• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Picked UP A Cobra 139XLR

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I just picked up a cobra 139XLR with side band today nice radio for $125 to replace my 89xlr that just went out it has been peaked & tuned by a local cb shop

NewCorba139XLR.jpg

back in the day that was the base to have for us common folks in the lil town i was in . alas.....i only had a 89xlr but she was 10-8 !! :D

That's a fine radio. I had one about 7 or 8 years ago, but my friend's son and a cup of Kool-Aid took care of it for me!!! Better luck with yours!

DTB,

you seem to be hinting at some prior experience with a certain common problem here.
maybe i am wrong.

i am a big fan of this chassis, and am quite curious to know if there is a trick or two to aligning the PLL section of this radio.
i have aligned mine and have no problems with it, but i always enjoy hearing about an inside tip.
thanks,
loosecannon

i gotcha,

like, the 7.8mhz IF cans are mistuned; causing "unclarifyability".
LOL that's 8 syllables!

well, i'm a big fan of this chassis.
i've tried to get some techs' opinions on the D21&22-4.7K resistor audio mod thingy, but never could get an answer as to whether or not it messes up the speech compressor circuit or improves it.

i have it done to mine, and i get good reports, but i have never heard it with my own ears. (dont play with that one much)
loosecannon

first check the relay.
make sure it is engaging and disengaging properly.
if not, good luck. you'll need it to find another one.

if relay checks out ok; try replacing C179 (near final and driver) with a 2.2uF 25v electrolytic capacitor. (stock part is a tantalum cap, and is notorious for going out.)

if thats not the problem, the driver is a 2SC1306, which isnt made anymore, but you can replace it with a 2SC2166.
the final is a 2SC1307, but again, not made anymore. can be replaced with a 2SC1969, or an NTE236. (1969 preferred)
you must re-bias the final and driver when replacing either.
driver should be at 40mA
final should be at 70mA.

also be wary of the MV1Y diodes that are heatsinked to the driver and final. if you cant bias the driver and /or final.
its a good guess that these have gone. best to replace with original part from junk radio.

also, while you are messing around inside that radio; all of the 2SC1419's should be replaced with NTE152's.
the one near the PLL should be moved to a big hunk of metal inside the chassis, and have wires going to the PC foil traces.
check for burnt foil traces near this transistor and the big resistor covered in teflon behind it.

best of luck, great radio!
loosecannon

click and unclicks means keys and unkeys :) and yes the relays open and close so yes there is movement. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.