• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Purchased new Texas Star DX1600X

Connect a 2KW dummy load in place of the antenna and see what the VSWR does then.
That is the only way that the repair shop operates and test the Texas Star amps.
I have experienced the same issues as you describe with my DX1600 and also my DX500V Texas Star amps. They behave quite differently with a dummy load than with an antenna.
With that being said, my Sweet Sixteen also starts out with a 1:6 SWR back into my radio without being turned on and using the antenna. On a dummy load, the SWR falls down to 1:2 ..... I use meters after my radio, and after my amplifiers.
With modulation, the SWR will go from 1:5 to 1:8 .......
I use it that way. But I am planning to go into it and retune the input capacitors of the amp, and the output capacitors also if needed.

Thanks for the info.
It's just wrong with a brand new $1200+ CAD amplifier that I compare to my friends earlier model with DEIs also, works with such a low SWR on my station; I need to do anything but enjoy DX with it.
I looked inside the cover of his unit to see if there were any variable inductors or capacitors for tuning but saw none. I will get a dummy load as you suggest to get a good reading and try to figure what is my next move.

To the best of my knowledge the SWR doesn't change, only the reading on the meter is changing. Before taking an SWR reading you need to calibrate the meter to the power being put into the antenna, when you apply voice modulation the power output isn't steady and the reading changes due to the meter not being calibrated for the changing power levels. Any SWR reading that isn't made with either a dead key or a steady tone from a generator of some sort doesn't really show what's going on.

At least that's this truckers understanding of the issue.

To the best of my knowledge the SWR doesn't change, only the reading on the meter is changing. Before taking an SWR reading you need to calibrate the meter to the power being put into the antenna, when you apply voice modulation the power output isn't steady and the reading changes due to the meter not being calibrated for the changing power levels. Any SWR reading that isn't made with either a dead key or a steady tone from a generator of some sort doesn't really show what's going on.

At least that's this truckers understanding of the issue.
I like to use FM for calibration personally.

I have had a 1600X for 3 months now with the Toshiba non red dots that i DID NOT BUY FROM COPPER (I wouldn't buy a roll of electric tape from them), on SSB, AB setting, at 14v, 50w pep in, well over over 1300 pep out of it, swr of 1.1-1.2. C setting on AM 14.3v, 50w pep in, over 1500w pep out, swr 1.1-1.2. And this will take a max of 100w drive? Havent gone any farther with it, why bother, it will last forever like this. Sorry to hear of everyone's trouble with theirs, guess it depends on who sets it up before you get it.

I have had a 1600X for 3 months now with the Toshiba non red dots that i DID NOT BUY FROM COPPER (I wouldn't buy a roll of electric tape from them), on SSB, AB setting, at 14v, 50w pep in, well over over 1300 pep out of it, swr of 1.1-1.2. C setting on AM 14.3v, 50w pep in, over 1500w pep out, swr 1.1-1.2. And this will take a max of 100w drive? Havent gone any farther with it, why bother, it will last forever like this. Sorry to hear of everyone's trouble with theirs, guess it depends on who sets it up before you get it.

Where'd you get yours?

Yes, that is pretty much the same thing I see on my Texas Star DX1600V also. I have had mine for about a year. I put Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors in it about 6 months after I got it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Got mine from Jokerman Electronics. Jason is a good guy to deal with.

I did too.
His customer support is lacking very much.
After you receive your product, if any issues come up, well, let's just say I was on my own. No support or offer to take care of the products purchased.
I did not have issues with the Texas Star DX1600V.
I had issues with a power supply sold by him. No help what so ever.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What you are probably seeing is reflect rising with peaks if you are using a cross needle meter like the Daiwa CN-801 etc..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.