• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Here w/Some DX Questions....

Update

I've had a small cpu fan sitting here since I got the 980. I noticed when talking for a long length of time the final gets pretty warm to the touch. Not hot. I remember seeing a vid somewhere with snake radio showing a thermometer on different sections of the board and how warm it gets. The tweaker that I am decided that it was time. Took a hole saw and punched a whole in the case right above the final and installed the fan soldered to the power feeds coming in. No more heat. Talked for a while to south coast of France and it's stone cold now.Works great. Removed the speaker and mounted it in a McDonald's plastic cup stuffed with insulation and thew it on the desk. Spray painted it black would never know it. Too funny. I just know somebody's gonna love that! hint hint.....357. 73's

:w00t:

Now you got a Turbo on the uniden ! Haaa ! Who da' thought . If you have a high quality speaker hook that up on the desk , I learned that from Snake . I used a Boston Acoustic book shelf speaker that I had laying around now its a sweet to listen to that small radio lots of clarity .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Now you got a Turbo on the uniden ! Haaa ! Who da' thought . If you have a high quality speaker hook that up on the desk , I learned that from Snake . I used a Boston Acoustic book shelf speaker that I had laying around now its a sweet to listen to that small radio lots of clarity .

Luv it! I was trying to figure out how to get it plummed into the surround system I use here on the computer but unfortunately it's triggered thru the computer cable. I was thinking about bringing an old 1970's Pioneer amp upstairs and hooking up a couple of extra bookshelf speakers. Talk about boomin'. LMAO I love the way it sounds in the car with it hooked into the head unit. Somethings gotta be done! SOON!

Take a ride a got a nice set of 3 ' Technics if you drive here I'll give them to you . lol but I'm serious!!

Take a ride a got a nice set of 3 ' Technics if you drive here I'll give them to you . lol but I'm serious!!

You are too generous! I ran a recording studio here at the house for 15 years and still have all the stuff in the studio in the basement. I have more crap stuffed into this place and if I bring another thing in here my wife is going start throwing things out. ME being the first to go! BWAHAHA

Have you guys looked into changing some caps in your receive for better sounding audio. Makes the receive easier to listen to and the "HIFI" guys sound a lot better. I did it to my 148GTL and it made a world of difference when using good speakers.

Just plugging a good Boston Acoustic into mine made a huge difference , been thinking about trying one of the Bose off the surround sound but there's that wife thing . She would notice it missing .

Reactions: 1 person
Have you guys looked into changing some caps in your receive for better sounding audio. Makes the receive easier to listen to and the "HIFI" guys sound a lot better. I did it to my 148GTL and it made a world of difference when using good speakers.

Just plugging a good Boston Acoustic into mine made a huge difference , been thinking about trying one of the Bose off the surround sound but there's that wife thing . She would notice it missing .

Grinder, I noticed Snake Radio changes the caps. One of the first thing he does. I have no idea how to do that and would never attempt it. It's a little too deep for my pea brain to handle. LOL

357, now a Bose would be truly high end! I think I'll bring an amp and the reference monitors up from the studio today. I keep thinking about how nice it would be to listen to something that doesn't sound like a "tin can". I would love to get this clarifier unlocked but I know Snake is like 8-10 weeks backed up.:cry:

I know you have to amp it an probably an eq an mixing board but. Speaker would suffice .lol If you just want to unlock the clarifier there must be some one in your area that can do that ? Rutland ? Mt. Peculiar ? In don't think its a major deal but never done it . Now off I go to Google !

Grinder you see my new thread on my 2000 not sure of it . Talks like crazy Scandinavia , Blue waffle said I sound like a local , the speakers on this 2000 stink .

Snake Radios, from all I've read he is not a "tech" just someone like me that reads stuff from the net. I don't think he has a scope or spec analyzer...

From what I understand unlocking the 980 is not like the other cb's. Little more to it and more than I would ever attempt.

Got Italy today and Arkansas. I hit Texas and others west easily in the car heading south towards Bennington. So, I know it can be done from home so just gotta put up a beam. Was chatting with a guy from Europe running a 3 element Yagi. That thing kicked butt. Over the top of everybody running minimum wattage.

73's

Hobbie you do understand that putting up a beam does NOT guarantee working DX right? It's all up to mother nature. I do all my DX work with wires hanging in the tree. I know it's different bands but radio is radio and the difference between 11 and 10 meters is slightly more than 1 mhz. All I am saying is don't put all your hope into a beam as you might be disappointed.

Was chatting with a guy from Europe running a 3 element Yagi. That thing kicked butt. Over the top of everybody running minimum wattage.73's

Band conditions were good and he probably would have been strong no matter what he was running. Last weekend I worked a station in Crete who said I was 20 over S9. Again 100 watts to a wire, its all conditions!

A beam will help but don't believe it will be everything.

Here is a thought, build yourself a dipole. It wont cost you more than $30 bucks. Hang it on a tree in an Inverted V format and try that for a while. I have a feeling you will be surprised in where you work.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.