• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Victim! (project) Realistic Navaho TRC-457

I believe that has an 858 pll, @unit_399 has a wealth of information on the radios that use this chassis.

Mod for 5kc steps.

Last edited:
Install a frequency counter.

Trc 457, Trc 458 great rigs shine on SSB.
Mic gain VR is on the board.
Easy freq expansion, one of the best receivers out there for 11 meters..
do not try to squeak every last watt out of the radio, keep AM deadkey low so you do not stress the components.
tons of info on WWW
I think cobra 139XL is same board if you want mic gain control on a knob

progress1.jpg
Ok.. From left to right: Lo-pass audio filter on/off, Extra channels on/off, Extra channel bank selector knob, Freq counter with channel bank indicators below it, Modulation meter, Mic gain knob. There's also a 10-turn potentiometer in the clarifier circuit now.

The freq counter is not hooked up currently. It is causing noise in the audio amp at the moment. If I am unable to resolve this, I may end up converting the entire radio to negative chassis ground. Hopefully, I don't end up having to do that- It's quite an extensive mod and I'm trying to keep everything on this unit "reversible".

There is a specific tantalum capacitor to replace on that board. Better to get a higher voltage rated one as its already working near its limits. MikesRadioRepair has a video on the Cobra 138 XLR restoration tips, and has the one to replace. I took a screenshot for ya. Circled in red.
138 XLR 858 chassis tantalum cap replacement.jpgI used a good quality Vishay 2.2uf 50v cap. Though, others might be just fine. Polarity matters, so make sure it gets installed the right way. :)

Nevermind... Scratch that idea....... I see it isnt even there on your picture and a couple others online. My TRC-449 mobile and the TRC-458 have that tantalum cap in place. Hope that info helps someone else who have similar radios.

Nevermind... Scratch that idea....... I see it isnt even there on your picture and a couple others online. My TRC-449 mobile and the TRC-458 have that tantalum cap in place. Hope that info helps someone else who have similar radios.

There is a specific tantalum capacitor to replace on that board. Better to get a higher voltage rated one as its already working near its limits. MikesRadioRepair has a video on the Cobra 138 XLR restoration tips, and has the one to replace. I took a screenshot for ya. Circled in red.
View attachment 67335I used a good quality Vishay 2.2uf 50v cap. Though, others might be just fine. Polarity matters, so make sure it gets installed the right way. :)
Thank you very much for your share. I just bought an old TRC 457 last night for $50 and after cleaning on it for an hour that tantalum cap popped. Do you have any idea what would cause this. Just wondering if it will pop again when I replace it.thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: doffo
Thank you very much for your share. I just bought an old TRC 457 last night for $50 and after cleaning on it for an hour that tantalum cap popped. Do you have any idea what would cause this. Just wondering if it will pop again when I replace it.thanks
Was it while transmitting? I think that would of been the only time it would do it. It is already working near its limits from what I understand, so it probably called it quits and let go. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.