• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Galaxy 959 Problem

Well it works like a champ talked for a few min on it. I will get to talk later tonight on it for a couple hours. Thats some quick turn around on getting it fixed. I wasn't even expecting it back this week and the mail lady pulled up. A++ for Galaxy!!

Reactions: 2 people
I sent Galaxy a email just asking if what Redman done to my CB had anything to do with what happened to it. They replied with a phone call just now letting me know that the part that went out very rarely ever goes out its just something that happened. I have to say Galaxy has good support on there products. He did tell me that they do warranty the radios that's been peaked and tuned also unless its just a total hack job as someone already stated earlier. I may post a pic of my setup later its not much but I'm proud of it. Redman told me that Dons CB shop was the best which is the place that Galaxy had me send it to.

Reactions: 1 person
1898035_462149963884456_1694912303_n.jpg

Galaxy DX959
Pyramid PSV-300 30Amp Power Supply
Cobra HH28 CB 40 Channel
Uniden BCD 396XT Digital Scanner

Reactions: 2 people
Looks great! Wish I had a setup like that. Unfortunately, I can't start on a base for 3-4 months(moving). Trying to decide on going for old tube or new radios like yours. What antenna do you have? How high up?

Glad its fixed but im wondering how they troubleshot Q60? Im guessing they tested every transistor in it first, then went in the audio circuit. Since its being used for a base you will get tired of picking up that stock hand mic, old school Silver eagles, Tup-9's wake up the audio on 959's.

Looks great! Wish I had a setup like that. Unfortunately, I can't start on a base for 3-4 months(moving). Trying to decide on going for old tube or new radios like yours. What antenna do you have? How high up?

I got a new Solarcon Antron-99 from solid signal. The tip of it is 38' in the air. I got it on a 21' stick of galvanized pipe. I will include a pic and a link to where I got it.
Solarcon A-99 17 Omni-Directional Fiberglass CB Base Station Antenna - 2000 Watts (A-99) from Solid Signal
$70.48 Shipped to your door. I got RG8U Foam and my ends from Universial Radio. Its good coax and less than 80cents a foot.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/coax.html I got coax #2248
1798639_462252910540828_87475783_n.jpg

Glad its fixed but im wondering how they troubleshot Q60? Im guessing they tested every transistor in it first, then went in the audio circuit. Since its being used for a base you will get tired of picking up that stock hand mic, old school Silver eagles, Tup-9's wake up the audio on 959's.

I have no Idea about the Q60. And yes I hate this stock mic. Its only about 2' long also. Makes it a pain.

I have no Idea about the Q60. And yes I hate this stock mic. Its only about 2' long also. Makes it a pain.

I'll second that on a desk mic. I using my 959 as a base setup and I use a Road Devil mic with the volume at halfway or less. The RD offers the most gain and clarity for the buck. By comparison the stock Galaxy hand mic sounds too bassy and a little in the muddy side. The 959 needs a good sounding mic to sound good. Also I got several other handmic's. It seems that the SRA-198 sounds best on my 959 however it attenuates the audio signal a whole lot. A lot of guys on this forum will steer you towards getting a Turner desk mic. Personally,I like to get a Shure SM58 studio mic as I already have a new Art Tube Amp 2 mic preamp. That and some XLR cables,some adaptation,a mic swing arm,pop filter,and I'll have a neat setup.

I was just reading up on your power supply as I'd like to get something a little more stout than my Pyramid PS14KX(run some goodies with 959). Did you just get your power supply? How does it perform?

Tips:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7154

New Pyramid PSV300 300 DC Power 30 Amp Switching DC Power Supply Fully Regulated | eBay
Thats where I got it from. I've got it about about 3 weeks ago and have been using it for over a week. The fan is loud and is wired to go on and off with the power switch. However in my pic you can see the button I added in the middle of the vent ribs to turn the fan on and off as I choose. I left my radio on all day yesterday and never used the fan. Its 30 Amp Supply way over rated for the 959 but I got it to add stuff later. I emailed Pyramid and they sent me the switch free of charge. I just broke the power wire with the switch of course. It seems to work flawless so far. Only real complaints I've seen from it is the loud fan and I took care of that.

I forgot to add. According to my volt meter it put out a continuous 12.65 volts not 13.8 as it states. I like how my radio mounted perfectly on top of it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.