• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OUTRAGEOUS!

Does This Really Happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
frmboybuck said:
Everyone forgets that Butcher said the radio sounds great. Thats what matters. Paws, you ever had Justin work on one of your radios?? Didnt think so. I like to hear from one of Justins customers that were not satisfied with the finished product...It will be hard to find one. Yea, Switch you better hope they dont start acting like 1 stop over here.....You may have to find a new home if they do :LOL:

Could well be fbb ....I've said is before and I'll say it again ....it's all about attitude my Forum friend.
Bash the tech ? ......You have got to be kidding me !!
I suppose like 1 Stop , If I can't express myself on this forum the way I feel fit in what I would hope to be within reason ,well then,I would guess to say I shouldn't be very long for this one then ? ...as I said before , my hand writting is along these same forum walls ,if one doesn't understand where IM coming from or takes me the wrong way ,that's not my problem.....Im not a band waggoneer , nor do I work for a ad agency when it comes to others ,that's not going to happen very soon ,fair attitudes get fair attitudes in return. There's some very knowledgeable folks around these parts and some very Large Ego's to go with them ,I see them clash all the time along with the smart a$$ remarks on the side when two can not agree , .....such is life. The post above mine is attitude ,it either changes or it doesn't ? Attitude has nothing to do with work done by others ,it has to do with a persons charector or charector defects there after. Peace

JustinDePolis said:
Well it takes all kinds, I guess. Some people try to stir the pot, and other people are just plain nuts. This guy I *THINK* is some where between.

Justin, which "Guy" are you talking about?

I know that he's not talking about me because WE agreed (in his section) that this was dead.

Well it sure seems something is dead around here.....I understand where you are coming from Switch Kit....I was just busting your balls. Mole....You couldnt be more right in your post. Everything you wrote brought a smile to my face. Im not jumping on the bandwagon either....Justin has proven himself to me with the work he has done for me. With that said....Sure it can die

Lazybones1222 said:
Well.....try typing in real sentences Switch Kit.

IM impressed Lazy-B !! after all these years your still trying to figure out what IM writting or trying to say. Keep up the good work dude you might just figure it out one of these days ? but after years of reading my posts IM beginning to wonder ? Good Luck to you. Switch Kit

not looking to bust anyones chops here, just FYI.

surely you can find someone to do the work on a magnum radio who can adjust it without having to remove the top gun modulator, if that's what you're looking for. they're never removed here. on the S3 for example, at full power the carrier is 14 watts and with the TGM off pep is approximately +/- 42W. with TGM operating carrier remains the same and pep is approximately +/- 56W. the entire down range of the rf power control is suitable for use with external amplifiers and carrier with the rf power control fully counter-clockwise is roughly 1.25W. from there we see about 16 - 20W PEP with TGM off and 36 - 40W PEP with TGM activated.

all pep readings are with maximum mic gain control settings. with this combination of range and flexibility the radio can be used with small 2 transistor amplifiers and even the largest 4 transistor models and still provide the necessary input levels required to properly drive or excite them. hell, it will produce enough output on am to drive a tsdx1600.

Wow, I can't believe I just found this thread. Go get em Paws. There are alot of hack shops in the mid-west I have found out that are yanking the Top Gun and Compressor and telling the customer, " this really open these Magnums up". Then they turn right around and sell the stuff as a super-mod-kit for like 60 bucks.
This is why I was shocked to find out Justin was doing this as a matter of practice. Here is what I know and then I'm done posting here and will just read.
1) I still say Justin is a very qualified Tech, I just think he is wrong in what he does to Magnum radio's.
2) Yes the S3 sounded great, after one night of use I posted this at CE.
3) The S3 was Benched into a dummy load and a Bird 43P and did 40 watts AM.
4) After 10 days of use and side by side on air tests the opinion of 8-10 locals was my NPC Delta Force was in fact alittle louder. The S3 was very smooth but was lacking punch.
5) Would I send a 2950 to Justin for an alignment, sure. Would he want to work on it? I don't know. I hold no grudges.
6) I still want to try a newer Magnum radio thats complete. The recieve on them is very nice and much quieter then my Delta.
7) I also now want to try a Uniden/Cobra with this 50 watt mod so I can see for myself. I used to take it at face value based on what I thought were credible evaluations. Two for example are forum admin. and AM Power. I have seen that you can't bash a forum sponser too bad or some get testy. this would suggest a business arrangement of some kind I guess, not sure. Who cares. And AM Power tells so many whoppers any more on how much power his amplifiers do it's plain crazy. I don't think Joe could even get the numbewrs A M claims. Last year AM Powers CBR tuned Uniden 68 was the cats meow. This year it's up for sale and he's talking up Cobra's with the 50 watt mod. I hope AM Power does not use the same meter he uses to get 600 watts from a 1x2 amplifier he builds. Jeez. Ok, kinda did a Dennis Miller Rant here so I'm back quiet.

I have been all over the C E web site and do not see anyplace where it states the stuff gets removed from the radio. I asked Justin what he does to a Magnum S3 and this is what was said, " We do several modifications, including audio, front end, and transmit." So does yanking stuff from the radio fall under "several modifications" ?? Who knows, who cares. 579 has the radio now. He can put in his nickle worth. Gotta get to work, later.

.............Cough-cough!...........

z8fsmile.gif

I see your point so I should have said maybe I wish you tuned them in a manner that keeps the radio in tact. Saying you were wrong was maybe not a good way to word it.

I had very high expectations when I bought this radio, one of which was to be able to take it to the local tech with a Bird and scope and watch it hit 50 watts. Even 45-50 watts and i would have said wow. When it went 38-40 I thought what the heck.

