• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Powermax PM3 55 amp warranty beware...

snippits75

Nov 11, 2019
Bought a new Powermax PM3 55 amp 12 volt power supply. Powered up a small two pill amp and six amp max draw Lincoln 2 plus version 3 radio OK. Fan did not even run, and the supply just barely got warm.

I used headphones plugged into the external speaker of the radio. I don't use talk back much, but I did turn it on to check for noise, and the power supply was making a very loud hum with just the mic keyed. Plugged in an external speaker, and it was making the same loud humming noise. Absolutely zero noise with a Megawatt doing the same above.

Also, every time I keyed the mic the LED light on a Daiwa and MFJ watt meter would flicker, and then flicker again when I unkeyed the microphone. On SSB, the flickering caused a light show.

Anyway, I bought this from DonRowe.com, and the power supply was drop shipped from Powermax. I emailed DonRowe requesting RMA. The sales person from DonRowe got Errin from Powermax involved in the RMA process. Errin is VP Sales. Basically, we were having a three way email conversation.

Below is a copy and paste of what Errin VP of Sales says about Powermax warranty.

"Last time I checked our spec says it puts out 14V to charge batteries. Isis not doing that? I know these can be use on Ham/CB radio equipment BUT we dont guarantee that. Our spec shows an out put of 14V to charge batteries. So Id say its working to our spec. Now if someone wants to have a conversation about that we are open BUT I beleive our unit is working to spec"

--

Errin Tribble
VP Sales
574-349-0078
@PowerMaxPM3 (Twitter)

As soon as you flip switch to run the power supply as a converter, you have no warranty! This guy Errin can diagnose problems over the internet all the while ignoring what I said, and then declare product working as intended.

Seems like all the supply suppliers are shady when it comes to backing their failed products. Another company ill shy away from...

Huh, powermax seems to be in my neighborhood
Want me to pay him a visit?
Send me the unit and ill make sure he gets it back (y)

Screenshot_20200808-093504.png

I don't know why DonRowe.com, the seller, got a Powermax rep involved in the first place. Pretty sure though DonRowe wants the power supply shipped back to PowerMax all the while keeping me in the middle of their horse crap.

I requested RMA three times during the group email, and there at the end said I am not going to beg for a RMA. Even if I do get a RMA I think they will try to deduct a 20% restocking fee. I will have to pay to get it shipped back, but I knew that going in, so that's not a problem.

If I don't get RMA number, then I will have to get my bank involved because I see no other options.

Seems the seller is dodging his responsablity... get tough you have the right of a working product that can supply radio's as well.
Absolutely because that's what Powermax advertises. Id be on this errin character like white on rice...

And there should be no restocking fee since you dont restock defective items.
And NEVER BUY FROM THIRD PARTY SELLERS. Always buy direct from the company and their site and heres why:

Return and Refund Policy
PowerMax Converters – Returns and Refund Policies

• Return Policy – Customers ordering directly through our website can return goods within 14 days of purchase if they are unsatisfied with the product.
  • Refund Policy — Customers who purchased directly through our website can receive a refund within 10 business days, provided the products purchased are returned in full working order, undamaged and in their original packaging. Once the products are checked and deemed working the refund will be processed back to the same Credit Card used for the original purchase
  • Delivery Policy — All orders made through our website will be processed and shipped within 24 hrs or the next business day when placed after 3 pm Fri through Sunday. All orders are shipped via FedEx Ground unless otherwise specified
  • Cancellation Policy — Customers may cancel an order prior to items being processed and shipped. If the item has been shipped then they will need to follow the Return & Refund Policies as noted above

I used a couple of those before with amplifiers and they worked well. Never had a problem other than when they got close to their limits I could hear myself talking in them. In my case I pushed them a little hard so it was my fault. Eventually replaced them with megawatt supplies for the amps and an mfj dedicated to run the radios. I've also tried the Iota converters before and those you can push to their limits without a hitch but at a higher cost.

I asked Errin, Powermax VP Sales, to please not email me again during the group email because he was totally ignoring everything I was saying that was wrong about the power supply, and declaring there was nothing wrong with it because in his mind he can diagnose a faulty power supply over the internet.

Anyway, Errin emailed me again just to prove he could get the last laugh. Below is copy and paste of email. I had to block him, so now anything he says goes off into the spam folder!

"From: Errin Tribble <errin@powermaxconverters.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 7:21 PM
To: David <snippits75@gmail.com>

Haha

Sent from my iPhone"

Last edited:
They should stand behind their products if they are a business with any dignity....

If it fails to do what you say it should do, do what you can to rectify the situation is what was once the motto but few left that go by that standard

Don't know about warranty rules over there, here in the EU we have 2 year full warranty, the first 6 months if the product fails it is always the producers fault, you can ask your money back or a working product.
The other 18 months whatever fault, the producer has to repair it fit for purpose only if he can prove it is your gross fault that it failed he can get from under that with proof, just saying so is not enough.
Then you have the right to have the faulty product checked by an independent investigator and his/her findings are final for both party's.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that people are having no problems with Powermax power supplies. I was expecting to not have any problems either, but it seems Powermax customer service is a load of horse crap when there is a problem.

The VP of Sales disclosure of their warranty is really shocking to me. "I know these can be use on Ham/CB radio equipment BUT we dont guarantee that."

I did ask why there is a switch on the supply for converter use, but he just went round and round about power this and power that.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.