob has the same basic Idea I had and I've already modified a VHF gamma match to replace the cap in mine. Unfortunately that will require some up and down testing to set the cap at the right value for resonance and I'm not doing that until it warms up. That is the only weak link I see preventing legal limit use. The Teflon coax should hold up fine and since the stub is ending in a short I don't think we will see arcing there.

I have been tested 500 watt in ssb modes with klv 1000 amps
and it works well..But I think in FM mode with 500 watts the GM
can not handle the watts so well..It's a pity such good antenna,:sad:

I agree DXswe, but I just read some recent talk form the Charlie Tango guys and they're getting up-tight about being asked questions it seems, so maybe I've overstayed my welcome. I think that may be why the first Gain Master thread was shut down too.

Reminds me of some of those guys on Mauldropper's that like to make claims, but not follow up questions, and that's too bad.

Last edited:
there is something strange going on with these antenna fires,
my buddy here is running a pair of 3-500g's @500w fm 27.751mhz into his gm tonight without problems so far, he tried it at 800w ssb earlier and no flames,
we told him about the failures so he wound it up to see if his can take 500w fm,
i am wondering if the failures are on 27mhz or have they been out of band using an atu.

my buddy here is running a pair of 3-500g's @500w fm 27.751mhz into his gm tonight without problems so far, he tried it at 800w ssb earlier and no flames,
we told him about the failures so he wound it up to see if his can take 500w fm,
i am wondering if the failures are on 27mhz or have they been out of band using an atu.

Bob I also put about 500 watts in a conversation on SSB with my Swan MarkII while the 2 x 3-500's were just coasting, and nothing bad happened.

Ask away Fella!!!......The UK Waving A Hand!!!!!

I agree DXswe, but I just read some recent talk form the Charlie Tango guys and they're getting up-tight about being asked questions it seems, so maybe I've overstayed my welcome. I think that may be why the first Gain Master thread was shut down too.

Reminds me of some of those guys on Mauldropper's that like to make claims, but not follow up questions, and that's too bad.

I for one don't have an issue with questions on the CT site......and I'm a very early member (N0 10 out of over 600). I think the first thread was shut down as it went off topic a little. As you see a second thread is going strong. As for power findings as I posted a day or so ago after Simon said his had let go . I have a good few Ham HF linears that can create over 1KW. But these are built in my Ham shack and at over 25KG way to heavy to take in my CB shack. I found out my Dads old 1980 CTE Galaxy 1KW CB/10 Meter Oldskool mains tube amp and with an Antenna Solutions digital Power meter with an alarm function preceded to crank the power up to the recomended FM rating.....I left it keyed for 5 minutes on and off and tried it all night.I had no issues with my SGM at all under these conditions. My model is a fairly early one that came direct from Sirio in Italy and has the nickle plated nipple on the end of the "Pigtail". So I guess we'll see what Sirio find. I am sure any problematic ones will be sorted quickly and FOC by Sirio as I do know they do listen to feedback and don't hide their heads in the sand. Again Marconi ,keep the tread going "Over The Fence" so to speak......I enjoy yours ,Scotts and others input.....This antenna has caused quite a stir for sure!!(y)

I tried mine "In band" with no ATU........I was thinking the same thing Mate , maybe Simon would tell you his "Conditions" if you asked him.To be honest I can't see him running a tuner. Most people I know use very modest power on UK CB on their SGMs and up until the other night I only run 80 Watts PEP on mine on 10 Meters Ham Band with the Magnum 257HP. I have not come across anyone I know of having issues with it around here. Also I have had no posts on the Youtube videos I posted of any failing neither. Not that that means anything. I'm sure the problem will be sorted quickly.

eddie/dave,
my mate cranked it up to 750w fm on his welz meter for a while last night and still no arcing,
theres something odd going on when a kl203 which at best will make about 130w is destroying an antenna that seems to be able to handle 500w fm and more on lower duty cycle modes,

hes had no problem with 100w from his icom pro2 or 200w from his 1000mp markv and so far no problem with over 500w fm or 800w ssb from his 3-500z's :confused:

nothing special was done when he assembled the gainmaster other than spending some time straightening the coax / wire so it pulled straight and pushing the stub straight down inside the tube with a rod.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.