• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Purchased new Texas Star DX1600X

I did too.
His customer support is lacking very much.
After you receive your product, if any issues come up, well, let's just say I was on my own. No support or offer to take care of the products purchased.
I did not have issues with the Texas Star DX1600V.
I had issues with a power supply sold by him. No help what so ever.

I never understood why someone who conducts business drops the ball on post sales support. They spend money on advertisement, SEO etc... and yet fail to realise that if you shit on your customers in the end you lose 10x for every dollar.

One happy customer means referrals and word of mouth, and when people know your word is your bond and you back up your products you get many more sales down the line. It pays big dividends to keep your word.

One unhappy customer means people avoid your buisness and over time confidence is eroded and sales begin to drop slowly then pretty rapidly right before you realize cashflow has dried up and its time th shutter the business.

So all that spent on advertisement is wasted money once word on the street is you sell shit or you turn your back on your customers when they have an issue. Might as well pack it up and go.

In all honesty most people suck at Business and math, thats why so many fall by the wayside.

I did too.
His customer support is lacking very much.
After you receive your product, if any issues come up, well, let's just say I was on my own. No support or offer to take care of the products purchased.
I did not have issues with the Texas Star DX1600V.
I had issues with a power supply sold by him. No help what so ever.

Really? After I put my order in he called me about it, called me few more times to let me know of the progress on it, then called me several times after i got it to see if all was good with it. Maybe he has gotten better with his support.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well to each his own i guess, maybe i just got lucky but i would buy from him again. He has a hard time expressing himself but I don't hold it against him.

Does anyone know where I could purchase one of these amps ???????

Hello all just wanted to give a short review of this brand new Texas Star DX1600X. In a word fantastic! Yes it has the DEI 2SC2879's. It is very well made with very good parts and very good soldering. Modification is necessary before it will operate, but it's a very simple modification. Not the typical CW to AMP conversion found on CBradiotricks.com.
Have tested this 1600X very thoroughly. Input matching appears good. Yes it will put out over 1500 watts peak with 15.5volts on the DC input. Driving it very conservative with 12 watt dead key swinging up to 170 watts peak. 12 watt dead key equals to 500 watts RMS out. It will do 800+ watts RMS with a max of around 1500+ peak@15.5vdc. Lots of really cool functions that work great and not found on many of the other amps seen for sale. Paid $775 plus shipping from HYelectronics. Not a full blown competion amp but will still hold its own if fed right. Using it on a 300 amp 13.7 vdc supply with 15 watt dead key my DX1600X just loafs along getting a easy 600 watt carrier with 1200-1300 peak watts. No TVI or any other weirdness from it. Anyway check these TS DX1600X's out. I'm glad I did.
73's

I just looked at this unit on Coppers site. Why is it a violation to use on amature radio? Sorry for the noob question. Im studying for my ticket and thought 1500 was the max for certain bands/freqs.

I just looked at this unit on Coppers site. Why is it a violation to use on amature radio? Sorry for the noob question. Im studying for my ticket and thought 1500 was the max for certain bands/freqs.
Short answer is it's dirty as sin....

Longer answer is once you find a way to bias it into linear transfer , give it all the current it needs , design or add a switched low pass filter network and supply cooling that doesn't sound like a jet engine you are left with the inherent inter-modulation distortion products of a 12V bipolar junction transistor.

I won't often bash an amplifier as "CB junque" when it comes to possible adaptation to the amateur bands but this is one of those rare cases. Even if most other conditions are met the 12 volt transistor is the limitation. The addition of all the necessary bias, filter, power supply, and cooling bring the total cost to something like a type accepted commercial amplifier anyway.

I won't often bash an amplifier as "CB junque" when it comes to possible adaptation to the amateur bands but this is one of those rare cases. Even if most other conditions are met the 12 volt transistor is the limitation. The addition of all the necessary bias, filter, power supply, and cooling bring the total cost to something like a type accepted commercial amplifier anyway.

