• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K

He ships those whips long to allow you to trim them for your set-up.

Jeff
Yeah, I learned the hard way! Lol....lol...lol!
I trimmed-off 1/4" pieces until I got to three inches, and I started to get nervous because the SWR was not changing.
I had the 27" shaft attached to the 3" tall Breedlove quick disconnect attached to a Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount and then I realized why I had to trim so much from the stinger. I finally reached a "happy medium" with just about 1.3:1 on all forty channels with 4 watts. After numerous 1/4" pieces, I started trimming-off 3/4" pieces until the SWR was at 1.3:1 and I stopped.
Thinking back, I had probably trimmed-off at least four to five inches.

Yes, Kale builds excellent antennas, and he is very good at standing behind his product.
Me and Kale have butted heads in the past over a few things, but I will recommend the 22" and 27" inch single coil as good stuff.
He must be 90 by now......

Jeff
My Predator is mounted on a Breedlove

Pedestal mount with SO-239 Connection # 209, btw.​

It's a great, very strong mount.

Reactions: Riverman
Yeah, I learned the hard way! Lol....lol...lol!
I trimmed-off 1/4" pieces until I got to three inches, and I started to get nervous because the SWR was not changing.
I had the 27" shaft attached to the 3" tall Breedlove quick disconnect attached to a Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount and then I realized why I had to trim so much from the stinger. I finally reached a "happy medium" with just about 1.3:1 on all forty channels with 4 watts. After numerous 1/4" pieces, I started trimming-off 3/4" pieces until the SWR was at 1.3:1 and I stopped.
Thinking back, I had probably trimmed-off at least four to five inches.
Yeah most mobile antenna manufacturers ship with a little extra length on the whips. Better than not having one long enough that’s for sure.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Groundhog - I had the same antenna mounted on the roof of my old F150 for about 6 yrs, I was very pleased with it.

There are a couple things you should do to make sure that the antenna is really working good. 1) Put a antenna analyzer on it. 2) Make sure all the coils are evenly spaced before tuning and NEVER mess with them after you have tuned it (spreading the coils or closing them will change your reading).

If memory serves me correct, I cut about 2 1/2" off the stinger.

Groundhog - I had the same antenna mounted on the roof of my old F150 for about 6 yrs, I was very pleased with it.

There are a couple things you should do to make sure that the antenna is really working good. 1) Put a antenna analyzer on it. 2) Make sure all the coils are evenly spaced before tuning and NEVER mess with them after you have tuned it (spreading the coils or closing them will change your reading).

Thanks for that. Appreciate the help/info.

Reactions: Marconi

Yeah everyone definitely needs to invest in an antenna analyzer. I don’t trust swr/watt meters especially when an amp is involved. And I definitely don’t trust the swr meter in radios. I have a rig expert. Love it! Worth every penny.

Good points,

One design flaw about the Predator antenna is the coils are kind of soft and easily can get deformed.

Yes, this will affect the tuning.

My Predator is over 10 years old so I'm assuming the design hasn't changed since then.

Good points,

One design flaw about the Predator antenna is the coils are kind of soft and easily can get deformed.

Yes, this will affect the tuning.

My Predator is over 10 years old so I'm assuming the design hasn't changed since then.
The single coil has not changed, still the same Antenna.
I talked to Kale last week, he and his two helpers are still cranking out orders.

Jeff

Good God who needs 7 or 8 thousand watts????
Who needs 1000 or more horsepower. Like all other men’s hobbies more is better lol. Some of the big boys on the bowl have setups capable of 50k watts or more. Some of the competitors in mobile key down run 70k plus watts. A freaking built up motor with nitrous just to run all the alternators lol. Imagine all the tension on the front end of the motors from the belt running all those high amp alternators. Those setups are nuts.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The single coil has not changed, still the same Antenna.
I talked to Kale last week, he and his two helpers are still cranking out orders.

Jeff
My Predator is mounted on a Breedlove

Pedestal mount with SO-239 Connection # 209, btw.​

It's a great, very strong mount.
Jeff and/or Groundhog, could either of you get me the precise dimensions of the single coil Predator?

I won't to try and model it on a 4-element ground plane similar to the Starduster.

I need the exposed lengths and diameters in inches for the parts (maybe 5 elements) including the coil diameter (beginning to end), tubing diameter, and insulator length.

Plus, the overall length of the whole antenna at tune.

73's and God Bless,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa on his radio.

Attachments

• ae279826-0da8-449a-9dba-e841b28b6c6b_1.ade9820b22e518c36e3c18f539246f7e[1].jpeg
    ae279826-0da8-449a-9dba-e841b28b6c6b_1.ade9820b22e518c36e3c18f539246f7e[1].jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 6
Jeff and/or Groundhog, could either of you get me the precise dimensions of the single coil Predator?

I won't to try and model it on a 4-element ground plane similar to the Starduster.

I need the exposed lengths and diameters in inches for the parts (maybe 5 elements) including the coil diameter (beginning to end), tubing diameter, and insulator length.

Plus, the overall length of the whole antenna at tune.

73's and God Bless,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa on his radio.
I can Sunday, Marconi. Getting up early and traveling tomorrow. It's dark and cold out tonight. Staying in! Hahaha

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated