• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Here w/Some DX Questions....

3/13 is my birthday, i could use another 2000!
I tried some more when I got the notification. Got Dirty Old Man in Wash st on 27.475 LSB. Heard Russia but can't remember freq.

Reactions: 1 person
My 2000 is done just the way I want it all the bells an whistles but Russia ? I been doing this over 40 yrs an NEVER heard them . Years ago I was told you could you could get shot on site if you got caught talking on a radio in some country's in Europe . Talk about a way to screw up your day .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

My 2000 is done just the way I want it all the bells an whistles but Russia ? I been doing this over 40 yrs an NEVER heard them . Years ago I was told you could you could get shot on site if you got caught talking on a radio in some country's in Europe . Talk about a way to screw up your day .

Looks like those days are coming back if Putin has anything to say about it.:eek:

I keep trying to get to Russia - specifically St. Petersburg where I know there is a school that has a lot of vintage Russian-made radio gear in it (I've seen it- used to teach English in the next classroom over)- unfortunately everytime I call DX for Russia, France, England and Scotland keep getting in the way.

Gonna have to get a beam and just shoot over the North Pole instead of trying to go from West to East!

FYI, sometimes you can hear Russian taxi drivers on 28.400 or so- they all use FM mode

I am curious. I didn't think there was supposed to be a carrier on ssb. Correct?

The 11 meter band aka CB band is used almost World wide and can be full of operators in all modes of operation. Usually channels 37 through 40 plus channel 16 (old) are considered reserved for SSB use. But that went out the door years ago. So you will hear carriers on the channels, operators in AM mode.
Sometimes if you tune the carifier a bit off you can reduce this. Best way is to use a directional antenna or beam. This way you focus you receive and transmit mainly in one direction. This can be tough as a beam is more complex and costly plus you would need a rotator to turn the beam.
Look out for an old Super Scanner antenna by Avante, no longer made but worked well enough with no need for a rotator. My first beam was turned by hand using a pipe wrench! :D

73 Mechanic

The 11 meter band aka CB band is used almost World wide and can be full of operators in all modes of operation. Usually channels 37 through 40 plus channel 16 (old) are considered reserved for SSB use. But that went out the door years ago. So you will hear carriers on the channels, operators in AM mode.
Sometimes if you tune the carifier a bit off you can reduce this. Best way is to use a directional antenna or beam. This way you focus you receive and transmit mainly in one direction. This can be tough as a beam is more complex and costly plus you would need a rotator to turn the beam.
Look out for an old Super Scanner antenna by Avante, no longer made but worked well enough with no need for a rotator. My first beam was turned by hand using a pipe wrench! :D

73 Mechanic

That's too funny! I was thinking about drilling the bottom of the mast and welding in a handle using 1/4 inch steel rod to use as a handle to rotate the antenna with. (y)

BTW new radio coming today according to USPS tracking , hope it gets here in one PC . Can't wait to fire the Sucka' Up !

Hobie NO holes in the ceiling !!! Ioi

BTW new radio coming today according to USPS tracking , hope it gets here in one PC . Can't wait to fire the Sucka' Up !

I swear, the wife is gonna end up killin' me! Good thing she's not reading all this stuff.

So what radio are you getting? MMMMMM.... new toy! Post pics and let us know how it goes!(y)

Thought you knew I bought a Tricked out Cobra 2000 that does every thing but the laundry , my wife been putting up with this for 39yrs can't complain she bought me the radio but the only reason she wants me on the roof is to clean the gutters . Go figure !

Post pics? Heck I'm still trying to figure out this tablet , I'm not a member of the IPhone generation you know . lol

Thought you knew I bought a Tricked out Cobra 2000 that does every thing but the laundry , my wife been putting up with this for 39yrs can't complain she bought me the radio but the only reason she wants me on the roof is to clean the gutters . Go figure !

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Oh yea, I remember now! At least you have the wife for the laundry thing! Please understand, I'm senile at 49 years old. Please forgive me if I ask the same question twice as I don't remember anything from 5 minutes ago.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.