• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Purchased new Texas Star DX1600X

Whups! Just noticed you said "1600X", not "V".

Not sure what's different, but the page at CB Tricks for the "X" doesn't have a link to a conversion procedure.

Dern!

Yes Sir, I first checked there.
But thanks for the one on the V. I will compare them when I get it home.

I was pleased to get my new Sweet Sixteen in from Copper converted.
I do have an issue with SWR with or without it powered though. It puts my radio into a 1.5:1 ratio with it off and with it on it causes the radio SWR to swing to 3:1 unmodulated and 1.5 :1 with modulation. All meters (power/amp) swing forward, and voltage is stable at 13.8 VDC.
With a barrel connector and unit out of line, SWR drops to 1:1 at the radio.
Any suggestions?

I was pleased to get my new Sweet Sixteen in from Copper converted.
I do have an issue with SWR with or without it powered though. It puts my radio into a 1.5:1 ratio with it off and with it on it causes the radio SWR to swing to 3:1 unmodulated and 1.5 :1 with modulation. All meters (power/amp) swing forward, and voltage is stable at 13.8 VDC.
With a barrel connector and unit out of line, SWR drops to 1:1 at the radio.
Any suggestions?
Did you ever resolve this? Are you using the meter in the radio or an external meter? The SWR is ok with modulation and high with just the dead key? How much power do you have dead key? Have you tried turning it up a little? I wonder if an antenna tuner between the radio and amp would work? Just throwing some ideas out.

Reactions: Cookie Monster
No, the issue is not solved yet.
I'm driving with 100w SSB and any lower makes the SWR higher. I use a Dosy after the amp and the meter and tuner in the Yaesu FT450D.
I have 3' jumpers with an RF coke at the radio o/p and on on the amp o/p running 3' jumper coax for each. I've tried other cables, with or without the chokes. Any longer raises SWR.
My radio tuner fixes the radio SWR, but the amp with that high SWR gets hot fast and will damage it.
Thanks Shade Tree, I appreciate any help I can get.
de VE3MYC
Mike.

No, the issue is not solved yet.
I'm driving with 100w SSB and any lower makes the SWR higher. I use a Dosy after the amp and the meter and tuner in the Yaesu FT450D.
I have 3' jumpers with an RF coke at the radio o/p and on on the amp o/p running 3' jumper coax for each. I've tried other cables, with or without the chokes. Any longer raises SWR.
My radio tuner fixes the radio SWR, but the amp with that high SWR gets hot fast and will damage it.
Thanks Shade Tree, I appreciate any help I can get.
de VE3MYC
Mike.

When you say choke does that mean 4-6 wraps around a coffee can or wraps of coax inside of a big ferrite at the feed point?

Sounds to me the amp needs it's input and output tuned

Yes sir I do believe you are correct.
This is 2 for 2 Texas Star amps in the past 6 months, the 667V and now the new DX 1600X are defective out of the factory.
I had a fellow operator drop by my shack today with his identical but silver faced amp and plug it in to my station and it ran a 1.2 to 1.3 match. No reflection of 3:1 between modulation.
Looks like another one to ship off to Esondido CA for Galaxy repairs.
VE3MYC

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Connect a 2KW dummy load in place of the antenna and see what the VSWR does then.
That is the only way that the repair shop operates and test the Texas Star amps.
I have experienced the same issues as you describe with my DX1600 and also my DX500V Texas Star amps. They behave quite differently with a dummy load than with an antenna.
With that being said, my Sweet Sixteen also starts out with a 1:6 SWR back into my radio without being turned on and using the antenna. On a dummy load, the SWR falls down to 1:2 ..... I use meters after my radio, and after my amplifiers.
With modulation, the SWR will go from 1:5 to 1:8 .......
I use it that way. But I am planning to go into it and retune the input capacitors of the amp, and the output capacitors also if needed.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.