• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No more free ham ticket?

I wonder how many of the people that think $50 is too much smoke or buy a coffee every day and think nothing of it.
Apples and onions. I put my shack together on the perverble shoestring. I enjoy the hobby greatly and think that this increase will impact the number of new hams. This is just another fleecing. Whats next? Arrl membership down so they raise the subscription to $75 a year? Its bad enough that one has to have a subscription to arrl and then have to pay $23 for a dcxx cert. Maybe the fcc can charge an extra fee for band endorsements. Yeah,, $20 for 80m, $60 for 160m? Follow the lead for a hunting license with a bear stamp, doe stamp, turkey stamp, duck stamp , muzzle loader stamp, archery stamp ? My opinion. Just another fleecing.

Arrl membership down so they raise the subscription to $75 a year?
Their high prices is why I don't join anymore. Too much money for what? Qst magazine? Its a book of ads. Worthless. Once you pay 50 to join arrl, then another 50 for qrz, just so you can have pretty awards beside your call? Now 50 for license?? To be fair, they should charge all current hams another $40 so they can catch up.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Apples and onions. I put my shack together on the perverble shoestring. I enjoy the hobby greatly and think that this increase will impact the number of new hams. This is just another fleecing. Whats next? Arrl membership down so they raise the subscription to $75 a year? Its bad enough that one has to have a subscription to arrl and then have to pay $23 for a dcxx cert. Maybe the fcc can charge an extra fee for band endorsements. Yeah,, $20 for 80m, $60 for 160m? Follow the lead for a hunting license with a bear stamp, doe stamp, turkey stamp, duck stamp , muzzle loader stamp, archery stamp ? My opinion. Just another fleecing.
i was cruisin other forums n be dammed the people at radio refernce think its absolutely great to pay out money.
Your right its a tax,tax everything they can,suppose they cant figure how to tax prostitutes so in 49 states its illegal?

Seriously?? If $50 bucks for ten years keeps someone out of a hobby then they never really wanted to be in that hobby in the first place. What do you pay for a driver's license and how long is it good for? Does it keep you or anybody else from driving? What about any other permits required? Hunting? Fishing? As for my comparison about the coffee or smoking it IS comparable. If you want something you will pay a pittance for it. Over time that pittance adds up considerably (coffee and smokes) yet nobody seems to bat an eye and yet they scream about $50 for ten years of enjoyment.

Seriously?? If $50 bucks for ten years keeps someone out of a hobby then they never really wanted to be in that hobby in the first place. What do you pay for a driver's license and how long is it good for? Does it keep you or anybody else from driving? What about any other permits required? Hunting? Fishing? As for my comparison about the coffee or smoking it IS comparable. If you want something you will pay a pittance for it. Over time that pittance adds up considerably (coffee and smokes) yet nobody seems to bat an eye and yet they scream about $50 for ten years of enjoyment.
since my wife had her accident,we are trimming things close,damm close insurance pays some im payin rest n its killing us. My retirement isnt nuff to pay her trouble n my needs. Im woring part time to keep us afloat. But fees are becoming too much lately after her acvident.wasnt my choice but it is how it is.

I can see your point as far as it being a bargain for 10 years of enjoying our hobby. I use my rig everyday. But its the upfront cost, $50 for the fcc, $15 for the testing . How many non active hams are there ? I know $65 bucks won't send me to the poor house . TODAY. What about 10 years from now? The youth that we need to populate the bands are starting out in life and don't need the added expense for a hobby they may or may not stay with. As an old timer on a fixed income, will I be able to afford in 10 years? Another way to fleece the people is the way I see it.

Reactions: Rwb
since my wife had her accident,we are trimming things close,damm close insurance pays some im payin rest n its killing us. My retirement isnt nuff to pay her trouble n my needs. Im woring part time to keep us afloat. But fees are becoming too much lately after her acvident.wasnt my choice but it is how it is.

