• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Purifying Water

Iron in solution cannot be simply filtered out. You need some sort of water softener. My well water is high in iron. I live with it. The toilet and sink/tub get stained now and then but it is easily removed with some type of cleaner the wife uses. I have a 3 micron inline filter installed but that is simply to prevent tiny pieces of stone from clogging the screens in the faucets and the washer. My well is 100 feet deep and drilled into slate starting at about 4 feet below the surface. I have two water lines from it. One comes into the house and the other simply acts as an overflow. If I plug the overflow off the water rises up out of the well casing and flows over the ground. I have so much water flow in the well that the slate keeps washing tiny pieces of stone out of all the cracks in the rock and it finds it's way into the plumbing hence the inline filter before distribution throughout the house.
Yup! Just used big bottle of CLR to take it off. It builds up in hot water tank....can't ever get it all out. Just sick looking when turn lights on and bathroom has red everywhere.

Just buy a water softener and be done with it. That's what we did.
Naw! I like hard water like hard cider.....LOL.

I know, I know, it's the latest craze. I'm just cheap and don't want to bite the bullet. Then there's the salt pellets..... maybe I can get one big enough to drop a cattle sized salt lick in there. Would last long time.

Yup! Just used big bottle of CLR to take it off. It builds up in hot water tank....can't ever get it all out. Just sick looking when turn lights on and bathroom has red everywhere.

We use Iron Out which comes in a powder and is readily available at any hardware store or select grocery stores. It works MUCH better than CLR. It is what is recommended to clean out the water softeners after they get an iron build up in them. The wife will throw a little in the washer and let it do a cycle every now and then and sometimes even soaks her uniforms in a solution of water and Iron Out to restore the whites. She is a nurse so HAS to wear white tops. Don't use it in hot water however as the fumes can be rather strong but cool or tepid water is fine.

Iron Out.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Capt , Thanks for that ! I use CLR . But that put a stain in my Stainless Steel Sink that won't come out . I need to look it up see if it's available near by or I have to order it . Ps , Never saw that in the local stores here in RI .:) Come in handy I have well water .

We use Iron Out which comes in a powder and is readily available at any hardware store or select grocery stores. It works MUCH better than CLR. It is what is recommended to clean out the water softeners after they get an iron build up in them. The wife will throw a little in the washer and let it do a cycle every now and then and sometimes even soaks her uniforms in a solution of water and Iron Out to restore the whites. She is a nurse so HAS to wear white tops. Don't use it in how water however as the fumes can be rather strong but cool or tepid water is fine.

View attachment 31859
Thanks for that information. Even if I have to order it. We have limited retailers in Porta Lavaca, Walmart, HEB (grocery store), and Ace Hardware (high dollar for anything). May have something up in Victoria. Doubt it.

My FRC work clothes are rusty color. Have brand new FRC blue and white shirts I don't wear because of junk in wash water.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Naw! I like hard water like hard cider.....LOL.

I know, I know, it's the latest craze. I'm just cheap and don't want to bite the bullet. Then there's the salt pellets..... maybe I can get one big enough to drop a cattle sized salt lick in there. Would last long time.
I think the salt lick might hurt the unit. They say not to put rock salt in there. Rock salt, table salt, and the salt lick are sodium salt. I believe the salt pellets for the softener are potassium salt. You can get pellets that are made for high iron water too.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
Capt , Thanks for that ! I use CLR . But that put a stain in my Stainless Steel Sink that won't come out . I need to look it up see if it's available near by or I have to order it . Ps , Never saw that in the local stores here in RI .:) Come in handy I have well water .

You can get it on Amazon if that is an option for you.

I think the salt lick might hurt the unit. They say not to put rock salt in there. Rock salt, table salt, and the salt lick are sodium salt. I believe the salt pellets for the softener are potassium salt. You can get pellets that are made for high iron water too.

Resin type water softeners usually use sodium chloride type salt to clean the resin. Potassium chloride can be used but it takes more of it and it is more expensive. The best type of salt to use is evaporated type salt. It is almost 100% free of any impurities like what is in rock/road salt. Impurities plug up the resin tank and may cause bridging in the brine tank as the salt will clump together. My parents had a salt type water softener for YEARS until they sold the house a couple years ago. AFAIK the new owners still use it.

I've been funneling in some Iron out, cleans my filters right out. Captain Kilowatt's the guy who turned me onto that stuff.(y) Sure it is probably composed of limestone, once in the system I run a little water to get it down the line. Let sit, run it some more, let sit. Just enough to move it along at intervals. Iron oxide drops right out, but have the H2S, sulfur smell like rotten eggs. Day or so all gone. Really works on my softener, some kind of silicate gel stuff. Water here is really hard, above 450 in hardness test.

I've been funneling in some Iron out, cleans my filters right out. Captain Kilowatt's the guy who turned me onto that stuff.(y) Sure it is probably composed of limestone, once in the system I run a little water to get it down the line. Let sit, run it some more, let sit. Just enough to move it along at intervals. Iron oxide drops right out, but have the H2S, sulfur smell like rotten eggs. Day or so all gone. Really works on my softener, some kind of silicate gel stuff. Water here is really hard, above 450 in hardness test.
Yep, that sulphur dioxide is some stinky shit. Got it here too.

Reactions: 357magnum
Remember living in Brooksville, came out of shower smelling worse than I went in.
My EX-girl friend has a well on her property and the water always smelled like road kill. I talked her in to letting me get it tested by the state lab. I could not even begin to tell you how many bad chemicals were in there, but the worst was decomposing organic proteins. She had a bad break up with her husband she got the new house in a rural setting and he got the bills. She the one I flushed her Christmas gift cell phone down the toilette. Not too surprising the divorce went bad.
I think he poured many gallons of pig blood into he well.

Reactions: 357magnum
Shallow wells are more prone to foul smells. One here is 400+ deep. Draw at pump is 55' deep. No bad smell. Just terrible iron oxide. Once the iron out does its thing, h2s smell. But disapates in a day or two. The small softener I have helps the water taste and detergent goes much farther. I still go get water at the machine and refill bottles for drinking. May have to stop. Could be Covid at the Windmill Water dispensary.

May set up my 220 gal tote elevated about 5 foot and treat the well water with hypochlorite, pool shock. A table spoon to 8 liters makes a solution that will treat 10,000 gallons. A small RV water pump running on 12v will push enough from tank to camper. We ran my camper and the house that way for months. Had two 220 gal totes on a trailer we would take to town and fill when needed.

There are some plans out there for sand filters using play sand and river rock. One uses three blue plastic barrels stacked on wood frame. Each barrel on its side, one above the other. Top barrel is feed from low point at one end and outflow from high point on other. Each barrel is daisy chained in same fashion. Outflow of bottom barrel is high point of one end. Between barrels a typical household filter is used. A screening system is incorporated into bungs at outflow. Couple more household filters with charcoal cartridges completes system at outflow of third barrel. Charcoal could be introduced at second and third barrel.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.