• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Here w/Some DX Questions....

My sediments exactly , I myself think I'll purchase one an fine tune but you guys spend more time on a wire than the flying Wallenda's not sure how you spell their last name but you get the point . I told Hobie before one thing Vermont has is plenty of tree's to stretch it across .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Last weekend I worked a station in Crete who said I was 20 over S9. Again 100 watts to a wire, its all conditions!

:blink:

That's just awesome.

Here is a thought, build yourself a dipole. It wont cost you more than $30 bucks. Hang it on a tree in an Inverted V format and try that for a while. I have a feeling you will be surprised in where you work.

I'm thinking it's time for me to try this until I mount the A-99. Gotta move my station to the house for the summer, it's going to be too hot to sit in the truck.

Hobbie you do understand that putting up a beam does NOT guarantee working DX right? It's all up to mother nature. I do all my DX work with wires hanging in the tree. I know it's different bands but radio is radio and the difference between 11 and 10 meters is slightly more than 1 mhz. All I am saying is don't put all your hope into a beam as you might be disappointed.

Band conditions were good and he probably would have been strong no matter what he was running. Last weekend I worked a station in Crete who said I was 20 over S9. Again 100 watts to a wire, its all conditions!

A beam will help but don't believe it will be everything.

Here is a thought, build yourself a dipole. It wont cost you more than $30 bucks. Hang it on a tree in an Inverted V format and try that for a while. I have a feeling you will be surprised in where you work.

DUH! I do understand that it is mostly the atmospheric conditions! But, I do know that you can take a piece of crap radio and put it on the right antenna and it will smoke a radio costing 100x more connected to a poorly matched piece of crap antenna.

I never said a beam would be everything. did I? I think I'm doing damn good considering where I live, barefoot with a cheeseball 20 dollar whip and a crappy $120.00 box of pretty lights, bells and whistles. Hate to break the news to you but the folks I've talked to using a beam 1. when the going gets tough, they stand a better chance! 2. When your competing with the big station d-bags running 300 whiskeys, it's a beautiful thing to turn the antenna, lessen their impact and direct the energy where you want it to go. Pretty clear choice to me; Beam it is! Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out!

I can build a Moxon for far less than $30.00 bucks and it would smoke a dipole any day.

DUH! I do understand that it is mostly the atmospheric conditions! But, I do know that you can take a piece of crap radio and put it on the right antenna and it will smoke a radio costing 100x more connected to a poorly matched piece of crap antenna.

I never said a beam would be everything. did I? I think I'm doing damn good considering where I live, barefoot with a cheeseball 20 dollar whip and a crappy $120.00 box of pretty lights, bells and whistles. Hate to break the news to you but the folks I've talked to using a beam 1. when the going gets tough, they stand a better chance! 2. When your competing with the big station d-bags running 300 whiskeys, it's a beautiful thing to turn the antenna, lessen their impact and direct the energy where you want it to go. Pretty clear choice to me; Beam it is! Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out!

I can build a Moxon for far less than $30.00 bucks and it would smoke a dipole any day.
Wow sorry dude didn't mean to hit that nerve.

I was just going off your statement of how the guy was "rocking" the 3 element yagi and all I was pointing out was it was mostly the conditions and not the antenna.

Yes the MOXON should work better than a Dipole but I bet to a DX station under good conditions someone running a dipole and someone running a Moxon will be nearly the same signal strength.

Anyway sorry if I upset you... good luck in your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 person
Well Hobie the 2000 other than a few issues is a talker , I let the dog I out this am turned on the radio talked to England an realized I was bare foot which means if the adjustable output effects ssb I had it set on 3 watts to drive my amp . Does the adjustable power effect your ssb signal ? After all these years doing this never had it so never thought about it . So in any case if I talked that far on 3 watts that some good conditions .

Here we go AGAIN I googled it which I should of done in the first place , adjustable power does not effect ssb output . Guess I should have done my home work well at least I know I don't have to turn that knob once I set it . Hey I'm still learning even at my age !

Well Hobie the 2000 other than a few issues is a talker , I let the dog I out this am turned on the radio talked to England an realized I was bare foot which means if the adjustable output effects ssb I had it set on 3 watts to drive my amp . Does the adjustable power effect your ssb signal ? After all these years doing this never had it so never thought about it . So in any case if I talked that far on 3 watts that some good conditions .

Holy crappola that's incredible! I couldn't begin to answer that question as on AM I'm deadkeyed at 2 watts swinging to 5 on a long Audio and on ssb, no carrier swinging to about 18-19 with a slight bump on the #203 pot ssb alc in the radio. Normal speech is down around 12-13. I have no adjustable power except for the mic gain adjustment. I just leave it pegged. I am curious, my SWR's (mobile and base) are never above 1.03 (external meter and the 980) and I wonder if that makes a difference having all the energy going out with very little coming back into the radio living in this 3000+ foot ditch.

