• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old D-104 Base Mic help

Florida Starduster

Dec 26, 2023
I have an old D-104 that no longer works. It will only throw a dead carrier. Has anyone come out with a good replacement for the head element?
Terry

Several things can go wrong. You need to confirm that the element in the head has in fact failed. Could be something else.

I have a D104 that the crystal element quit working once. I had taken the microphone apart and then couldn't get back to it for about a week. Then just goofing around, I put it back together and tried it. Wouldn't you know, the darn thing worked.

I think I know what fixed it.
When I had it apart, I had inadvertently laid the element face down on the diaphragm. This apparently caused the wax that connects the diaphragm to the armature to stick back together. This was several years ago and it still works.

It might be worth a shot.

Reactions: walterjn
I have a D104 that the crystal element quit working once. I had taken the microphone apart and then couldn't get back to it for about a week. Then just goofing around, I put it back together and tried it. Wouldn't you know, the darn thing worked.

I think I know what fixed it.
When I had it apart, I had inadvertently laid the element face down on the diaphragm. This apparently caused the wax that connects the diaphragm to the armature to stick back together. This was several years ago and it still works.

It might be worth a shot.
Not much to loose right? Thanks for the suggestion.

I have taped lightly on the elements before and got them to start working, I like the electret condenser elements but they don't match the warmth of the old element.
Also I recommend cleaning the leaf switch with a burnishing tool, and if the mic has a lazy bar and a chicken choker I add a small piece of 1/8" thick wool felt glued under the leaf switch to keep the lazy bar from bending the switch to far.

I like to use solvent on a thin piece of cardboard like a match cover to clean the contacts, nothing abrasive.
And sometimes warming the element with the wife's hair dryer will bring them back to life.
Sometimes.

Jeff
I'll try your suggestions too. That is as soon as my antenna gets here. Thanks!

Odds are the element in the head will have "MC320" printed on the back. This is the crystal element, the hottest one they made. At the center of the aluminum diaphragm is a hole with a tiny brass piece protruding. A glob of black wax secures the diaphragm to this tiny post. This is what carries the diaphragm's up-and-down motion from sound waves into the element beneath.

The wax can become brittle. If so, a magnifier and a bright light will reveal a tiny crack in the wax surrounding the center. Making the wax melt "just enough" to bridge this gap will help, when this happens.

What seems to happen more often is inside, where you can't get to it. The piezo element is secured to the bottom of the plastic cup with glue, on two tiny blocks of rubber. When that glue gives way, the element just jiggles up and down in the air. When it's glued down, the diaphragm motion causes the element to flex along its diagonal axis. When the glue lets go, this motion stops.

Isn't there a more recent element that can be substituted? I seem to recall a thread here within the last few months that discussed subbing in a more modern element. Of course, it wouldn't have the exact same D-104 sound, but if the existing element isn't fixable then it's a viable alternative.
As mentioned above, you first want to be 100% sure it IS the element, and not a switch, amp board, plug or wiring issue....
Oh, and check the battery connector if it has a 9volt type battery. The wires can break inside the clip.....

Here is the head. There is a crack in the black wax.

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_074120.jpg
    IMG_20240105_074120.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240105_074104.jpg
    IMG_20240105_074104.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 17
I have had luck hitting the wax with hot air, assuming the rock is still attached to the back wall. When the foil gets bent, distorted, it puts an odd or uneven tension on the rock ?yoke? inside and reheating the wax can reset its hold between the diaphragm and shaft. Sorry, I can't recall the correct terminology for these parts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.