Take an old jar. Once a month drop two quarters in it. By the time you need to renew that license in ten years you will have MORE than enough money to cover it. Beats shelling out $50 in one pop. I do that for things I want to do or buy. I actually have a regular savings account and a virtual account where every payday I put a fixed amount into if I can. I can move money out of it back into my regular account if something comes up since it is not linked to my debit card. I did that on purpose as it forces me to move the money in order to spend it. I cannot spend it directly from that account at all.This gives me a chance to think if I REALLY want to spend it or not. I have been off work since April 8 this year due to disability and will not return until the new year. Next Thursday I am having a total knee replacement. I have not put anything into it since being off however I had enough in it to cover the purchase of a new 28 cu. ft fridge. Actually half of it. The wife paid the other half. Same as for the four tons of wood pellets I ordered yesterday. The wife and I split major purchases like that. It also allowed me to purchase two handguns to have some fun with. EVERYBODY needs some fun. I still have a bit left in it. I realize my exact situation is different than yours but my point is to stretch the pain out over time so that it is actually painless when the time comes.

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
Take an old jar. Once a month drop two quarters in it. By the time you need to renew that license in ten years you will have MORE than enough money to cover it. Beats shelling out $50 in one pop. I do that for things I want to do or buy. I actually have a regular savings account and a virtual account where every payday I put a fixed amount into if I can. I can move money out of it back into my regular account if something comes up since it is not linked to my debit card. I did that on purpose as it forces me to move the money in order to spend it. I cannot spend it directly from that account at all.This gives me a chance to think if I REALLY want to spend it or not. I have been off work since April 8 this year due to disability and will not return until the new year. Next Thursday I am having a total knee replacement. I have not put anything into it since being off however I had enough in it to cover the purchase of a new 28 cu. ft fridge. Actually half of it. The wife paid the other half. Same as for the four tons of wood pellets I ordered yesterday. The wife and I split major purchases like that. It also allowed me to purchase two handguns to have some fun with. EVERYBODY needs some fun. I still have a bit left in it. I realize my exact situation is different than yours but my point is to stretch the pain out over time so that it is actually painless when the time comes.
I did something like that. When I was working I saved $5 bills. Whenever I got one I put it away. Didn't count it or looked at it for well over a year. Maybe 2 years. Well, visiting the local gun shop they had Socom 16 up on the rack. I went home and counted it up. $1200. I dont any longer have any $5 bills but I do have a sweet 308.

i just got hit with a bill today out of sky blue no warning $100 . Pay immedietly. Sadly i lay money back n itts like a damm demon sees what i got n screws me out of it

Reactions: old goat 321
I can see your point as far as it being a bargain for 10 years of enjoying our hobby. I use my rig everyday. But its the upfront cost, $50 for the fcc, $15 for the testing . How many non active hams are there ? I know $65 bucks won't send me to the poor house . TODAY. What about 10 years from now? The youth that we need to populate the bands are starting out in life and don't need the added expense for a hobby they may or may not stay with. As an old timer on a fixed income, will I be able to afford in 10 years? Another way to fleece the people is the way I see it.
if they had asked $15-20. Miight not been so bad.kids that still earn money wanting to be a ham will be strained as mowing yards n such buy a first radio sadly a cheep baofeng for $45 + 50 +15 = $110. So kid says piss on it discouraged.
Not a good way to open doors for our youth to get into ham.
Hell in missouri a kid takes a hunters safety course for donation they give them free hunting and fishing license till they turn 21. Too bad fcc isnt reading this.
I can dig up 50 bucks,whats omitted though? But look they ask 50 now,whos to say nope but they might just pop off next year n double n then double the next year? Its govt n that smells tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
if they had asked $15-20. Miight not been so bad.kids that still earn money wanting to be a ham will be strained as mowing yards n such buy a first radio sadly a cheep baofeng for $45 + 50 +15 = $110. So kid says piss on it discouraged.
Not a good way to open doors for our youth to get into ham.
Hell in missouri a kid takes a hunters safety course for donation they give them free hunting and fidhing license till they turn 21. Too bad fcc isnt reading this.
I can dig up 50 bucks,whats omitted though? But look they ak 50 now,whos to say nope but they might just pop off next year n double n then double the next year? Its govt n that smells tax.
Like Will Roger's said."be happy your only getting half the government you pay for". Thats the problem with price increases. Once is never enough for burocracy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated