• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base New Imax wont tune 11m....this sucks

Yes the Ringo is a fine vertical. Have one for 2 meters above my Yagi. About all my tired old rotor can take I think.
73’s
David

Like Mudfoot ( I believe said ) I've owned a few and never touched those " Rings" , I must admit I was afraid to, on 11m I go below 1 and above 40 and my SWR is no more than 1.3 . But I watched the vid 357 posted and I just inherited that scanner antenna pictured @ the beginning of the vid , I can't wait to hook it up and try it , I also believe that antenna is also for a Ham band to transmit ? I guess I have to do my research since I'm not a ham yet . 73 and God Bless , Leo

Always set up on saw horses first. Heck I have great SWR normally even when I set up an antenna on saw horses or the like. No Imax 2000 though. If you can not get a decent SWR on saw horses do not even bother to put it up something is wrong. I even had good SWR's setting up the old Radio Shack Archer Bow antenna for a friend with a push-up pole and guy wires even in the winter! Something ain't right!

Got rings just under 1/2 way.
1.28 at 27.990 on and 1.68 on CH19

not very happy with that.

LOL,there is NOTHING wrong with those SWR Readings. They put a RED area on an SWR Meter for a good reason & if the SWR is near or in that area it is BAD but an SWR of 2.1 will be unnoticed by anyone on the air. People stress over such a low SWR but performance wise it is so small nobody can see or hear the difference. Stress will KILL you. Do some research online & you will see you are killing yourself over nothing. You will not hurt any piece of equipment either so just talk on it & only you will know it is not PERFECT.

SIX-SHOOTER

LOL,there is NOTHING wrong with those SWR Readings. They put a RED area on an SWR Meter for a good reason & if the SWR is near or in that area it is BAD but an SWR of 2.1 will be unnoticed by anyone on the air. People stress over such a low SWR but performance wise it is so small nobody can see or hear the difference. Stress will KILL you. Do some research online & you will see you are killing yourself over nothing. You will not hurt any piece of equipment either so just talk on it & only you will know it is not PERFECT.

SIX-SHOOTER
I've never had an antenna that didn't tune under 1.5 and have a flat curve.
Anything near 2:1 is no good.
A car has a red line too. running near it is a sign of danger.

1.2 1.5 max is where I like to see my swr.
Antennas are rated to have a low swr.

2018019.jpg

I've never had an antenna that didn't tune under 1.5 and have a flat curve.
Anything near 2:1 is no good.
A car has a red line too. running near it is a sign of danger.

1.2 1.5 max is where I like to see my swr.
Antennas are rated to have a low swr.

View attachment 27614

Here is a Good Read & it contains some great information about Antenna SWR.

SIX-SHOOTER

I can't imagine the amount of frustration you are feeling these days.

I do have to say though, that the chances of finding three separate antennas that are all 'broken' in the same way seems pretty unlikely, but i do see a jump in posts about high SWR on IMAX antennas starting in 2016.

seems like a few of them have mentioned having to add 50-80 feet of coax to the run in order to get the SWR down. (obviously not the right way to go)

I am wondering if they changed the design any in the last few years (i know not likely)
and did something to make them work better with the GPK and now the antenna suffers when it's not used.

the IMAX design that we all know has to be kind of inefficient because it's so broadbanded.
so i am wondering if the antenna is more efficient now, but less broadbanded, and needs the GPK or some facsimile thereof in order to work properly.

i am also curious to know what all is in line when you are checking your SWR.

you are in a tough spot!

I will say that most of the time, when a problem just doesn't seem to be solvable, it turns out to be that one thing that you keep taking for granted as working properly is the actual culprit.

try taking a look at the things that have always been in place for your tests and question them.

good luck!
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
dsc00374_small_434.jpg

I bought my Imax new last summer. Had no issues with swr. I set the rings to the top portion of the 11m band (27.555.00) and tuned to a 1.1 flat @ 28mhz and still usable on the normal 40 chnls.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.