• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Antenna's

Tried the Texas on my Wilson roof mount with the adapter looks kinda fugly!! So another antenna in the museum..Just for you slowmover...

I love mine, performance wise, but adaptor or not I’m not a fan of the chrome-looking coil cover. I wish it was just a plain satin black.

Ref. Note: Height is 83.46

And there’s the big “secret” to the performance, IMO. When I checked a few back to back, the Texas was the only one that didn’t seem to give up anything to a full length whip. I want to try again looking only at receive, because it does seem the whip may be better by a fair bit.

Curious to see if anyone falls out of love with theirs after running it for a while...because I sure haven’t heard a bad report yet.

And just to add...if I had any complaints:
(1)a black version would be nice, (2) the brass screw for whip fold over and set screws are very soft, and (3) the lower portion of the whip can develop a “set” from the wind. Mine is not very bad, but it’s never been over 55 and I suspect it might get bad at prolonged highway speeds.

Last edited:
I love mine, performance wise, but adaptor or not I’m not a fan of the chrome-looking coil cover. I wish it was just a plain satin black.

And there’s the big “secret” to the performance, IMO. When I checked a few back to back, the Texas was the only one that didn’t seem to give up anything to a full length whip. I want to try again looking only at receive, because it does seem the whip may be better by a fair bit.

Curious to see if anyone falls out of love with theirs after running it for a while...because I sure haven’t heard a bad report yet.

(1)a black version would be nice, (2) the brass screw for whip fold over and set screws are very soft, and (3) the lower portion of the whip can develop a “set” from the wind. Mine is not very bad, but it’s never been over 55 and I suspect it might get bad at prolonged highway speeds.
1340 I am on 38LSB calling for you.

Reactions: 2NC995

KRYLON Fusion aerosol paint will do about anything plastic. Gloss or semi-gloss.

Take the pickup to Blue Beacon for a wheelwell and undercarriage wash. Back side of wheels from opposite side. Engine wash top and bottom. Etc. You want to see, Better Living Through Chemistry, there’s no better example.

After a few paint coats on the antenna, use the balance to paint the wheelwells, exposed frame, hitch receiver, etc.

No one will think you’re from Texas, then. But maybe still a Presbyterian.

As a.Texas Presbyterian, it’s what one doesn’t understand about predestination that makes that chrome fun. As the Babtists and others already get that angle.

We’ll get Redbeard, Eldorado or another gennywine Texas type to explain a long dawn on a two-lane coming out of the sun . . and how to but calmly wave from the steering wheel. (There’s a method).

How the other guy recovered from drifting into your lane. (That lil reflection).

Miles to go before we sleep.
(The journey ain't in the takeaway)

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
KRYLON Fusion aerosol paint will do about anything plastic. Gloss or semi-gloss.

Take the pickup to Blue Beacon for a wheelwell and undercarriage wash. Back side of wheels from opposite side. Engine wash top and bottom. Etc. You want to see, Better Living Through Chemistry, there’s no better example.

After a few paint coats on the antenna, use the balance to paint the wheelwells, exposed frame, hitch receiver, etc.

No one will think you’re from Texas, then. But maybe still a Presbyterian.

As a.Texas Presbyterian, it’s what one doesn’t understand about predestination that makes that chrome fun. As the Babtists and others already get that angle.

Keep meaning to mention regarding drilling...so before I forget...surrounding the soon-to-be hole with (Harbor Freight) magnets catches most of the trash.

Obvious solution, of course, so consider it a Chinese product endorsement.

image.jpg

Have you tried to adjust it yet?

FWIW, my adjustment consisted of assembly, check SWR, talk!

Still polishing the tri-mag. Tapering leading edges. Aligning magnet cover drain holes. About to apply a coat of REJEX to the whole, as — between blinding shine + chrome — the sub-molecular bond won’t allow static to adhere.

No, friend, not yet. I’ve had several years worth of gear I’ve bought and never sorted down to the granular level. Bags and metal tool boxes. Stuff. Ever-whar.

Work I’ve avoided. Just climb back in big truck AND DRIVE.

The fun parts:

1). My son had his tools stolen two years ago by the moving company “helpers” (they made good on it). I’ve bought enough tools on the road and online I’ve started to have three and four of everything. So I’ve put together a CARE package. (A “real” toolbox has old and new. Some pieces I’ve had 40-years).

2). My Dad passed ten years ago. A toolbox I gave him 45-years ago is now my Electrical box. That’s gotten cleaned up & out. Lubed. Between it and a 3’ BUCKETBOSS Gladstone Bag are the radio items directly related to power. Etc.

My back has whacked me for the day.

Spent it with all the split loom left over from the Peterbilt project (and a couple of Freightshakers before it) and the 1/8” + 1/4” bought in 100’ rolls now is used up with leftover wire covered, some of it a couple of decades old. (It ain’t ready if it ain’t covered. Covered, bound and bundled with its brothers).

I don’t think I used 80’, but over the past days have done similar with coax and Big Power. (This was the little stuff).

Forgot to order the Split Loom Loading Tool (yes, there are several types). The big stuff kicked my tail sitting on the bunk while on the road installing double 2-AWG into 1.0” ID.

The (4) Harbor Freight cases (how did I miss I have six or seven radios?) are about ready to be outfitted. Whatever came inside original shipping plus spares. Storage here is limited. Radios (plus the necessary) need to be ready. Etc.

Antennas are another day. I thought I had a dozen. Nope, seventeen. Some 8’ and 6’ and 4’ pieces of PVC capped at one end is soon to come.

I was thinking about my “proper” sub-13’ coax problem for yon Texan and believe I’ll join an LMR-400 six-footer to a DXE-58 piece that ought to make the bend under the rear seat and back thru the cab vent. And a third DXE to go up and over the roof to hit the magmount.

Compare it to (horrors) a truckstop 18’ still in the package.

I’ve spent, . . but coax crimp tool and supplies havent yet arrived from the North Pole.

Yours might perform.
But mine’s shiny.

Last edited:
Pour a little Goo-Gone on the antenna and wipe it off with fine steel wool or 600 grit emery cloth.

Sorry I missed this earlier. The mess of gear between “home” and “road” means I lose things. But I found the Goo Gone this morning!

But now I can’t find it after I came back inside. Set it down. And started on something else.

Thx!

I was wondering at the answer to that question. “Plastic” chrome, and all.

Eyeballed the double-battery system on the truck today. Think I may just go ahead and replace the ANCOR 10-2 with some that’s fresh and longer.

Engine block ground is accessible without jacking up the truck. Other battery frame ground also “not hard” to get to (my height and X-long arms still mean my feet will be off the ground as I hang over the fender, ha!

Gathered the mainly same tools and wrapped a 20” piece of 5/8” rebar with the stripped end of some 6-THHN and (using the wow-this-is-great advice of using a water jug to keep hole wet) I EASILY drove that rebar as a “Ground Rod” (static rod?) for the Silver Streak mains frame ground.

RV electrical isn’t like typical UL household. The “ground” is back at the park entrance thru the distribution system. The service entrance. But I’d seen over on QRZ that transceiver noise might be lessened with a static ground (the rebar a handy way to get that wire below the layer of gravel atop the clay). Some clean-up on that assembly. Ditched my 50A-to-30A dogbone adaptor at the power pedestal (30A outlets often in bad shape at RV parks. Low voltage a problem in summer heat. Using the 50A side can — in my experience— keep this problem at bay).

I could swear my stereo now sounds better.
(Bluetooth thru a soundbar).

The campground radio (Robyn) won’t mount where I want in the SS. And the 12V power POS got cut where I can’t reach it. Time for new power.

I can make a short run almost straight up inside the front of the trailer for that. Same ANCOR 10-2. Mount radio atop a cabinet. Antenna is a glass-mount I can put on the front window by modifying the composite exterior swing cover. (Dremel will be busy tomorrow). I was going to use the factory-option location, and am now glad things are going this way. The “party line” will be within easy reach of the couch.

A better antenna someday.

So, two radios to be ready.

Truck power run in my 2007 original configuration means the 10-2 is rated for a 20A draw. I’ll throw coax out the window and see if it’s even possible to hear on SSB while parked at home. (Have power lines almost truck height on property down the hill from me running N-S, and I’m configured E-W. Maybe thirty yards.)

It’s all taken too long (other jobs going as well), so I hope that by weekend I can have an idea of how it’ll work.

The puck mount is a little ways off. But I can get:

— PRESIDENT Texas
— 102” whip
— 7’ Skipshooter

on the air and make some notes.

Depending on weather (cold/wet) I’ll reconfigure one of the TAC COMM Radio Carriers to be the pickup box. A mount off the floor for radio, etc, is going to consume some time to figure out and get help in fabricating. Back to the Velcro-straps-around-the-fold-down-center-console to hold the Carrier.

BUT at least I’ll be able to test what I currently own.
(Whew, wipes forehead: thread subject not sinking).

Reactions: Woody-202
Been on the forum for a year, as a lurker (I enjoy reading what experts have to say, thanks) Any way a couple years ago I sold my semi and retired.

Took my Uniden Grant XL out of the truck and installed it in my pickup with a lil wil antenna. Thanks to this forum, I've decided to punch a hole in the roof, install a president Iowa antenna mounted on a 2" Breedlove puck mount and run some LMR 240 ultraflex

I don't need or want a big antenna. I think @ 40" the Iowa mounted on the roof is just what I'm looking for.

If I'm wrong about this setup let me know and tell me your opinion. I'm an old trucker not a radio expert.

Been on the forum for a year, as a lurker (I enjoy reading what experts have to say, thanks) Any way a couple years ago I sold my semi and retired.

Took my Uniden Grant XL out of the truck and installed it in my pickup with a lil wil antenna. Thanks to this forum, I've decided to punch a hole in the roof, install a president Iowa antenna mounted on a 2" Breedlove puck mount and run some LMR 240 ultraflex

I don't need or want a big antenna. I think @ 40" the Iowa mounted on the roof is just what I'm looking for.

If I'm wrong about this setup let me know and tell me your opinion. I'm an old trucker not a radio expert.
I am using a (thin) 43" Laird NMO CB antenna on a third brake light antenna mount and it does the job for me.

Hell, I’ve had my truck a dozen years and never got “serious” (past planning), until the Quiet Eleven Meter thread cracked me up one night.

Installing RF bonds today, as it so happens.

The hole comes later (but I do have the chassis punch).

Greetings from another “old trucker”.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.