• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Antenna's

Dang. Tree limb knocked it off the roof today. Landed smack in the bed. Luckily it didn’t seem to hurt anything.

Talked a bunch of DX today, too. Seems to be working!

;)

...and today I realize I bent something when the antenna fell...it’s got a lean to one side now. I sure hope it’s the PL adaptor, and not the antenna base. Barely noticeable, but annoying enough that I have to fix it.

...and today I realize I bent something when the antenna fell...it’s got a lean to one side now. I sure hope it’s the PL adaptor, and not the antenna base. Barely noticeable, but annoying enough that I have to fix it.
I find a camp hatchet works well. But only use the flat side, need good hard surface under object.

I imagine you did just fine with that setup :)

I do tend to like a roof mounted antenna when I can, just thankful this one wasn’t hard mounted!

As far as the earlier comments about audio volume and how it relates to antenna performance, I will say the only time I have ever noticed a reduction in volume is when at the fringes of communication. When the signal drops so low it doesn’t register on an S meter on a very quiet day.

That’s what I experienced when I tested the antennas at the fringe of my range. None of the antennas moved the needle, but all sounded about the same except the Wilson, which needed the volume turned up to be heard.

Hey Dled, have you ever seen / heard about this antenna? (I found it awhile back when looking for the Texas).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Almighty-A...na-Destroys-4ft-Shorter-Antennas/223205345083

I really like the Texas. Just need to keep it planted on the roof!

What mount are you using? With my other antennas I've always used either a Wilson or Diamond large-size magnet mount, but I bought a tri-magnet mount for the Texas

(partially because I didn't want to use an adapter, and paritally because I wasn't so sure it would hold up using the old mag mount)

What mount are you using? With my other antennas I've always used either a Wilson or Diamond large-size magnet mount, but I bought a tri-magnet mount for the Texas

(partially because I didn't want to use an adapter, and paritally because I wasn't so sure it would hold up using the old mag mount)

Send that mag mount out to be chromed.

Blinding shine on both before leaving house. Worth an S-Unit every time

Some interesting design on a couple of these models.
Some good; some not so.

The good? The Iowa version uses two rings to change the coil inductance, just like the Imax 2000 or the A99 antenna uses. No need to trim the whip to get the right match. Speaking of the whip, I am no fan of antennas that use a whip of 40 inches/less, as they tend to be very narrow banded. Mobile antenna are already compromised and offer no gain.

On the Alabama version, the center section is made of clear plastic. So long as that plastic has been ultraviolet stabilized, that would be OK. If not; then mechanical failure/breakage is inevitable within a few short years. Doesn't use the ring method for tuning as the Iowa version does. Does use a 60 inch long whip - comparable to a Wilson 1000/5000. Whips that are 5 ft or longer seem to have decent efficiency and have better bandwidth than the 40 inch antennas, so this one a clear step up from the first one.

Now, the Maryland version uses a 57 inch whip AND the tuning ring like the Iowa version does. It doesn't use clear plastic on the base either. So far, that looks like the best choice.

The bad? The Mississippi version just sucks - IMO. Short antenna whip that uses both a center load and base coil. Only 28 inches in height; uh oh. The worst antenna so far and a real loser because of the low efficiency and very narrow banded design. Wonder if it can make the standard 40 CB channels with an acceptable SWR . . . doubtful . . .

The Texas version is the real winner in this lineup that I can see. The whip is a whopping 83 inches tall, making the need for the coil to be minimal to reach the proper impedance and therefore offers the least loss of all the aforementioned antennas. Very wide banded and very efficient design. No mention of thickness of the whip, as a thin gauge whip will be anything but perpendicular at even low vehicle speeds - and therefore have a poor radiating pattern.

What I dislike about all of them is that they just use the 3/8" screw base instead of using a SO-239 like a Wilson or a Sirio does. Limits one to use their mag base or some cheap off the shelf job that may not be stable when the vehicle reaches freeway speeds in a headwind.

What I like about them is that the whip material is a cheap stainless steel. Better a cheap stainless than no stainless at all.

But this is all I can gather from what can be seen in the pictures provided . . . just thought I would stir the pot a little . . .
I installed the Iowa a few days ago. 1. SWR is less than 1.2 on all AM channels. 2. The "cheap" stainless steel mast is definitely low-grade stainless because it can be bent very easily. 3. The small diameter plastic coil covering is nice and neat looking but difficult to grip onto to thread into a mount and tighten. 4. The tuning rings appear to be chrome plated and I am curious what will happen to the finish in the winter weather.

Reactions: Woody-202 and Robb

It’s on a Wilson mag, Woody. I tend to think it’s just not big enough.

I have a ribbed roof, so a tri or quad mag would have to be further forward than I want...but I just need to drill a hole. Otherwise, the Texas is perfect for me, and the soft whip will snake through the trees just fine if it’s mounted better.

Reactions: Woody-202
It’s no joke that plastic shrink wrap won’t come off (side facing out in packaging). I even used my Kershaw Ken Onion “fingernail” (Model 1600) and still can’t get it off without nicking finish (patience not last nights virtue: adjust ratio of Scotch to Community Coffee w/Chicory).

Ref. Note: Height is 83.46”

Last edited:
It’s no joke that plastic shrink wrap won’t come off (side facing out in packaging). I even used my Kershaw Ken Onion “fingernail” (Model 1600) and still can’t get it off without nicking finish (patience not last nights virtue: adjust ratio of Scotch to Community Coffee w/Chicory).
Pour a little Goo-Gone on the antenna and wipe it off with fine steel wool or 600 grit emery cloth.

Reactions: Slowmover
Tried the Texas on my Wilson roof mount with the adapter looks kinda fugly!! So another antenna in the museum..Just for you slowmover...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.