I totally don't understand why people buy TS amps for base use.
The price of the amp plus the power supply plus the vswr issues plus they are dirty as
hell.
A 3 or 4 tube 811 driven with a 50 watt radio will give you all you need to be heard
and last a long time as long as you tune it properly.
About a third of the 1200-1500 watts you see from the TS amps are "Ghost Watts"
They are nowhere near the frequency you are transmitting on.
Your watt meter only shows total output, not where it is.
Look at one on a spectrum analyzer & see it for yourself if you are doubtful.

Reactions: Sonar and psycho
If ones purchasing a Texas star and is a ticket holder and plans on using the amp on ham band (and or even 11 with the mars mod) you need to go back to school. NO INSULT INTENDED. Why would an amateur radio operator want a Texas star? Hook up with in Elmer. He'll not only set you straight but will probably have something sitting in his closet there and he'll offer to you for price you wouldn't get anywhere else. Those types of guys (Elmer's) enjoy helping newbies. And usually go out of their way in order to help that newbie understand the equipment and amateur radio operator should use.
And why the sweet 16 (1600?)
The difference on the other end between the sweet 16 (1600watts) will be negligible compared to the Texas star 500.
If the intended use is for 11 meters (CB use) the same holds true. Thrre will be no difference on the other end between 16000 watts and 500 (unless the person the receiving end has a microscope pointed at his RF meter.)
If the amplifier you're looking for is to be used on amateur bands in a base setting get yourself a decent amateur amplifier. Ameritron makes decent amplifiers at a decent price. 600 watts will suffice. If it's 4 CB Radio use do what many do and get yourself a brand new 500 Texas Star. There's a guy on eBay who sells them out of Brooklyn New York brand new. I recommended him to a couple of people who eventually purchased a few different Texas Star amps from that very seller and we're very happy with them. As a matter of fact if you eBay message him he has access to brand new Texas Star sweet sixteens (even though I don't know why anyone would want to spend so much money on the extra output that get you not a single s unit on the other end. Either way Good luck my friend 73

Thank you fellows . I doubt i will ever buy one of these amps, never really even thought about buying one. I was asking why it says on Coppers website in big red letters that it is a violation to use it on amature radio. I mean, it is legal to use a amp on some bands/freqs as long as your not over 1500 watts? Right? I get that its dirty, needs filters, lots of work, but does the fcc care? Just confused. At this stage of the hobby for me, stock power should last my learning curve for a long time.

Reactions: Sonar
Thank you fellows . I doubt i will ever buy one of these amps, never really even thought about buying one. I was asking why it says on Coppers website in big red letters that it is a violation to use it on amature radio. I mean, it is legal to use a amp on some bands/freqs as long as your not over 1500 watts? Right? I get that its dirty, needs filters, lots of work, but does the fcc care? Just confused. At this stage of the hobby for me, stock power should last my learning curve for a long time.
Are you using an HF (amateur radio) transceiver? If so I'm assuming it's a hundred Watts. 100 Watts is more than sufficient. Most people concentrate on output (wattage.) Concentrate on your antenna and you will see the magic. It's something that took me three years to understand. 100 watt transmitter will out perform a 500 watt transmitter with the correct antenna (SWR/reflected power.) The correct antenna will give you more DB/s-unit gain on the other end at hundred Watts as compared to a 500 watt transmitter with a subpar antenna (and coax.) Not to mention the advantages of being able to receive a station that one with a subpar antenna or a good antenna setup poorly will over a decent antenna set up properly. Coax is also a factor. Always go for the best coax first ?
LMR 400 (very expensive compared to others but in my opinion worth it) is a good choice although there are many excellent coaxial cables available on the market. Just ask the members of this site for their opinions on coax cable and antenna for your particular band operation. It'll save you money in the long run. Most people who purchased subpar coax will inevitably figure out that a higher-quality higher-cost coax is worth it in the end. The loss between a good coax and a poorly made one can be as much 50% of your signal from the transmitter to the antenna. Good luck and 73's

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.