Next I wanted to try this new Top Gun and see. If i didn't like it I would just turn it off. Once I found out parts were gone I felt I could not sell this radio in good faith. I figured Justin would tell me the parts were there when it left his shop and it would be my tough luck. I guess now I wish I would have just sold it and really played it up here that it was tuned by Justin.

Most shops just convert the new Magnum radios because they claim R F limited aligns them up from the factory. Is it possible to improve the performance and audio without removing anything ? Just curious thats all. Again, I have never doubted your qualifications or tech skills, heck I listen to a 2970 you tuned 4-5 nights a week. John sent it to you because I told him to, he's still tickled about how well it performs.

Time for another beer and I can't think of anything else to say at the moment so I guess i'm done.

Well said butcher nice to see another standup guy on here :D

As for the issue I think it boils down to (useing the auto tech referance). Some techs swear that platnium plugs are IT and some swear by AC'S and yet still some would have you belive that the multi electrode plugs is the wat to go. Fact is that THEY ALL WILL MAKE YOUR ENGINE RUN !!!! So where I like not only platinum but multi electrode platinums my neighbor likes his splitfire plugs and we both DRIVE to work :D :D

Just my two chunks of copper.

Chuck

I understand that Justin is a friend of some of you guys and I am sure he is a very nice gentleman. It's only natural to defend your friends.

The top gun modulator is, to me, useless. However, for the "swing" crowd, this is a buying feature of the radio. Magnum promotes the heck out of it. I don't like it, don't use it, and therefore it is in the OFF position.

Removing a component, such as the top gun modulator, and keeping it, raises eyebrows.

Reasons being:

1. It's not a diode, resistor, transistor, etc. If I am not mistaken, these are being sold as aftermarket devices by some places as we speak. I don't know the price, but probably 30-40 dollars.

2. The damn thing has an on/off switch. The only reason to remove it would be:
a. he's scared that a customer will accidently turn it on, sound like crap, and announce to everyone it's a Justin Depolis radio. Bad advertising to say the least.
b. The complexities of the on/off switch is too much for (some of) his customers.
c. There is some type of after market value or profit that can be made from them. Are they for sale on ebay? Maybe the Stryker will have a similar board? I don't know.

Have you ever heard someone say, "My Dr. doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground." I haven't...not until someone is almost killed that is...same thing goes with techs/repairmen of any type...I can't say that I have heard the statement, "My tech is a real theif and can't do anything right."

I hope I'm not being hard on Justin. But I just can't get beyond the fact that the damn thing has an on/off switch. Maybe there is an explanation for this. I just do not understand it. I've come across a lot of things like that though.

Actualy the top gun is nohing more than an npc mod incased in plastic :shock: And any teech worth anything knows that.Now if the mods that a tech has DESINGED dosen't work well with an npc type mod then it only makes sence to take it out? Now if it were me I WOULD offer the part back to the owner but that's just me.Most would decline it anyway but at least I wouldn't have to hear the goofy ones crying that I stole their junk.The long and short of it is that NONE of the customers has had ANYTHING but praises of the modifications,this says only one thing, EVERY customer that Justin has performed the mod for has been happy with the results :D The only reason this came up at all is that someone bought a radio SECOND hand that Justin had performed the mon on and later discovered the fact that the TG had been removed,that person then felt that it somehow lowered the resale value of the radio. It apperentlyy did not as it sold REAL fast :shock: :D Just to make it perfectly clear the reason it sold so fast is the verry person folks are attacking,IT WAS A JUSTIN BUILT RADIO. At least that is the way it appears to me.

Having said that those folks out there who still don't understand why I am so looking forward to having Justin work on my two radios will prolly NEVER understand it.

Chuck

CHARLEYMARBLES said:
.............Having said that those folks out there who still don't understand why I am so looking forward to having Justin work on my two radios will prolly NEVER understand it.

Chuck

stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif

Could it be because Justin IS CharleyMarbles and CharleyMarbles is Justin?

stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif
stirthepot.gif

Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!!!

CharleyMarbles, since you continue to jump in on this, would you please respond POINT-FOR-POINT to 949Jake's message.

949Jake said:
I understand that Justin is a friend of some of you guys and I am sure he is a very nice gentleman. It's only natural to defend your friends.

Yes or no, is he right or wrong? Chuck, your Response here

The top gun modulator is, to me, useless. However, for the "swing" crowd, this is a buying feature of the radio. Magnum promotes the heck out of it. I don't like it, don't use it, and therefore it is in the OFF position.

Removing a component, such as the top gun modulator, and keeping it, raises eyebrows.

Reasons being:

1. It's not a diode, resistor, transistor, etc. If I am not mistaken, these are being sold as aftermarket devices by some places as we speak. I don't know the price, but probably 30-40 dollars.

2. The damn thing has an on/off switch. The only reason to remove it would be:
a. he's scared that a customer will accidently turn it on, sound like crap, and announce to everyone it's a Justin Depolis radio. Bad advertising to say the least.
b. The complexities of the on/off switch is too much for (some of) his customers.
c. There is some type of after market value or profit that can be made from them. Are they for sale on ebay? Maybe the Stryker will have a similar board? I don't know.

Have you ever heard someone say, "My Dr. doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground." I haven't...not until someone is almost killed that is...same thing goes with techs/repairmen of any type...I can't say that I have heard the statement, "My tech is a real theif and can't do anything right."

I hope I'm not being hard on Justin. But I just can't get beyond the fact that the damn thing has an on/off switch. Maybe there is an explanation for this. I just do not understand it. I've come across a lot of things like that though.

CHARLEYMARBLES take off your Cheerleading Tee-Shirt and please respond logically, in order of statement, and on topic to 949Jake's message please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.