• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OK All U Beam Antenna Freaks.....

Had one before years ago , tooth me a wile to get it right because that thing had a whole lot going on . That was back in the 80's back then I had non amp an still talked all over the world . It was a great antenna back then but the along came a hurricane , enough said . I figured you would do the research an see what one looked like ! lol

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

i dipole is not a beam, it can be the driven element of a beam but without a reflector and/or a director its not a beam. you will see no gain over what you are using now.

Reactions: 1 person
i dipole is not a beam, it can be the driven element of a beam but without a reflector and/or a director its not a beam. you will see no gain over what you are using now.
A dipole at optimum height can produce 8-8.5 dBi.

Wow, lots to digest! I'm still leaning toward the moxon as it's cheap and effective. The issue I currently have is where to put it and how long of a run I can make on lets say, lr400 coax. I'd like to get it up on the bank on a 30 foot mast but that would be a long run. Probably about 80-90 feet of coax. Any suggestions?

Update, cruising around Rutland VT this afternoon and got Texas pretty good. Farthest west so far. Alabama couldn't believe I was running barefoot as I was 20-30 db's coming in. Blowing his doors in. Said I may have gotten a mongrel BC 980. I got to thinking about it and it has been putting out high wattage from the start. 2 watt deadkey AM swinging to 5 and 10-12 ssb right out of the box. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something up with this radio. I've got multiple stations from the south to Europe that said the same thing. I use the Sirio Turbo 5000 on the CC with 12 feet of RG8X. I think the mic may have something to do with it as well; Ranger 198 Noise Cancelling with the gain maxed out. I have nothing to compare it to as I'm new to this. But, I can say this is one hell of a radio for $130.00. Spot on frequency and kicks butt right outta the box.Maybe this one was a mistake. Who knows......Smok'em if ya got'em!

Wow, lots to digest! I'm still leaning toward the moxon as it's cheap and effective. The issue I currently have is where to put it and how long of a run I can make on lets say, lr400 coax. I'd like to get it up on the bank on a 30 foot mast but that would be a long run. Probably about 80-90 feet of coax. Any suggestions?
80-90' is no problem for LMR400 cable. I'd do the Moxon, I've always been intriqued by that little antenna but never built one after I put the quad up.

80-90' is no problem for LMR400 cable. I'd do the Moxon, I've always been intriqued by that little antenna but never built one after I put the quad up.

Great, thanks! Every time I try to come up with a better option I am sill led back to the Moxon for a variety of reasons. I believe after today, getting out to the west pretty easily from the car that it is going to be difficult no matter what from the house. Rutland sits up and you get a clear shot of the western horizon. Piece of cake. That stupid little radio was still kickin' butt even in the middle of powerline hell sitting in a parking lot. The noise and static was so bad I almost couldn't stand it. The stuff coming in was a little scratchy but going out was no problem. Still smokin'em!:eek:

I've been through Rutland many times, I used to have a customer in Burlington. In fact, isn't there a Denny's right south as you head out of town? I've eaten there several times as well, lol.

That's the one , I figure running it flat will be better for DX than my Anton 99 which I don,'t have a problem with dxing just thought I might try it because it says it good for DX . It's just a thought an cheap

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

polarization doesnt matter for dx, the only advantage you would have is ground gain being horizontal. polarization matter's a great deal for ground wave, so if your talking local and your horizontal and the other party is vertical you will see around a 20db loss or just over 3s unit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated