1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

President Jackson export does not key

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Lkaskel, May 24, 2021.

1. Lkaskel

Lkaskel Active Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have a President Jackson that has not been used an a few years as the owner had passed away. It was supposed to have been in working order. The radio is in perfect shape and base on the solder side of the board it appears to be untouched. The radio does receive fine and on freq. It does not key thought. By that, I mean that it does not go into transmit "mode". When you key the mic the receive stays active and the RX light stays lit. I have checked for broken wires on the mic section, tried numerous mics as well as my TX box on the bench and...nothing. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always!!!

2. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

Lkaskel,
    I just finished one of these for a good friend of mine. I replaced ALL of the electrolytic capacitors and repaired a couple dozen bad solder connections on the board (magnifying optical lenses are a necessity-for me anyway).
    I also replaced the wimpy 20 or 22 ga wire from the circuit board to the center pin of the S0-239 (doubt that was the issue but felt cheap to me) with a piece of 16 ga tinned buss wire.
    Several other issues with this radio were repaired but probably not related to the “not keying to transmit”. (Inoperative meter, frequency not following band switch etc)
    First thing I did was remove and test the driver and final transistors- if the final was bad it would probably have totaled the radio/repair.
    My suggestion is to replace all electrolytic capacitors first. I tested all the originals and may have found one cap that was within 20% of the original value. All others were BAD.

38A3EAEE-7F3D-4325-B9B3-6799BD0C0A26.jpeg

Good Luck

David

#2 Dmans, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Crawdad, Ranch55, tecnicoloco and 2 others like this.
  3. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Trust this gentleman he knows his stuff!!

Ranch55 likes this.
  4. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

:)

5. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

Lkaskel,
    I just thought about another possibility here. The Squelch knob also activates the PA function when turned fully counter clockwise. It is probably the same pot/switch combination as the volume control. If you "turn on" the squelch knob, PA function is off and TX is enabled. Ask me how I know. :whistle:

Good Luck
    David

Ranch55 likes this.
  6. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Replace every part in radio. At some point you'll replace that faulty one :)

Low_Boy likes this.
  7. Lkaskel

Lkaskel Active Member

Thanks so much for your thoughts David!!! I do have one "logical" question. If the driver/final are bad wouldn't the radio still key/switch to transmit? The reason I ask is I have had a few folks mention that I should expect that they are bad and I have never noticed in other radios that in the case where they were bad that it kept the radio from keying. The fact that the radio stays in receive tells me that it would likely be something else.

Thanks again!!!

8. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Sr. Member

The one I had that did not work had a few bad solder connections. Like Dmans said a good magnifier or a stiff tooth brushing while keying will usually work. When the TX light comes on you found your spot.

9. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Check TR32, TR33, D59, D61 if not defective.
    Take a piece of wire and connect cathode of D61 to the ground. (Not chassis ground).
    Come back with results.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  10. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

It may still transmit with a bad final. But try finding an MRF477 replacement. $$$$$$$

I think in my case it was the old, leaky and aged out electrolytics causing the problem. I did test every one of them when removed and was surprised at how low the values were.

David

11. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Now and again the PA switch in a Galaxy Saturn will fail to close one circuit and the radio stops transmitting. Clicking it to "PA" and back a time or three magically fixes it.

For a while.

YMMV.

12. Lkaskel

Lkaskel Active Member

Hi there, The parts all checked out and grounding D61 did not make it transmit.

Thx

13. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

Assuming this means the CB/PA switch is good?

Have you tried to ground pin 7 of IC4 directly? Does R172 measure 27k ohms (out of circuit) or is it open? R173-10k ohms? Or open? How is the "health" of C133?

David

tecnicoloco likes this.
  14. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Just send it to DMans..

15. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

Probably should check the PLL lock detector pin as well.

David