That setup you have is a smoker for sure! Keep posting on the thread you started and share status updates. What is your antenna and swr's? I will look at the thread again in case you answered that in another post.

It's already snowing heavy here and about all I hear is static coming in so I'm sure this will be a quiet couple of days.

Congrats my friend! (y)

Here we go AGAIN I googled it which I should of done in the first place , adjustable power does not effect ssb output . Guess I should have done my home work well at least I know I don't have to turn that knob once I set it . Hey I'm still learning even at my age !

I tend to think outside the box 357. I did not even question that you pegged the UK on 3 watts as I always believe anything is possible with the right conditions. What you found does makes more sense based upon what "we think" is believable. However, laws are made to be broken and when it comes to nature and things beyond our control, quite often those "laws" get smashed! Consistently!

I did answer my post it doesn't effect our power on ssb . My match on my Anton. 99is almost flat according to my Dozy meter an reads a little higher on the one on the 2000 I think the Dozy would be more accurate than the factory meter . An Yes as we both live in New England I was just watching the weather my first thought was Hobie's not out working on that moxon today he's getting Snowed in ! PS I think the meter is spelled Dorsey but I'm not going back to correct all the misspelled words .lol

Wow sorry dude didn't mean to hit that nerve.

I was just going off your statement of how the guy was "rocking" the 3 element yagi and all I was pointing out was it was mostly the conditions and not the antenna.

Yes the MOXON should work better than a Dipole but I bet to a DX station under good conditions someone running a dipole and someone running a Moxon will be nearly the same signal strength.

Anyway sorry if I upset you... good luck in your endeavors.

No harm done. It came across as condescending and realize that was not your intentions. I am the type of person that analyzes everything and then moves forward in one direction after establishing exactly what it is I want to accomplish. Strong INFJ personality type (Myers Briggs MBTI). It's just how I am. 73's my friend!

305portable , is he in Florida ? If so I have talked to him a few times.

Yes, I believe Miami. He has a really good station. Don't know how much power he's running but he tears my face of when he cq's.

I hear you all the time 357 and I catch tons of people coming back to you. Probably the ones you can't hear in the pileup.

I'm running an ancient Alinco DX-70 and a 102" whip. I have an even older m400 Davemade but I rarely turn it on unless I am trying to catch someone in a really far away place I've never heard before because it causes massive pileups. Normally I'm swinging 100 but will go far lower when conditions are good.

The magic I believe I have working for me is my whip laying down at nearly a 45 degree angle while I'm blowing down the highway at 70mph and the large area I travel around all day, which includes some pretty tall bridges I use to my advantage. The only thing that I don't like is that the contacts are usually very short. One minute I'm catching 169 in Wisconsin, the next, 44 in NY, three minutes of Spanish from South America and next up, Canada or Europe....! Even the mighty blue waffle only gets in my ears sporadically at best.

Have any of you got "The Purple Pancake"? Louisiana or Alabama I think??? Got him last weekend. Another old timer it sounded like and a real character,. Not as whacky as "the old man in the rocking chair" though. I haven't heard him again. ND88, you should be able to get him. He was boomin in up in Rutland when I was shopping last weekend. Still have yet to get 217 Kansas City MO. Anybody here get him? One of the best sounding stations I've heard. Love to know what he's running. He's on everyday and really strong here. He has a great tonal quality. Great sounding articulation (perfect high end clarity). Not too much bottom end (boomy). Just really well rounded great sounding audio.

I was sitting at the 'puter last night around 8:30 listening and heard a little Nicaragua coming in. He was speaking english and thought that was cool. My antenna system is covered in ice so I was surprised I heard anything.

What's up 305, a wave from up north of you from Daytona beach. 222 waving a hand. Been hearing til get your name called and I have heard you once or twice as well. Anyway just wanted to give a friendly wave from another Floridian.

First but not least , Hobie get your wife's blow dryer an head for the Roof ! 305 portable you come in to RI like a local you have Great sounding station . I figured one thing ( I think) I'm sick an tired of the comments from talking local every one I talk to local says I sound crackly , one guy just doesn't like d104's says he can hear when I take a breath the other says I'm scratchy this is while I'm chasing him around because he's drifting off frequency . I finally told him yesterday keep his screw driver out of his radio . This is with running my amp or not . Everything on my end checks out fine , I listen to myself via talk back an it sounds fine to me . In fact while checking my radio out yesterday on 20 am some guy came back from Alabama an said it was one of the best 2000's he ever heard ( I was bare foot ) . It makes me kind of frustrated but who cares I don't care about talking local . Pheeew ... that took me a long time to type with one finger ! lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.