• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PAL Electronics 600+ tube amp

Finding 6 tubes that play well together in that final stage could be a nightmare. Don't even expect it to happen if they are not all the same brand and lot number. I would just put this off to the side and wait and see if you may find a set in the future but don't go out and try to buy new ones from different places and piece a set of 6 together. You'll spend top dollar only to burn the strongest ones out very quickly.

The AL-80 was a good suggestion but it will only make about 100 watts or less with a Mark III driving it. You would need another stage in front of it to achieve full output. Also keep in mind it has no RF keying circuit so you will need to add something to fix that or key it manually with a foot pedal.

Finding 6 tubes that play well together in that final stage could be a nightmare. Don't even expect it to happen if they are not all the same brand and lot number. I would just put this off to the side and wait and see if you may find a set in the future but don't go out and try to buy new ones from different places and piece a set of 6 together. You'll spend top dollar only to burn the strongest ones out very quickly.

The AL-80 was a good suggestion but it will only make about 100 watts or less with a Mark III driving it. You would need another stage in front of it to achieve full output. Also keep in mind it has no RF keying circuit so you will need to add something to fix that or key it manually with a foot pedal.
6 compactron 12 pin tubes.
I know where to get 6kd6 tubes manufacturer and lot matched under $40/each. Im not going to say where here, or now but just know they are available but you either have to know someone or really do your homework. I believe there is about 100 of them in bulk packaging left.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
6 compactron 12 pin tubes.
I know where to get 6kd6 tubes manufacturer and lot matched under $40/each. Im not going to say where here, or now but just know they are available but you either have to know someone or really do your homework. I believe there is about 100 of them in bulk packaging left.
There are also a lot of other much less popular sweep tubes still available for peanuts. I retubed a 300A at just $5.95 per tube and purchased all 15 that they had matching at that price. TV manufacturers like Magnavox often used what others didn't. Linear builders avoided these tubes because they typically needed more bias voltage to keep them from over dissipating. Adding a few diodes in a string to cure that bias problem today is far cheaper than buying the original tubes.

If you give up the 6 volt filament, there are even more that can be wired in series to light the filaments from line voltage. If you do that in a 6 tube final stage, you must treat the filament as a directly heated one and add RF chokes inline with it. That keeps the filament at the same RF voltage as the cathode and prevents them from shorting together under the higher drive level.

Incidentally, if you are ever building an 8877 amplifier you will want to use RF chokes in its filament lines too. Even though it is not required on that tube, it sure does make them more reliable when driven hard.

Last edited:
Incidentally, if you are ever building an 8877 amplifier you will want to use RF chokes in its filament lines too. Even though it is not required on that tube, it sure does make them more reliable when driven hard.
As im going thru a saved search that has nothing to do with amps...
Screenshot_2020-01-25-14-35-43.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?