• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Polarized or Non-polarized, that is the question

Ocean cruiser

May 20, 2019
Hey gang, im replacing the caps in a PC244 and came across some Polarized 2.2uf 25v caps. I can’t seem to find any on Digi-Key or Mouser. But I do have some Non-polarized ones. My question is, can I use the Non-polarized in place of the polarized ones and what kind of affect will it have if any. Please let me know. Thanks

Hey gang, im replacing the caps in a PC244 and came across some Polarized 2.2uf 25v caps. I can’t seem to find any on Digi-Key or Mouser. But I do have some Non-polarized ones. My question is, can I use the Non-polarized in place of the polarized ones and what kind of affect will it have if any. Please let me know. Thanks
Ummm . . . bit confused here . . .
Caps in radios are usually ALL polarized.
THE
most common caps available are all polarized.
Digikey and Mouser has mountains of polarized caps.
Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Although they are more expensive, you can almost always use a non polarized electrolytic in place of a polarized one but, not vise versa. The only difference is this cap will charge to the same open resistance value in the reverse direction and that is a condition you would not normally see in a circuit that was originally designed for use with a polarized cap.

The non-polarized are used for the passing of AC signals and DCV blocking, Polarized are used as DC ripple filters.
If you can wait for just a little while I know I have 2.2 at 25 vdc here I'll give you four or five if you can be patient. Also know this you can 2.2 for a higher voltage and use it.
Running caps in series reduces the capacity. If you put two 2.2 caps in series you end up with 1.1 uf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would use 35 or 50 volt polarized caps in that application. Should be common as dirt.
David
That would be fine if they could fit mechanically, lead spacing, lead diameter diameter of the capacitors body.
The answer to your main question polarized or non, put in what came out. There is a reason the designer picked one or the other is he is privy to design parameters that may not be apparent.

Last edited:
If the 244 Uniden I think you're working with...then ANY 2.2uF eve at 16V should work, it's a more common values today...

upload_2020-5-28_19-5-57.png

The 25V ratings is more of a durability and tolerance issue for quality assurance the "non-polarized" polarized parts being back to back NEGATIVE - realize that the design of the Electrolytic's back then had a influence on QUALITY as well as emission leakage.

Their last outer shell of foil was NEGATIVE - which provided shielding note the schematically oriented parts above - they are POSITIVE to POSITIVE so the "Board sees" Negative to Negative.

Just use good quality and close tolerance parts (105C rating too) and 16V would work - too high of a voltage, the thing would have some time trying to "lock" because of the "lag time" the higher voltage capacity - read bigger plate and larger separation within the package - may hinder the loop from working right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?